Old 02-06-2016, 02:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default any suggestions

64 Tempest. The passenger door is stuck at ajar. The door closes but when trying to open it, it only opens to ajar position. You know, when the door is closed, but not all the way. You can still lean on the door from the inside but it will not open until the door handle is operated. I have the door panel off, see the latch mechanism but cant figure out how to get it to release. Its been a frustrating morning

Old 02-07-2016, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Try...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grrrrregg!!! View Post
64 Tempest. The passenger door is stuck at ajar. The door closes but when trying to open it, it only opens to ajar position. You know, when the door is closed, but not all the way. You can still lean on the door from the inside but it will not open until the door handle is operated. I have the door panel off, see the latch mechanism but cant figure out how to get it to release. Its been a frustrating morning
adjusting the latch post in a bit. If I understand your problem correctly...this should fix it. If not...a new latch may be in order. Good luck.

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a similar problem on my Lemans Sport and finally ended up having to take a die grinder to the latch mechanism and cutting it away. It didn't hurt too bad because even if it had finally released I would have replaced it to ensure it did not reoccur.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

weird its the passenger...because the drivers wears out and does exactly what you describe.

the first thing id look at is linkage..then the mechanism..when they are dry they do weird things...get some lubri-plate and spray it good and latch it 3 or 4 times with a screw driver to see if it gets better...before you close the door, and its stuck shut...thats a whole other problem..lol

The Goat whisperer

"I spent a lot of my money on booze, crazy women, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered."

Old 02-07-2016, 05:23 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by marxjunk View Post
weird its the passenger...because the drivers wears out and does exactly what you describe.

the first thing id look at is linkage..then the mechanism..when they are dry they do weird things...get some lubri-plate and spray it good and latch it 3 or 4 times with a screw driver to see if it gets better...before you close the door, and its stuck shut...thats a whole other problem..lol

yep, that's what I have, stuck partially shut. I can lean on it and close it all the way. But still wont release pass the safety part of the latch. Since I have the inside door panel off I am currently soaking it with wd40 and whatever else I have.

Old 02-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

Smile

PERSISTENCE pays off, various spray release agents and lubricants and I finally won, end of short story.

thanks all