Old 02-24-2016, 05:02 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
The more I see the more I like. I personally wouldn't remove the carpet, or anyting else. Buyers want complete and non-messed with. Pretty obvious this car isn't a rust bucket. If the car were mine, I'd repair the trunk floor----and not replace it. The more original parts, the higher the integrity, IMO. I would say you have a 20k-25k car here, mainly because of the color combo....that helps a lot. If it were gold on gold, it would be a 15k car. The automatic hurts the value on this one. If it were a 4 speed car, it would probably be worth 8-10k more. At least that's my opinion. Hope it makes it BACK to CA!!

Gee, I was thinking , hope it makes it to Michigan, and my garage.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:15 PM
Boost Engineer

Right now you have a Car with a GTO Vin Number and the beginnings of a rare car that with a LOT of $$$ could be worth what you put into it.

Say a person dropped 40K into fixing the thing up so you go from a #5 car worth 8K to a #4 car worth 48K. So the person winds up with a 64 GTO convertible and at the end of the day did not lose any money or make any money on the value of the car. But now the car is a very nice 64 GTO Convertible car. If that same person always wanted to own a 64 GTO convertible and could do most of the mechanical stuff on the car then maybe you make a few bucks.

To put that kind of money into a car in that shape (even with some nice options) is a flip of the coin as some would buy the car and strip out the wood wheel, the GTO Hood, the GTO Engine (as other 64 GTO intakes are out there). Make their 8K back plus some money selling the VIN but now another 64 GTO Vert is gone for ever.

Tom V.

ps Some have posted the value at 15K and higher so then it is up to the final buyer where he goes from there with the car.
In my mind worth the effort to save it for sure by someone.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Agreed that most of us here would love to have it. It's my favorite color combination, and a lot of other folks' as well. It looks to be a solid, un-messed with car that deserves a restoration or at the very least, to be cleaned up and driven as-is. If it were made road-worthy, and cleaned up as-is, it would draw huge crowds at shows and events. It's just a darn good looking car.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:01 AM

Did the GTO come from Niagara Falls? If so I tried buying it in 1981. The seller went to school in California and brought the car with him when he returned home. Barry

Old 02-25-2016, 02:48 AM

I think it was Niagara Falls. It was 1981. I know he brought it into Canada. I think he was selling it because he was doing an Aston Martin DB 3 or 4. Needed the money to buy parts.

Old 02-25-2016, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Although the paint is not as nice as I had imagined. I still think the range I gave is fair.
To do a proper restoration on this could be a double nickel plus, but if one wanted to just spend 20k beyond the sale price, one could have a very nice car that would show well.
The only question is if someone could find a nice #3, low 2 car in the same or similar configuration for $40K. That would be the best choice. (in my opinion)

Old 02-25-2016, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Interested if still considering for sale , send Pm with email & tel.# , thank you

Old 02-25-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
Interested if still considering for sale , send Pm with email & tel.# , thank you
I just sent you a PM