Old 08-01-2019, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 66-67 GTO Ram Air Hood

Anyone ever perform the hood cutout procedure for Ram Air on a painted hood? I'm ready to add it to my 66.

Any advice would be appreciated.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 08-02-2019, 05:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As I'm sure you may have seen some of the factory installed images that float around the web.
The Cuts were never very clean.
Not sure if correctness is a concern but if so, matching the way they were originally cutout looks to only require hand snips or a can opener.
Point being the Template that also floats around is more of a guide rather then how one should look.

Just be sure to cover the complete engine bay and fenders with heavy blankets or such, when conducting this procedure.

This article covers it pretty well but they too make it to pretty IMHO.
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hppp...c-gto-ram-air/

JM2C
Cheers.

Old 08-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Jeff.

I have seen that article from Hot Rod. It is pretty good so I am using some of those images as a reference. I think I am going to remove the hood to do it.

I will keep everyone posted and maybe share some pictures.

1966 GTO Hardtop - PS 14.84 @ 97mph
Old 08-03-2019, 02:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I did it many years ago, turned out good. Car is on rotisserie now

6.0 cert. Fiat bodied altered blown alcohol Pontiac IAII-Sold
Old 08-03-2019, 09:02 AM

Default Took the less traveled road

During my 67 GTO restoration back in 2013 I chose to make a conversion to RA. The car was not a factory Ram Air vehicle and I never really thought about it ahead of time but when the engine came out, much to my surprise, it turned out to be a 1970 RA III motor so that was my motivation. I got repro RA exhaust manifolds (2 1/2"), a steel RA pan and did no modification to the hood itself but did have the body shop shave down the foam seal to where it would mate to the underside of the hood better. Seems to do fine and adds a little support to the center of the hood although it's probably not really necessary. The last thing I did was open up the low spots between the ribs on the hood insert very carefully with a thin bayflex wheel on a die grinder. It was tedious work but the outcome was great. According to some reading I did on this site, the difference in airflow vs. total cutout of the fins in the scoop is not an issue. As far as I can tell, this was an accurate assessment

Old 08-06-2019, 03:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I converted and cut my '68 hood while it was on the car. Not that bad... Just used an old blanket to cover everything under the hood and extended out over the fenders. Took about 1 hour. As always, measure twice, cut once.