Old 06-24-2001, 05:20 PM

I'm buying a 70 GTO,The 400 engine in it needs to be rebuilt,but I'm not sure if I want to rebuild it, or get a 455 at a later date.I have access to a 427 chevy with 3000 miles on a rebuild ( the car was recked )for a very reasonable price.What I want to know is,what needs to be changed as far as getting the engine in.
Hoggsnott

Old 06-24-2001, 05:20 PM

I'm buying a 70 GTO,The 400 engine in it needs to be rebuilt,but I'm not sure if I want to rebuild it, or get a 455 at a later date.I have access to a 427 chevy with 3000 miles on a rebuild ( the car was recked )for a very reasonable price.What I want to know is,what needs to be changed as far as getting the engine in.
Hoggsnott

Old 06-28-2001, 02:07 AM

frame stands,fuel line rerouted,wirng harness modified, bellhousing/trans case. exterior emblems to bowties. mike

[This message has been edited by mike nixon (edited 06-28-2001).]

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 06-28-2001, 10:24 AM

"exterior emblems to bowties" .... nice touch, Mike. Sarcasm that subtle is rarely seen around here.

Richard/Vegas

If you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes.
Old 06-28-2001, 05:34 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Oh, If the car is an automatic you will need another transmission! Bolt patterns are different. It's your car but Rebuilding the 400 makes more sense in terms of value and practicality.

------------------
Gatomon
A car is cheaper than a girlfriend. Better than a wife. If it gives you trouble you can park it and forget about it!

Old 06-28-2001, 09:42 PM
Suspended

Yank the 427 Chevy. It's too small.

Look on some of the hardcore racing BB's for something like a 615 or 638 Chevy. Either of these can be had, freshened, for a lot less than an all-aftermarket Pontiac-based engine. And you won't be wheezing through small block Chevy-sized intake ports like a Pontiac, either.

You'll need either a Chevy-pattern TH400, or an old-style Lenco 4 speed.

That should just about do it.

Old 07-01-2001, 10:49 PM

Thank you for your replys. ( even the funny ones ) The 427 is just a temp.engine until I can get the other rebuilt.( no need for bowties ) I understand that they make a adapter plate to fit a chevy engine to a olds,pont.,buick trans. I just wanted to know what,if anything, needs to be moved,or cut to fit it in. Thanks again,
Steve