Old 12-05-2011, 04:38 PM

Last picture to above post from Dennis

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
Old 12-06-2011, 12:00 AM
PY VIP

I had my buddy post the photos on the above knobs and golf balls. The first photo shows the 3 white knobs in my collection you can clearly see 3 styles of type style (font). I then flipped them over for the second photo keeping them in the same order. Notice the 3rd knob the insert has a hex or nut style insert whereas the others do not.

The next single shot ball has a white/grey marble look to it. I think this is due to the fact machine was not cleaned out prior to switching to another color. Since alot of my stuff came from the top brass at Hurst some of my collection is prototypes. However, I am guessing on that.

Next up is the blue and red knobs in the 3 speed version from Hurst and the 4-speed. The 3 speed I am pretty certain would be rarer. These colors were never big sellers for Hurst. These knobs are new never used.

The next two are unique colors again may be prototypes.

Last but not least obviousily these are golf balls....no date appears on the packaging. However, it is the later Hurst logo which was used star ting around 1980 or so and prior to Mr Gasket coming in and buying Hurts and moving it to Brook Park, Ohio.

Where these offered for sale? I have no idea never seen them in a catalog again may be a promotional samples that were made and considered and never sold.\

Whatever the case, you seldom see what I have pictured here.

Enjoy....

If Bill don't object I can post more unique knobs here later this week....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Hurst did make one knob that was really very distinctive and I have no idea where it was used...it was black embossed with the Hurst lettering in gold.....really slick looking...

Old 12-06-2011, 11:10 AM

Default Additional Photos

Dennis,
Please post additional photos when you get a chance. Thanks!
Bill

Old 12-07-2011, 01:06 AM
PY VIP

Took some photos tonite wil have secretary download and I will forward to my buddy to post....got some knobs I doubt anyone has seen...also the one photo shows an original black GTO knob and the larger black GTO knob used I think starting in 1970. The smaller black one I believe was used beginning in 1966. Again going by memory. Another photo will show what I think was probably a prototype Hurst knob as I never seen any others. It was difficult to photograph but its a glossy black knob with the H embossed and in gold says Hurst.

The only connection with the topic of 1964-65 GTOs is some of these knobs would have been available during that time span from Hurst....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Knobs was one thing I really went after from Hurst to collect as they were cheap back in the day. Eventually I will show the Amco knob we sold for many many years. Looked slightly like the 1966 GTO walnut knob but rounder. I always thought the 1966 GTO walnut knob looked
small.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Hi,
I'd pair a more then fair price for an original worn and crazed white 4-speed knob for my '65 GTO, I can use it with or without the brass insert, but an aged patina is must.
If any of you have one you would like to sell, please contact me at jgoldacsind@yahoo.com.
Thank you, Jeff

Old 12-07-2011, 03:48 PM

Thanz to Mr AMC Guy for posting..

I will give descriptions later tonite

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept Cars View Post
Hi,
I'd pair a more then fair price for an original worn and crazed white 4-speed knob for my '65 GTO
email sent

Old 12-08-2011, 01:29 AM
PY VIP

Descriptions with the photos Mr AMC Guy has posted for me since I lack that ability.

The first one shows four different color Hurst fuzz knobs some of you probably have seen the T Handles Hurst did with the fuzz on them but probably not seen the round knobs with the same treatment. These may be prototypes if they did sell them they didn;t sell many of them as I haven't seen them. These are brand new.

The second grouping shows an original 1966 thru 1969? GTO regular size black shifter knob and next to it is an example of the larger one that I believe they started to use around 1970.

The last photo its ashame it doesn't look great but in my opinion is one of the coolest knobs Hurst made. Its glossy black embossed H with the word Hurst in gold in the center. A classy looking knob that I know would sell today.

Again was it ever marketed? I really don;t know. Unfortunately I acquired most of my collection back in the 1970s and early 1980s and never really knew if it was a production item or not. Many of these came from executives who had them. In other words they were not packaged.

I do not have any knobs for sale....sorry. I agree that an aged or slightly yellow knob would look good on a GTO (patina).....

None of my examples are a bright white as they have an aged look to them. We will post more tomorrow sometime. Again these will be more rare examples.

If you follow ebay some of them today fetch some good money.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-08-2011, 04:13 PM

gain thanz to Mr AMC Guy for posting my photos will follow up with description tonite

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-09-2011, 01:07 AM
PY VIP

Explanation of the above 3 T-handles. All 3 of course are original and quite old reason they appear somewhat yellow. The 3-speed would be quite rare. The first one again may have been a prototype or a very low production T-handle as I never seen another one. Have you?

More to come tomorrow.

Sorry but none of my personal collection is for sale.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

be amazed at just how many different knobs and T handles Hurst actually made....I know in my collection I have over 40 different ones.

Old 12-09-2011, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis, is the bottom T-handle in the photo painted metal or white 'plastic'? If 'plastic' I've never seen one like that, or the other 2, from Hurst in all these years. Just the aluminum ones. It's the same in looks to the one I just got from PY. Even tho mine is 'plastic' I really like it. Only thing is it didn't come with the locking nut.... I reused the one I already have.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with GT182...they all appear to be white plastic, and I have never, ever, seen one....and I've been staring at shift knobs since I was 5 years old!!!

Old 12-09-2011, 02:16 PM
PY VIP

will look tonite as to the base of them...yes they are white plastic but turning from age to what you see above...mine are over 25 plus years old. I am familar with per years reproductions as I worked with him to get his Hurst reproductions licensed by Hurst.

I don't believe anyone has reproduced the 3 speed version due to lack of interest and possible sales volume.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

got some real unique ones posting next.

Old 12-09-2011, 02:29 PM

thanz to Mr AMC Guy for posting description will come tonite.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Fayetteville, NC
Old 12-09-2011, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis, the last T-handle in the photo set above has the closed 4. I take it it's an original made by Hurst. It sure looks like it is to me by it showing it's age. We've been told by the repo sellers that the closed 4 is not correct, as that is what they are selling now.... not the open 4. Who and what is right?

I might add too that you sure have an impressive collection of Hurst shifter knobs and T-handles.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 12-09-2011, 10:58 PM
PY VIP

On the 4-speed pattern T handles....close and open 4 question....

One thing is certain:

two versions exist closed and open #4....GM used one style and Ford used the other style both companies used them in 1969-1970 vintage.....GHM with the Judge and Ford with the Mustang and Cobra Torinas or one of those models. (I am going by memory)

As to which you which I honestly do not remember. However, someone reading this may have an orignal 1969 GTO Judge brochure it featured an orange Judge and one of the close up photos in the brochure showed the shifter and whatever 4 was used on that is the one I would think is correct.

Now does it agree with what performance Years made? I do not know. Again I am not an expert on this.

What is also interesting is that both Gm and Ford was starting to buy shifter handles from Hurst rather than make their own like they did with the ball style knobs earlier.

Also my white 4 speed pattern Hurst knob has no insert it is brand new and prior to getting an insert....something I did not realize til now...my others have the metal insert and they are not painted.

The black ball shown in this last group of photos is actually the small black ball Pontiac used on the dual gate shifters in 1967-68.

The really rare T handles in the same group of photos are either prototypes or low production ones from my private collection.

We will get more photos posted come Monday again as I have some original Hurst packaging that T handles came in.

Its good to see the interest.....several have emailed me. Again I repeat none of these are for sale....its all part of my private collection.

I know some of them are worth some pretty good money but I will not sell any of my private
collection.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't know there were the 2 styles of the 4 back in the day for Ford and GM. I've haven't seen many or paid much attention to the ones Ford used with the open 4. Now I know why the closed 4 is correct for Pontiac. Thanks again Dennis.

I sure hope you'll show us your collection at your next show.... if you have another one.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 12-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great thread!

Maybe Pete Serio can she some light on this.

Why are some of the shifter threads coarse and some others are fine?

My 1966 Hurst shifter which I bought from you back in the early 90' has a coarse thread but the walnut knob I have purchased more recently (not from you), has fine threads. Obviously this will not work!! : )

Thanks,
Don

1966 GTO

1966 421-9.3-1 comp-Race Tec 23cc Pistons
1966 Tri-Power
1967 670 Heads
Pontiac "Highlift" TriPower Cam by SpeedPro
DUR 214 Int 224 Exh @.050 - 107 ICL
LIFT .445" Int .465" Exh
Tri-Y-Headers by Tribal Tubes w/ Goerlich Mufflers
1966 Muncie Wide Ratio 4-Speed
1968-72 Chevy 12 Bolt Rear End w/ 3.73 rear gears
Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hurst threads

Because the original GM knobs were all plastic-including the threads Pontiac specified that the round stick factory shifters all be made with 3/8" X 16 (coarse) threads on top. All factory round stick GTO and Lemans shifters came this way.

There are 100s of accessory and aftermarket knobs and they came in many different thread sizes. Also some repo knobs are sold to different brands and years of car people so those often get "cross-marketed" between the brands.

You simply have to match up your knob and your shifter stick.

During the 1960s ALL aftermarket and over the counter speed shop Hurst shifters for GM cars came with FLAT sticks and had fine 3/8"X24 threads on top. Back then Hurst sold replacement and accessory knobs and T-handles in both thread sizes and still do to this day!

Later on this evening, let me see if I can find a few sticks and I will post some photos of OE vs. aftermarket. In the 1960s all the Hurst shifters intended for GM cars were made so that the stick and the mechanism were a unit assembly. It is impossible to remove the stick from the shifter unless you take the entire shifter all the way apart!!!!

Later, around 1969-1970 someone came up with the idea to make the shifter and the chrome stick as two separate parts, which attached together with a pair of 3/8'X24 grade 8 bolts and nuts directly underneath the boot.

I cannot recall a factory shifter for any GM car that ever bolted on, this was strictly for the aftermarket; the way they did things.

Personally I think the 1960s Hurst shifters are far stronger and better made than later ones due, in-part, to the stick being a conjoined part of the lower assembly. The plating they used in the 1960s was silver colored cadmium; later they switch to a gray phosphate, around May-June of the year 1970.

Last edited by Peter Serio; 12-10-2011 at 03:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serio View Post
Because the original GM knobs were all plastic-including the threads Pontiac specified that the round stick factory shifters all be made with 3/8" X 16 (coarse) threads on top. All factory round stick GTO and Lemans shifters came this way.

There are 100s of accessory and aftermarket knobs and they came in many different thread sizes. Also some repo knobs are sold to different brands and years of car people so those often get "cross-marketed" between the brands.

You simply have to match up your knob and your shifter stick.

During the 1960s ALL aftermarket and over the counter speed shop Hurst shifters for GM cars came with FLAT sticks and had fine 3/8"X24 threads on top. Back then Hurst sold replacement and accessory knobs and T-handles in both thread sizes and still do to this day!

Later on this evening, let me see if I can find a few sticks and I will post some photos of OE vs. aftermarket. In the 1960s all the Hurst shifters intended for GM cars were made so that the stick and the mechanism were a unit assembly. It is impossible to remove the stick from the shifter unless you take the entire shifter all the way apart!!!!

Later, around 1969-1970 someone came up with the idea to make the shifter and the chrome stick as two separate parts, which attached together with a pair of 3/8'X24 grade 8 bolts and nuts directly underneath the boot.

I cannot recall a factory shifter for any GM car that ever bolted on, this was strictly for the aftermarket; the way they did things.

Personally I think the 1960s Hurst shifters are far stronger and better made than later ones due, in-part, to the stick being a conjoined part of the lower assembly. The plating they used in the 1960s was silver colored cadmium; later they switch to a gray phosphate, around May-June of the year 1970.
Thanks Pete.
Also, I thought they started in 1967 that the shifters were made in 2 different "pieces" so that one could just unbolt the shifter from the assembly??

Thanks again,
Don

1966 GTO

1966 421-9.3-1 comp-Race Tec 23cc Pistons
1966 Tri-Power
1967 670 Heads
Pontiac "Highlift" TriPower Cam by SpeedPro
DUR 214 Int 224 Exh @.050 - 107 ICL
LIFT .445" Int .465" Exh
Tri-Y-Headers by Tribal Tubes w/ Goerlich Mufflers
1966 Muncie Wide Ratio 4-Speed
1968-72 Chevy 12 Bolt Rear End w/ 3.73 rear gears