Old 12-21-2011, 03:55 PM

Again thanz to Mr AMC Guy for posting as usual I will follow up tonite with a description of the photos.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
Old 12-22-2011, 01:59 AM
PY VIP

Description for above 2 photos.

The first seems to be two versions of the factory Pontiac knobs from the early 1970s. Each is alitle different. Its been so long I honestly don;t remember what the story is behind them. Both I think are real Pontiac knobs.

The second photo the first one I think is a Firebird walnut knob again early 1970s? the second knob is a reproduction not sure if I did it or just bought it years ago shows the early 1966-67 style GTO insert but its in the bigger walnut knob rather than the dinky 1966-67 style.

I am going to have to take a break on posting stuff with the holidays and being closed part of next week. We will pick up again after New Years as I still have a few more to picture.

I welcome any comments on the above knobs as I don;t claim to be an expert on the ones I just posted recently. All of them I have had for over 10-15 years so they are old.

If nothing else you are now aware of quite a number of different shifter knobs exist and can be picked up at swap meets pretty reasonable unless it says Hurst then prices at least for NOS old ones can be pricy. I have seen T handles NOS ones bring $150 each or more.

Merry Christmas......

Take time to reflect and best wishes for all in the upcoming New Year.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can someone confirm which is the correct Shifter Knob for a '68 Firebird ordered with the Custom Walnut Knob? (4spd). The one I have for my '68 Firebird RAI Conv. is the "Pontiac Motor Division" knob w/4spd pattern. I've heard differing opinions about this.. .that the '68 Firebird Walnut Knob was actually the GTO crest style and that the "Pontiac Motor Division" Knob didn't appear until the '69 model year.

Appreciate your thoughts on this.

Thanks,

Semper Fi
Old 12-28-2011, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just a thought. This is a very interesting thread. I noticed that, on the back of the Restoration Guide, there is a picture of what appears to be,NOS white and black knobs.
The "3" is definitely rounded on the top,no flat horizontal line like the repops. Larry B.

Old 12-28-2011, 11:39 PM
PY VIP

Pertaining to the knobs on the restoration guide....I have Paul and Chucks restoration guide actually signed personally by Chuck second edition covers 64-72 years...not sure where this photo of the knobs is.

As for the current reproductions I admit I am out of the loop on any of the reproductions since my time frame is when the restoration business started originally with these cars back when it was ames-bobs pontiac-year one-bethels goat farm basically they were the major players back in early days 1978-1981 time frame.

We will feature more knobs starting mid week next week as my secretary is of to then.

I am sure their is probably today several reproductions of the white shifter knobs out there...
Its unfortunate but that is how it is. back in the early days most of us would discuss what we planned to make so to avoid duplicates.....not the case anymore.

not saying its a bad thing just stating things have changed a lot since our early involvement.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Old 12-29-2011, 01:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
Just a thought. This is a very interesting thread. I noticed that, on the back of the Restoration Guide, there is a picture of what appears to be,NOS white and black knobs.
The "3" is definitely rounded on the top,no flat horizontal line like the repops. Larry B.
I posted pictures of mine, which is the original '64 knob that was on the car when I purchased it. The top of the 3 is flat.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:11 PM

This is a great thread on the original knobs. The original with no metal insert and round 3 are almost impossible to find. I guess a lot broke off and or were swapped for the Hurst knobs. I have been looking for a while to find one for my 65 GTO but no luck.My quest continues.......

Old 10-11-2015, 08:12 PM
Boost Engineer

I don't have pics of my knobs or Hurst "T-Handle" but the original White Ball matches OMT's description, the Hurst "T-Handle" was purchased in late 1965 and matches the Hurst Advertisement Picture.

Tom V

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-30-2015, 10:36 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

I have to agree with bigpop in Post No. 64. I believe the 3 on the originals had the upper part of the 3 rounded. The original numbers on the originals had a weaker font, and were not as bold as the aftermarket balls. The original numbers were also taller than most of the aftermarket numbers that I have seen.
I don't know if I read it here or heard it elsewhere, but it was thought that a blue/green material was applied to the threads of the shifter ball. The originals that I have seen have shown no evidence of any application of any material. It is most likely that the material observed was lock-tite or equivalent, applied after the plastic threads became loose.
The center shifter ball pictured below is the original, out of a March, 1964 GTO assembled in Pontiac. The balls on the sides are aftermarket.
I was able to use a worn piece of 320 dry sandpaper to remove minor scratches and nicks, taking care not to remove the molding seam along the circumference of the ball. Sanding also removed the yellowing of the ball. I finished it with a hand applied polishing glaze.

Bear with me as I relearn this photo process.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Shifter Knobs 001.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	411798   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Shifter Knobs 002.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	411799   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Shifter Knobs 003.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	411800   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Shifter Knobs 004.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	411801   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Shifter Knobs 006.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	411802  

Old 02-28-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theamcguy View Post
Dennis Kirban says:
I will put a description to these photos later tonight

special thanks to Mr AMC Guy for posting for me

denniskirban@yahoo.com

So in post 20 all 3 white balls are aftermarkets and if they are are they all by Hurst? I was very interested in the first one with the flat bottom as I know the originals all had flat bottoms with rounded 3's. I know that one does not have the rounded 3 but has the flat bottom.