Old 01-18-2016, 02:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 64 Taillight wiring

Would someone post a pic of the routing of the tail lamp harness please. 64 lemans/GTO along the rear trunk panel.

Old 01-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it a California car?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-18-2016, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

KC...........
I should have taken a disassembly pic to get the harness installed correctly. Too many possible routes for the very left part of the harness. Could be installed below the t-lamp mounting pod or it looks like even a route through the mount......?? Either way the nylon clips might work in their respective holes on the left but the right gets short.

Old 01-18-2016, 06:41 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Is it a California car?

That is an interesting question. Is there a difference in rear tail wiring between CA. cars and all others?

Old 01-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think there was a service bulletin about the rear lights on California cars.
They had a different law then.
(maybe something about reverse lights not sure)

I'll see if I can find it.

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-20-2016, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

found

Old 01-20-2016, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool!

Was yours a California car?
(I couldn't find the service news yet)

Old 01-20-2016, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mine is a KC car. I can`t believe no one had a pic of the t-lite harness here. They probably are not sure they have the routing correct. (very different than one thinks) I recalled an unmolested car just south of here and drove down to investigate and it was a Fremont car but sold here in AZ. Nothing appears different with the reverse lamps and loom provisions are the same including correct placement of the associated retaining clips.

Old 01-24-2016, 08:09 PM
Senior Chief

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...+light+harness

Old 01-24-2016, 08:11 PM
Senior Chief

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...84&postcount=6

Old 01-25-2016, 01:04 AM
Senior Chief

For 1964

War eagle,

I messed up Post No. 9, as I was trying to delete and edit this post, and not successful with either attempt.

Referencing my MPC's (1964 and 1965), only one part number was given for the rear harness. Based on observations of several harnesses, I believe the paper identification tag (when still present) were the same (will need to check my notes tomorrow. I believe there were no differences in these harnesses between the Fremont plant and the other three plants. I could not find any reference in the Service Bulletin, except for comments (64-32 and 64-78) dealing with the use of tool J-21410 for the field installation of back-up lamps.
When measuring the various harnesses, I have found less than a 1" difference in total length and at the points where leads exit the main harness. As far as routing, I believe all four plants were similar.
I thought I had posted pictures previously in this forum, but could only find the comment I posted in Post No. 10. I believe I have several pictures on file, and will attempt to post them tomorrow. If not, I have a rear harness (Fremont) handy, and will try to take pictures tomorrow, and include photos of an installed harness (Baltimore). The harnesses I plan to photo are original to the cars, and not reproductions.

Old 01-25-2016, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jake the biggest difference I noticed (woodwheel photo) was the lack of two harness attaching clips along the center and top of the rear panel, very close to the t-lamp mount boxes. The very right view (actually the left tail lite) shows the harness draped a little different than mine which has 2 of the push in nylon harness clips. No harness clips are obvious in the woodwheel view. A clip hole is provided at the top of the mount box as shown and then another hole, not seen, close to the center of the mount box for the 2nd clip. (this is real close to the center of mount box where the center lamp exits) Those clip holes should have the harness attached which doesn`t seem to be the case in the photos.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:52 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

War eagle,

I was not able to find all of my notes on the rear body harness, but enough to hopefully address your questions, but first some corrections to my Post No. 10:

The paper tag number I used (1533) was not the only number used, as I have references to number 1373 (again, these are tough to read).

The separate blue lead supplying the trunk light, if an option, which connected to the main harness, was not wrapped. Rather, it was protected with a cloth loom, which was metal crimped to keep it from sliding on the lead. The two clips secured the loom/lead to the left trunk lid hinge, and the loom was positioned to protect the lead as it passed over the sharp edge and entered the trunk panel.

I am aware of two methods of wrapping the main harness.
One method started at the bulk head and terminated at the point where the leads to the three right hand side sockets (4,5,6) exited the main harness. When this method was used, the wrap of the main harness was tied into a knot at the "T" of sockets 4, 5, and 6.
The second method had the wrap starting one inch off the lead of socket 6, and continuing to within two inches of the bulk head. No knot was used to secure the tape from unraveling when this method was used. The wrapping of the individual leads (sockets 1,3,4,6) were the same for either method, except for socket 6 when the second method was used, as the wrapped socket 6 lead was the beginning of the main harness.

I have attached photos of the rear harness, but due to my past experiences and my lack of photo skills, I'm not sure how clear these will be in answering your questions. What follows is a description of the measurements between components of the harness. As these harnesses are originals, I treat them gingerly, and do not place much tension on them. As such, the dimensions that follow may be off a touch. However, in separate observations, the dimensions recorded were very close.

Starting from the bulk head:

5" of brown lead to the floor plug, 43" to the rubber boot at the fuel tank.

Starting from the bulk head:

4" to the paper tag > 5" to the nylon anchor > 18" to the white and two orange leads (each of these unwrapped leads were 1.5" long) > 12" to the metal clip securing harness to the wheel well > 1" to the single orange lead (this unwrapped lead was 2.5" long) > 43.5" to the nylon anchor > 8.25" to another nylon anchor > 1.75" to the "T" supplying the back-up lamp lead, and light sockets 1, 2, and 3. (The unwrapped black lead to the BU Lamp was 2.5" long, the pink and blue wrapped leads to socket 1 were 6" long, the unwrapped blue lead to socket 2 was 6" long, the wrapped blue and two pink leads to socket 3 were 7" long) > 23" to the black lead (the unwrapped black lead to the license plate lamp was 3" long) > 29" to a nylon anchor and the "T" supplying the BU Lamp, and light sockets 4, 5, and 6. (The unwrapped black lead to the BU Lamp was 4" long, the wrapped blue and two purple leads to socket 4 was 5" long, the unwrapped blue lead to socket 5 was 5.5" long, and the wrapped purple and blue leads to socket 6 were 8" long).

Your leads within the harness should have .5" long dashes (black on white leads, white on all others) indicating points of demarcation where the individual leads leave the main harness. This should assist you in the routing of your harness.

The harness is routed behind the mounting boxes, with the socket leads coming out or around the boxes. The harness at the left box (sockets 1, 2, and 3) is secured by two nylon anchors (attaching clips) at the top left side and under the center of the box, I believe as you describe. The harness at the right box uses only one anchor and is secured under (like the left side box, it is pushed up from under, and is difficult to see when the sockets are installed) and in the center of this box.
If this is the areas you hope to see, I am confidant my photos will not show these anchors installed.
By the way, the first nylon anchor securing the harness is pushed into the back metal bracing behind the back seat, just ahead of the metal hanger for the main harness that is welded to this same brace.
I'll try to include some photos in the posts that follow.

Last edited by JAKE 64; 01-26-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

War eagle,

Here are some shots of the rear harness, going right to left, starting from the right box, and ending with the metal hanger that is welded to the underside of the upper left quarter panel.

The first photo shows the right side box. The single nylon anchor used with this box is positioned below the center socket, and is pushed up, and is not visible.

Photo number four shows one of the two nylon anchors on the top left (picture right) side of the box. The second nylon anchor is located under the center of the box, below the center socket, and is not visible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Rear Body Harness 005.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	419240   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Rear Body Harness 006.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	419241   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Rear Body Harness 007.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	419242   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Rear Body Harness 009.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	419243   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Rear Body Harness 010.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	419244  

Last edited by JAKE 64; 01-26-2016 at 07:46 PM.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:39 PM
Senior Chief

Thank you Jake 64,(for taking your time to post)...this is going to be very helpful for many members...

Old 01-26-2016, 08:03 PM
Senior Chief

For 1964

War eagle:

Some more pictures, showing the left trunk lid hinge area.

In photo 1, a metal clip can be seen at the top of the picture, securing the main harness. A second metal clip (green phosphate) secures the main harness to the wheel well fin.

Photo 2 includes a shot of the two metal clips securing the loom protected lead to the trunk lid hinge. This lead goes to the optional trunk light.

Photo 3 shows another view of the green phosphate clip and the metal hanger (far upper right) that is welded onto the back brace and secures the main harness.

In photo 4, the torsion rod is not painted yellow (although yellow is under the red), but is the glare reflecting off the red paint. In this same photo, although tough to see, a nylon anchor is inserted into the back brace, just to the "photo" right of the metal hanger securing the main harness. The paper tag is located along the floor line, just ahead of the trunk mat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1964 Rear Body Electrical Harness 001.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	419245   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Rear Body Electrical Harness 002.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	419246   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Rear Body Electrical Harness 003.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	419247   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Rear Body Electrical Harness 004.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	419248   Click image for larger version

Name:	1964 Rear Body Electrical Harness 005.jpg
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	419249  

Last edited by JAKE 64; 01-26-2016 at 08:22 PM.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great pics Jake. Your left rear lamp harness is the way I found is the correct routing. Note that 4 clips run along the rear trunk weatherstrip channel to retain the harness....not like the woodwheel photo.
Interesting note to the left lamp area, is the black plastic body plug. Mine were actually installed from the outside of the trunk panel from the factory, not the trunk side as shown in your great photos. By the way which factory built the red car?
Thanks for the pictures.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Found my info on the rear tail lights, but it was for the 1966 GTO (and Bonne).

Posting a pic just as a FWIW:

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	66-gto-california-rear-lights.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	421793