Old 02-04-2016, 01:40 AM

Default My '65 console painted in '64 blue

After endless searching for a OEM '64 console, I threw in the towel and bought a '65 console. I read so many threads on getting the correct '64 blue color for the console, but it seemed like chasing a rainbow.

I bought a can of Console Paint from The Parts Place which said "Color matched for a factory appearance." It looked terrible. It was a really almost bright blue color.

I was going to settle for leaving the console black and just stick it in the car as it was. I had previously gotten a wheel repair at a local shop (curbed the wheel) for my car (not GTO). The shop matched the color of the wheel perfectly , so I thought I'd ask if he could paint the console.

I didn't have an original part for reference and could not tell him what the color was other than, "metallic blue". Using my phone, I showed him a picture of a console from that untouched 8K mile '64 GTO that was recently for sale. He said he'd give it a shot.

Here's what he came up with. I think it looks pretty darn good, especially from just eyeballing a photo from the internet. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Console top.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	419927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Console top with cup.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	419928   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glovebox.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	419929  

Old 02-04-2016, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It looks great!!! How did he do such a good job on the ribs? Mask it off, wipe it down immediately after painting, or other? And finally, if you don't mind me asking, how much did a great looking job like that cost?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not an expert on '64's, but that's the nicest looking console I've seen in years. Well done!

Old 02-04-2016, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tempest1964 View Post
It looks great!!! How did he do such a good job on the ribs? Mask it off, wipe it down immediately after painting, or other? And finally, if you don't mind me asking, how much did a great looking job like that cost?
Thanks. The sides were masked right up to the edge of the top plate. The entire top plate was painted without doing anything to cover up the ribs.

Wiping off immediately after paint would have worked, but he played with the color two times. I got the console back with the entire top painted and dried.

I took a brand new razor blade and ran it down the length of the ribs like you would do when cleaning paint off of a window. It worked like a charm without scratching the chrome.

To be honest, I am not sure how much the total cost will be because I still have the heater control to pick up from him. The charge for painting the heater control and gauge bezel (the gray metal one behind the plastic lens) will be about $40. I imagine everything will be about $100 total?

Old 02-04-2016, 11:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great.

'66 LeMans Hardtop, 400, FI, A/C, 4L80E.
'64 GTO Hardtop, "389", Tri-power, 5 speed, A/C, Yorktown Blue.
http://www.gtoaco.com
Old 02-05-2016, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Sounds like a great price for a great job!

Old 02-05-2016, 12:15 PM

Nice job. I coated the ribs with some petroleum jelly prior to painting, seemed to help clean-up a lot.

Old 02-07-2016, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Not an expert on '64's, but that's the nicest looking console I've seen in years. Well done!
that's just it...how many folks can tell you in absolutes that it is right or wrong? I'd be tickled to death if mine looked that nice. Don't worry...be happy!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 02-07-2016, 02:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up Well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron cozzo View Post
Looks great.
there's your stamp of approval...this man is a perfectionist who knows his '64 stuff!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 02-09-2016, 01:04 AM

Thanks guys. As of this week, my car is starting to go back together instead of being taken apart!!

If anyone is interested in having parts color matched or painted, here is the company that did it for me. http://www.stevescustom.com/ or https://www.facebook.com/Steves-Cust...=page_internal

It's a one man shop. His specialty is color matching and repairing small repairs (scratches, chips, etc) and repairing / painting car wheels.

There is often some form of exotic super type car in the shop getting something. The cool thing is that when I told him the part being painting was from a '64 GTO, he got all excited. He pointed to a brand new Lamborgini that someone mistreated and said, "Anyone with too much money could have one of those, but projects like this (GTO console) get me excited!"