Old 02-09-2016, 10:05 PM
Suspended

Default 1965 Frame Dimensions

Does anyone have complete frame Dimensions needed to check every Dimension on a 1965 GTO frame. I have the restoration guide and the chassis manual but I don't know if it contains enough information for my frame shop to check everything. I want to be sure it is true and square so the body work and gaps will start out as good as they can. I think some frames may have even come not perfect from the factory. thanks.

Old 02-12-2016, 02:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default frame specs

John,i'm thinking I may have something detailing some specs stashed away in the garage as my project65 will be moved over to a 66 frame which needed some mods.The sheet I have if I remember correctly gives enough to ck square and also frame height specifics. May take me a day or so,but i'll see what I can find.I needed something to ck all measurements since I've not found a source local to do a quality onceover of my frame.Later,DeWayne

3sp&3:08/10 boltPosi-Pwr Windows-Pwr Antenna
Silvermist w/BlackVinyl Top

http://s161.photobucket.com/albums/t201/dracowizard/65/
Old 02-12-2016, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

look at post # 6or 7

http://www.gtoforum.com/f122/frame-measurements-30803/

Old 02-12-2016, 11:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

old school but . if you don't have gauges you can drop a plumb bob off points of frame to floor . mark the floor at all locations. measure in x dimension through out. the frame must hang level or level relevant to floor. use a common 4ft level. you also can level frame to floor and measure to floor for twist.

Old 02-12-2016, 12:09 PM
Suspended

Thanks -dld, I do have those measurments, they are in the GTO restoration guide. I took the car to a frame shop so they will be able to work with what they have, those numbers, just checking if more info is out there. I want to be sure the car never had any twists from racing or anything so the restoration will go its best.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

remember the frame alone will twist to the body as mounted. if you lay a bear frame on the ground you can pick it up from the rear corners and twist it buy hand . the frame will bolt into a bent body. check the mount locations on the body also. really the front rails forward of the cowl are the most critical. the very forward horns are important for correct core support mounting position. if the core support is to high or low or twisted this will make fender to door and hood mounting impossible.

if coresupport is left or right of center this will make hood opening not square. if rail (horns) are high or low fender gap will be off. any combo is bad for proper align of metal. if everything looks good now its probably ok. most body shops can give car a good look and tell if car is squared up.... if car is together now.

Old 02-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Boost Engineer

I had my "georgia" rust free 66 GTO frame (checked out and straightened as reqd by a GOOD frame shop) installed under my 64 Convertible and Tieman said the body dropped on perfectly.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.