Old 02-09-2016, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Water Pump Divider Installations

Howdy Everyone,

I'm new to the pre 69 water pump stuff. My 64 motor has the 11 bolt timing chain cover on it and I've picked up the 8 bolt. I also grabbed the stainless dividers and a Kooler water pump. But, I'm not sure exactly how the dividers work for these. I understand only one gasket is used, but do the dividers just stack and rest inside the cover?

Thanks for the help. I'm a bit of a dope so pictures work best for me.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Gartner View Post
Howdy Everyone,

I'm new to the pre 69 water pump stuff. My 64 motor has the 11 bolt timing chain cover on it and I've picked up the 8 bolt. I also grabbed the stainless dividers and a Kooler water pump. But, I'm not sure exactly how the dividers work for these. I understand only one gasket is used, but do the dividers just stack and rest inside the cover?

Thanks for the help. I'm a bit of a dope so pictures work best for me.
Yes they do.

Water pump divider plates, originals. The original factory rear plate was an aluminum casting, the front plate is steel.

Back plate in place by itself.

Front plate stacked on top of the rear plate.

Add the gasket and water pump and you're done.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:36 PM
Suspended

If you bought the stainless steel divider plates that most places sell you will need to be a metal craftsman or send them back and get the repo from Inline Tube in Michigan. They do not fit very well as others can attest to. The divider plates do stack in together, making sure they seat below or flush with the timing cover. It is sometimes a challenge to get them both on there without dropping a bit. They need to be flush so the gasket can go on, just one gasket then the pump. Take a good look at your cover before installing, I think the bottom two or three holes go into the water jacket so you will need to seal the threads on these bolts or studs. Search the cooling forum for how to clearance the water pump. It may not be as important as normal pumps because the pump you have from what others have said here, it flows good anyway.

Old 02-09-2016, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John62 View Post
It may not be as important as normal pumps because the pump you have from what others have said here, it flows good anyway.
Nope, clearance is very important regardless of pump

Old 02-09-2016, 10:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, the good thing is the cover is on a work bench and the engine is on a stand. Easy access!

Old 02-09-2016, 11:29 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendutro View Post
Nope, clearance is very important regardless of pump
Not sure you can clearance these pumps, they do not have an angled impeller. It is flat. If you can work the metal down flat without hitting the edges them good. There are a couple different designs, depends on the type you have.

Saw this on the flowcooler website, not sure what their getting at since they do not mention preferred clearance.

Pontiac owners have reported incremental cooling improvements by reducing the backing plate-to-impeller vane clearance to .010 to .100 inch. In closing the impeller-to-plate gap of the bypass more coolant will route to the thermostat and radiator and will initiate the engine cooling process. It also will restrict the internal cycling and “rise-to-temperature” process intended by the engine designer. Modifications to the Pontiac part design are performed at the owner's discretion. FAILURE TO MAINTAIN ADEQUATE CLEARANCE WILL VOID WARRANTY.