Old 08-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '63 Tempest 326 Oil Pan Removal (to fix a leak)

Has anyone been able to remove just the oil pan on their '63, with engine still in the car?
The stock exhaust manifolds hug pretty tight to the engine.

I cannot remember exactly, as it has been a while, but I think I have previously R&R'd the engine with the exhaust manifolds attached to it. Anyone else?

Old 08-25-2019, 06:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Don't think it is possible with everything bolted in place. Perhaps disconnect the propeller shaft (correct name for the rope shaft), torque tube, and then lift the engine a few inches. Hopefully that will get the clearance that you need.

Old 08-25-2019, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I remember it when I tried it the engine has to come up more than a few inches to clear the oil pump.Been a lot of years.Tom

Old 08-26-2019, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. I will just pull the whole engine, in case it's the rear rope seal that's leaking. I usually separate the crank bolts and the bellhousing from the engine, not the torquetube to the bellhousing. That way, you can lift the engine straight up.

I had to install the crank to ropeshaft bolts with red loctite because they kept coming out. So I will probably need to use some heat to get them loose now.