Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-07-2020, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Pertronix HEI-III Module

Anyone tried one of these? I'd like to add a rev limiter to my HEI. This supposedly does multiple spark also. I suspect gimic...

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pnx-d72000

Old 05-07-2020, 07:27 PM
Senior Chief

Funny this comes about. I am currently using this. Have been fighting what seems to be low voltage issues or a bad ground. When it works it works well. Lol
No fair to say if it’s the culprit yet but some have had bad experience with Pertronix. I do want to stay with an electronic distributor and a small body distributor. Good luck if you make the leap. Lol

Old 05-07-2020, 07:48 PM
Senior Chief

I wouldn't put it in my lawn mower.

Old 05-07-2020, 08:00 PM

Default Petronix HEi Module/Rev Limiter

I use the rev limiter from" Performance Distributors (DUI)". Uses same plug in RPM chips as MSD, works good. Looked at Petronix Module when I was shopping but, really didn't want to give up my "Performance Distributors (DUI)" module in their brand distributor that I have in my car. Then I read on here all the problems other people had with Petronix and that sealed the deal.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:24 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Limelight View Post
I use the rev limiter from" Performance Distributors (DUI)". Uses same plug in RPM chips as MSD, works good. Looked at Petronix Module when I was shopping but, really didn't want to give up my "Performance Distributors (DUI)" module in their brand distributor that I have in my car. Then I read on here all the problems other people had with Petronix and that sealed the deal.
Not to change the subject but did you buy a off the shelf distributor or have them setup one per your specs?
Thanks

Old 05-07-2020, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will never use another pertronix product. 3 horror stories

Old 05-07-2020, 10:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran the III module in a point distributor from the time they came out nearly 10 years ago until just this year. Worked fine for years, and I liked the built in rev limiter, but I had the car shut off one day early this year driving at a steady speed and decided to yank it. To be fair it was a pretty cold 30 degree morning and it could have been related to that but the engine did have some heat in it at the time. It started right back up and ran ok after but I was ready for a change.
Now running a set of Accel 32oz. Points triggering a Pertronix Digital HP box. Starts instantly at the first crank and seems to idle and run a bit smoother at low speeds. If the box fails just switch 2 wires and it’s running on the points like stock.

Old combo:
462 10.75 CR,,SD 330CFM Round Port E's,Old Faithful cam,Jim Hand Continental,3.42's.
1968 Pontiac GTO : 11.114 @ 120.130 MPH

New combo:
517 MR-1,10.8 CR,SD 350CFM E's,QFT 950/Northwind,246/252 HR,9.5” 4000 stall,3.42's
636HP/654TQ
1.452 10.603 @ 125.09
http://www.dragtimes.com/Pontiac-GTO...lip-31594.html
Old 05-07-2020, 11:09 PM

Default Petronix Module-Rev Limiter/ CUI Distributor

I bought it direct from "Performance Distributors (DUI)" 11 years ago before Summit also became a dealer for their products. It was custom curved to the engine specs I gave them (or they will setup the curve to your specs you have in mind, if you think you can do better than their techs). They still sell direct but, charge shipping.

Old 05-08-2020, 06:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JONES View Post
I wouldn't put it in my lawn mower.
Did you have a bad experience with their products? I don't have any experience with their stuff.

Sounds like they may be a little scary. I might just go with another brand module. Although it not that expensive to test out.

Old 05-08-2020, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

if youre looking for a in cap module with rev limiter, another option is the msd module. i run one in my 500+hp 467 for teh last few years & its never had any problems. its does let the car start better than the stock GM module & is supposed to have a hotter spark & built in rev limiter. costs a little more than the pertronix but havent heard as many problems as the pertronix.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/msd-83647

Old 05-08-2020, 04:05 PM

Take a look at this test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TB8VfAvClE

Old 05-08-2020, 05:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The ones I had cut off for fun in traffic

Old 05-08-2020, 08:59 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64speed View Post
The ones I had cut off for fun in traffic
This is my current conundrum. Lol

Old 05-09-2020, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've used and tested a number of aftermarket HEI modules over the years and liked them right up until the moment they quit working.

I kept my original 990 module close by because this will NEVER happen when you are in parking lot at Jegs or Summit Racing.

I even dyno'd the Mallory Rev Limiting Module and it performed flawlessly, although the dip-switches for adjusting the Rev Limiter were off a few hundred RPM's, never had an issue with it anyplace until I left the key on one day and fried it. Aftermarket modules do NOT like that scenario at all, so put a reminder in your phone to make sure you don't inadvertently leave the key on for any reason after shut-down or they will die a miserable death way before their time.

As it relates to this topic in the past year or so we've been getting a LOT of complaints from folks installing Petronix, so much so I would avoid them like the plague we are currently experiencing. I'm guessing they may have started "outsourcing" them and they are not to be trusted.

One customer in particular had his engine guy call me directly from the dyno session bitching about the Q-jet I did for his "stock appearing" 1970 454 LS-5 engine. It was stroked to 496, heads "messaged" a bit with 2.19/1.88 valves, 10.7 to 1 compression and I provided the specs for the cam. He said that they were on the dyno and the engine ran up to about 4500rpm's then went "dead". Everyone right down to the guy taking out the trash blamed the custom Q-jet I did for it, but I've done scores of them for other Pure Stock and FAST Class racers at higher power levels w/o issues so I knew it was something else.

On the 3rd or 4th phone call bitching about the Q-jet killing his engine I asked about timing. He said that he "rebuilt" the stock distributor, total timing was set at 34 degrees, and he added a Petronix to replace the points......BINGO....the lights go off and I told him to install the stock points back in it, which reluctantly he did. The last pull was right around 425hp. The very next pull was 565hp and the owner of the engine said that they were dialing 911 and headed for the exit doors! No one involved in that project could believe that one could make anywhere near that power with a factory Q-jet sitting on one of those "flat" iron intakes and pushing the exhaust out thru cast iron manifolds. Torque production was up near 600ft lbs and over 550ft lbs across most of the loaded RPM range!........Cliff

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 05-09-2020, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for all of the input. I'll stay away from Pertronix.

Old 05-09-2020, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

I have been trying to stay with a small body distributor because of being so close to the firewall. Cliff I’m sure I know what you are going to say (lol) but what distributor are you using for your Ventura? And if I go back to that I will have to change back to a resistor wire which I have already replaced. Lol

Old 05-09-2020, 11:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm using a factory "stock" HEI distributor with the only modification to it the addition of a POSITIVE STOP to limit the advance and a bronze gear for the roller cam. It has stock center cam, stock weights, and stock springs. I did "open" up the spring eyes slightly to start the curve a tad sooner and get it all in a little earlier without adding any timing at idle speed (750rpms).

I ended up going back to my tried and true factory "990" module after running several different aftermarket modules a few times and even once tried an Accel coil with zero improvement anyplace.

The module is around 45 years old and on the dyno it made a couple more HP and a little cleaner torque curve than an MSD billet distributor with a 6AL box on it. How does that happen? Just take a look at how "fine" the pointers are on the pick-up assembly and precisely machined compared to the MSD's "thick" parts and rusted all to chit since they don't (or didn't used to) effectively zinc plate those parts........and you will have your answer.......
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180808_094556.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	539738  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
The Following User Says Thank You to Cliff R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2020, 11:51 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff R View Post
I'm using a factory "stock" HEI distributor with the only modification to it the addition of a POSITIVE STOP to limit the advance and a bronze gear for the roller cam. It has stock center cam, stock weights, and stock springs. I did "open" up the spring eyes slightly to start the curve a tad sooner and get it all in a little earlier without adding any timing at idle speed (750rpms).

I ended up going back to my tried and true factory "990" module after running several different aftermarket modules a few times and even once tried an Accel coil with zero improvement anyplace.

The module is around 45 years old and on the dyno it made a couple more HP and a little cleaner torque curve than an MSD billet distributor with a 6AL box on it. How does that happen? Just take a look at how "fine" the pointers are on the pick-up assembly and precisely machined compared to the MSD's "thick" parts and rusted all to chit since they don't (or didn't used to) effectively zinc plate those parts........and you will have your answer.......
Ok I guessed wrong. Lol
Good to read the cap clears the firewall with a HEI distributor. Looks like I will be hunting down a distributor for a rebuild and to send out to be recurved. Thanks

Old 05-09-2020, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Positive Stop

Hello Cliff - does the positive stop also limit the amt of timing that the vac advance canister can add to the total - or does the positive stop only limit mechanical / centrifugal advance?

Old 05-09-2020, 12:56 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontbil View Post
Proves NOTHING. How many of us gap our plugs that wide? Another no-nothing test to fool those who like showmanship voo-doo and call it fact.