THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-10-2019, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Backup house generators?

You may have heard that out here in California, they are shutting off power during “fire danger” conditions. (A normal condition out here.). They say if the power is turned off, it will take 3 days to get it back on.

So - I’m looking into a backup generator for my house. I’ll get a quote from Generac - what other companies should I look into?

Old 10-11-2019, 05:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking

Mayflower.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Mayflower.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just saw that on the news, sounds crazy. Generac is the only one im familiar with and I know quite a few people with them that are very happy with their function. It sounds like you may want to jump quick though, I can imagine that electricians with generator sales will sky rocket.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We are out in the country and lose power after hurricanes. After Rita we were without power for twenty two days. Can't remember after Ike but it was something like that and a then a little less for Ike. I just wired an 8000 amp portable into the breaker box following each hurricane and it ran the water heater, lights, all house electrical except for the central air/heat which draws more amps. After twelve years I've now replaced that unit with a 10k amp portable unit I think the brand is a Champion. A Generac automatic permanently wired into the house which comes on automatically costs multiples of what a portable will cost you and as long as you crank and run the portable once every month or two it will last just as long as the high dollar Generac. If you decide to use a portable and wire it into the breaker box during outages be sure to flip the master breaker switch when using it so you don't feed power back into the street; or you could electrocute the power company guys. Apparently a permanent Generac does that automatically?

Old 10-11-2019, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I live close enough to the coast to be affected by the occasional hurricane. I also have a small generator (2400 watt) that I hook up to my panel to run a few lights, refrig. and the well pump for water, which is the important part. Its not automatic but it works great for what I need for on rare occasion. A whole house job would be so much nicer but I cant justify the expense.

Old 10-11-2019, 07:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another downside to the portable generator is that I need to plan ahead and have gasoline in storage to keep it running. The generacs I know of all run on large propane tanks. Less worry about running out of fuel.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cummins is another quality brand for home generators. https://homegenerators.cummins.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
If you decide to use a portable and wire it into the breaker box during outages be sure to flip the master breaker switch when using it so you don't feed power back into the street; or you could electrocute the power company guys. Apparently a permanent Generac does that automatically?
By code, a generator must be connected using either a manual transfer switch or interlock to prevent this from happening.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Kohler is another brand of standby generator,https://www.kohlergeneratordealer.co...4IJA&gclsrc=ds

Onan was bought by Cummins, and has already been mentioned.

If you think that the natural gas supply would not be interrupted, fueling a generator from the natural gas supply is ideal. Systems that run on fuel other than gasoline are better for long downtimes. Propane keeps indefinitely as well as natural gas. Diesel has a hell of a lot longer fuel storage life than gasoline does also.

I have a 5500 watt Powermate system that I have had to take the carb apart twice due to the gas gelling in the carb. I only have 20 hours on it in the last 8 years, so it sits a lot. Also mine is manual start, if it starts hard at all your gonna get tired pulling the cord in short order. 9HP at 389 CCs is probably as big of an engine that you want to pull start. If I were to do it again I'd probably go for electric start, but when you have no electric for days you'll take whatever Home Depot has in their store...…………...LOL.

I need to get the fuel drained out of the generator again too before winter, it's been in there a couple of months so if I leave it til spring I'll be taking the carb apart again. Maybe I'll just put some Stabil in and drain it in the spring. Winter is the prime time of the year in Ohio for power outages, so I need it ready to go for this season.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 10-11-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-11-2019, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I meant to say 8k & 10k watt not amps.

Old 10-11-2019, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You tube has plenty of videos covering the subject, brands, types, etc.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-11-2019, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm still waiting for someone to come out with a 5,000+ watt Inverter system. My neighbor has a conventional system and hearing that thing scream at 3600 rpm for days has to get old. Inverter systems will vary rpm based on load, but they are expensive. Typically they use WAY less fuel since they can idle way down during low load situations.

Consider propane ... can use it for heat, cooking and hot water, drastically reduces the watts required to run a whole house. Our biggest load would typically be the 220v water pump kicking on. House is all LED lighting ... you can probably turn on every light in the house with 200 watts.

Careful with the transfer switch ... pretty big fines around here back-energizing the grid ... people's lives depend on that not happening. Here it has to be done by a licensed electrician and approved by the utility company.

Old 10-11-2019, 09:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
I meant to say 8k & 10k watt not amps.

yea, 8000 Amps was funny.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:01 AM
Senior Chief

I'm another one that backfeeds the panel with a "suicide cord" into a 220v dryer outlet. The automatic transfer switch set up is ideal, and also expensive. Since I am not a moron, I turn off the main panel before powering up the Screamin Banshee of a generator. And generators do need occasional exercise to keep the armature from losing magnetism.

I've had a good 5500 Chinese generator whose engine outlasted the generator section (finally died after loaning it to a moron), and the replacement 9500W is a dual fuel gas/propane job that will run off a gas grill tank (until I plumb it into the 330gal tank for the house). The key to keeping these things alive, aside from running them out of gas when youre done, is to do a good break-in and oil change - and always remove the load before powering down the generator. If it dies with the load on, it kills the AVR (automatic voltage regulator).

Generac, Cummins, and Kohler make decent stuff, but you are looking at some substantial investment into an auto start, whole house, transfer switch-equipped, deal. Most quotes around here for something like that are $10,000 and up. The machine, the electrician, the inspections, concrete pad, transfer switch, its not a small job to do correctly using good equipment.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 10-11-2019, 10:01 AM

We love our Generac got us through several power outages the las few years. Here is ours and the propane tank size that feeds it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B7E02535-FA35-49CC-A6FF-0D3984AC1DDD.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	521984   Click image for larger version

Name:	058CEB9C-318D-40F0-8482-31BD8E3BE4A0.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	521985  

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 10-11-2019, 10:21 AM

Another fan of Generac. Mine is and has been running for three days now. Although I do turn it off at night when we go to bed. The freezer and fridge will stay cold all night and no use in using up propane when we don't need to. Mine is an 11,000kw unit and runs my house and shop except for the hot tub. I turn that off when power goes out.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:51 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
I'm another one that backfeeds the panel with a "suicide cord" into a 220v dryer outlet. .
This is my plan too, but in nearly 7 yrs of being prepared to do it we’ve never lost the power long enough to even bother. I am only planning to plug into the 120 volt outside plug so I will only power one side of the panel. I have set up the fridge, freezer and furnaces on the same side as the outside plug. I also have one of those cheap 5500W gas generators, with stable in the tank.

Something that interests me lately is getting solar installed. Then depending on where you live, what is allowed, what incentives are in place, you could have free ( once the system is paid for) power and a back up for when the grid is down. You need a big battery pack for when the sun is down, but if you get an electric car it comes with one. And you would be driving that car on your own free solar power.

I haven’t heard anyone in my circle of friends or acquaintances talk about this or the pros/ cons of a system as there are very few installations here so far. And it is not marketed as a power loss backup if it is marketed at all, more like if you are interested you need to find it.

But when I looked into it I was quoted $22,000 - 35,000 for a big enough system to zero out my power bills every year. There are about $10,000 in government rebates here to partially offset the cost. The pay back on the balance for us would take about 8 -10 years if we went with the lowest quote. So we have decided not to do it yet. But if we were to get an electric car, that would be reason to reconsider.

Old 10-11-2019, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
yea, 8000 Amps was funny.
I wonder what diameter wire it would take to carry 8k amps? 10' mebby?

Old 10-11-2019, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
We love our Generac got us through several power outages the las few years. Here is ours and the propane tank size that feeds it.
Jeez, wash and wax that propane tank

I own my tank so it gets a nice carnuba wax once a year. I've resisted putting a giant GTO decal on it, or painting it Verdora Green

Old 10-11-2019, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I have had a Generac unit similar to that for 7 years. It has about 450 flawless hours on it from the time of installation. I moved it from my previous house because the buyers refused to pay 2K for it already hooked-up to natural gas and an automatic transfer switch. So I unhooked-it and took it with me when I moved. My current house rarely loses power, but the generator starts and runs every week. I suppose in CA, it could cost 10K for the set-up I have, but I don't have nearly that much in mine. I bought the basic package from Norwall Power Systems on the internet. 17K generator and a 200 Amp transfer switch were $3300.00 delivered to my door. I poured my own pad, about $20.00 of concrete and $10.00 of gravel. The gas company installed about 40 ft. of black pipe and a larger meter for $470.00 including inspection. An electrician installed the transfer switch and wired the generator to the box for $1000.00 including 25 ft. of copper service service cable. So for about 5K I can run the whole house. Been very happy with it. BTW, Generac is owned by Briggs and Stratton Corp. if that makes any difference to you.