Old 04-28-2011, 09:25 PM

Default 79 Formula A/C to non A/C

We bought a nice Formula with a 71 455 HO in it. Along the way it lost all the ducting, AC components and lines. It had a dryer vent hose doing God knows what from under the fender. Anyway we cleaned it all up, bought a new box for the squirrel cage and put it all back together. We need heat up here in the North. The problem is we don't know how to hook it up as the big silver AC apparatus is gone. We have some plug in deals on the end of wires that we assume used to plug into the AC unit. All we want is to run the fan and have the low/med/high switch work. We are not electricians. Can anyone give us a simple "hook the brown from the harness to the red from wherever" type of instructions?

Thanks. We hope to be on the road by next week.

One thing we did figure out is how to repair T/A dashes. This car has our second repaired and they are turning out pretty close to new.

I don't know how to post pics on here. I have several and would be happy to email them.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ZR the dry hose was bring in cooler to the intak/carb if that is where is was hooked up. sorry I can't help with the heater issue. My a/c heat stuff is lonfg gone in my car too.

79 Trans AM 406 #12 heads Torker II intake Crower 60210 750 holley vac. sec. T400 3500 Stall 3:73:1 rear. ECMTTFMFers. IHTTFMFers.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

To post photos. click on the blue oval Post Reply button at the bottom left of the thread.
don't use the quick reply window at the bottom.
Click on the post reply button. another window will open up titled Attach Files in the second frame titled Additional options click on the button
titled Manage Attachments. another window will open titled up load file from your computer click the Browse button. This will take you to your computer. go to my pictures and high lite the photo you want to upload and click on the open
button. This will bring the URL into the Manage attachment window. click the upload button next to the browse button. This will attach the photo to your post.
If you want to practice up loading go to the test and tune section. If you get an error message while up loading, the photo file is too large. If this happens use paint to reduce the photo by 50%.

Last edited by Ollie; 04-29-2011 at 09:14 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Attached Photos of 79 TA AC wiring harness.
Photo #1 AC wire harness exits fire wall on Pass side.
Photo #2 Wire harness plugs near carb. on pass side.
Photo #3 Red wire main power, connects to alternator, Dark green and one black
wire to AC Compressor clutch plug. Light greed wire throttle solenoid on carb.
Photo #4 close up of wires that go to the other side of engine, and compressor plug the black wire in the compressor plug
is a ground wire that bolts to the engine block.
Photo #5 close up of wire plugs at pass side of engine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	017Croped.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	205.5 KB
ID:	242894   Click image for larger version

Name:	018Groped.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	242895   Click image for larger version

Name:	019Croped.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	193.8 KB
ID:	242898   Click image for larger version

Name:	020Croped.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	201.3 KB
ID:	242899   Click image for larger version

Name:	021Croped.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	242900  

Last edited by Ollie; 04-29-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Post #4 continued.
More photos
Photo #1 Fan speed relay.
Photo #2 close up of wire harness plug Letters.
Photo #3 close up of wire harness.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022ACFan Speed Relay.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	242901   Click image for larger version

Name:	023AC Plug Wire Letter.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	242902   Click image for larger version

Name:	024Croped.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	242903  

Old 04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZR 900 View Post
All we want is to run the fan and have the low/med/high switch work. We are not electricians. Can anyone give us a simple "hook the brown from the harness to the red from wherever" type of instructions?

Thanks. We hope to be on the road by next week.

One thing we did figure out is how to repair T/A dashes. This car has our second repaired and they are turning out pretty close to new.

I don't know how to post pics on here. I have several and would be happy to email them.
You will not get any heat out of this set up you have installed. You will need the housing with the heater core that mounts under the dash

Old 04-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

unfortunately i cannot give you what youre asking for, a "hook this colored wire to this gizmo etc." deal.

what i can tell you is you can leave every last bit of wiring, the AC subharnesses, in place and achieve your goal. the AC subharnesses are a 2 or 3 piece deal, going from the alternator, compressor, and control head. everything revolving around the climate control electrical functions are spliced in to that.

since the AC is "gone", specifically the compressor, there will be ends/connectors that will be loose, hooked to nothing. You'll need the main power feed ( if it's still this way on a 79 F-body as it is on a 69 A-body like mine ) hooked up to the alternator, round connector to the + post. The connector for the compressor clutch hangs loose, as would the superheat or thermal limiter switch that's usually on the rear of it. The ambient temp switch - maybe on the top of the cowl on the passenger side, can remain hooked up, it wont be doing anything since the compressor is gone. The loose ends can simply be taped up, then wrapped back "into" the harness lead they came from.

all you need is a wiring diagram, not an electrical engineering degree, to make it all work. if youre not colorblind, you can just "follow the leads" so you know what's needed and what's not.

in doing all this you retain full control of the blower motor, including high speed. it also allows for you, should you choose to down the road, to put the AC back in without having a hacked up harness to fix and/or replace.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:47 PM

We are going to give it a try this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks

Old 05-27-2011, 08:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

bump to see how this all worked out......