Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-10-2020, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default DIY Steam Cleaner

I was looking for a small (quite small) industrial quality steam cleaner for home and shop use. Appears there is nothing but garbage for sale for less than $1000.

Since I just want something to produce a low pressure jet of steam at about 30 psi, maybe 220-230 degrees .... as per usual I am thinking of building my own. Pricing things out it looks like I can do it for about $200.

I'd use a manufactured 2 gallon air tank rated to 150 working psi (600 psi bursting pressure), 120v (@1500 watt) heating element from a water heater, 20-40psi pressure switch, water level switch and relay to shut off power in the event of low water level, pressure gauge, relief valve (maybe two just to be safe), fill bung, drain bung, outlet bung, hose, and probably a simple pistol grip compressed air gun. I'd TIG weld all the bungs to the manufactured tank, which of course would compromise it's strength somewhat.

Would use 50 psi relief valves, pressure switch cut-out at 30-40 psi, level switch would drive a 15 amp relay for power to pressure switch.

Of course it would only provide bursts of 30 psi steam from such a small capacity, but I want it very portable and able to run on 120v 15 amp power.

Other than the obvious dangers dealing with steam, electricity and water ... sound doable?

Old 05-10-2020, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Your idea sounds doable, but you could save yourself a little work by starting with a 2-gal electric tank-type water heater. Most of the bungs you'd need are already welded on and those have typically 1500-ish watts.

Old 05-10-2020, 03:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxlZRIour2Q

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 05-10-2020, 06:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SRR ... I had considered the flash boiler type ... but I was hoping for something less powerful ... something I can use in the house and car interior ... although, might have to build one of those for parts cleaning outside.

The small hot water heaters would certainly give me a head start in a lot of areas ... a big one being the heater element bung and an off the shelf replacement element. I'll have to look into that for sure.

Dang, just remember why I crossed the small water heaters off the list. I would without a doubt have to add a few bungs, like for the low water level switch ... and the water heaters are glass lined, drilling the holes for the bungs would shatter the liner.

Last edited by dataway; 05-10-2020 at 06:53 PM.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Some progress photos on the DIY mini-steam-cleaner.

Tested the pressure switch, circuits, relief valve and heating element today. Waiting for a couple of parts to finish it. So far so good. When it's all tested and functioning I'll paint it and wrap the tank in some kind of insulation.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamCleaner-1.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	540569   Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamCleaner-2.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	540570   Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamCleaner-3.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	540571   Click image for larger version

Name:	SteamCleaner-4.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	540572  

Old 05-20-2020, 07:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Getting close to a done deal. Gave it a shake down cruise ... just left it on for about three hours in the shop. Did what it was supposed to, heating element cycled properly, no leaks.

Still learning what it will and won't clean. Cleans anything better if you spay it with degreaser and let it set for 30 seconds. Works wonders on electrical harnesses, specially the plugs, makes them look new again. On real greasy parts ... mehhhh, kind of smears it around. Way better with organic type grease, food grease, skin oils, nicotine stains, mildew. You can take a greasy old shop rag and make an almost perfectly clean spot on it.

Does nicely on any textured plastic, crevices on knobs, insides of things you can't get to like AC/heater ducts.

I need to find a proper degreaser I can add to the tank.

Here is a bad video basically just showing the amount of pressure .. first few seconds will produce more water than typical clearing out the condensate in the line.

WARNING: Video is a bit loud.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XvnR1ISh_k

A photo of the unit version 1.0.

On this mildewy old visor .... middle section uncleaned, right section steam only, left section degreaser then steam .... got it quite clean.