THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-06-2020, 09:39 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Most likely identity theft.

I belong to Credit Karma. Have for years. It's free and you can check any of the 3 bureau's credit records any time you want.

Creditkarma.com.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 06-06-2020, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Did you file a tax return in 2018 ?
It should have went to the same destination/method as your 2018 refund.
So maybe the IRS data glitched and entered the wrong info for you.

Also try googling the full account number and see if others have reported the same account number being used.
That would get pretty wild.

If by accident on the IRS end - and the account number and routing number is still someones active account, they probably would not report it, and hope to keep it.
I have always filed income tax returns starting in 1966. But, I have never used direct deposit. My 2018 return was filed and I got a refund check in the mail.
The IRS stimulus money site only gives me the last 4 digits of the account number. Here's a screenshot from the IRS site showing all the information they are giving me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-06-06 Get My Payment.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	541908  

Old 06-08-2020, 07:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm up in the NW corner. I have always filed paper (pencil and paper back in the day and Turbo Tax printout for last 15-20 years), never have provided the IRS with my bank nos. I'm paranoid enough to believe they know my bank account nos. anyway but I always said I wasn't gonna volunteer nos. and make it easy for them. But I also figured if the IRS was ever hacked, I'd prefer my nos. weren't in their system. And my tax situation has been that I always send the IRS a check, not the other way around, so I mailed it as late as I could.

Now retired, this year I had a refund coming so I filed about as early as possible, early Feb IIRC. I got my refund within about a month IIRC. When they announced the $1200 stimulus check, they gave people like me that don't file electronically, the opportunity to give the IRS bank nos. at a specific website so that you could get the money "much quicker". But that wasn't required and I was content to wait for snail mail.

I received a paper check (not a debit card) about 2-3 weeks ago. Just about the time I received the check I had read that they were starting to send checks out some time in May to folks like me with no bank nos. on file with the IRS.

And a few days after receiving the check, I got the letter from the IRS/President Trump that others have mentioned telling me to expect the "check/debit card". Since I already had the check, wasn't sure what the debit card thing was all about.

That's my story. Point is, I filed 1040 very early this year. The later you file, the longer it normally takes for the IRS to process a return and send a refund. With Covid, I'm guessing it has been even slower processing this year.

I expect that explains the slow processing of your return.

Not sure if that affected the stimulus but doubt it. The IRS was basing the stimulus on 2019 returns but if you hadn't filed 2019 yet they would revert to your 2018 return.

I'm guessing you are one of the unfortunates that are to receive a debit card in lieu of a paper check and the "account no." you've been given is probably the account no. on the debit card.

Read this article from the AJC:

https://www.ajc.com/news/some-throw-...O7ZbSa0Ur6fVI/

Supposedly the Debit Cards were expected to get the stimulus to folks, with no bank nos. on file, faster than a paper check would happen.

Sounds like it is working as well as most government programs.

We got our paper check and my wife deposited it from the comfort of our sofa using our bank's phone app. Easy peasy.

Just don't throw your debit card away when it finally shows up! Best of luck.

Old 06-09-2020, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have been scammed!. I just created an account at IRS.GOV and was able to download a transcript of "my" 2019 return. I was issued a $6,231 return on 05-06-2020. My actually return was $4,000 less than that! The scammers probably had it electronically deposited and then were able to get my stimulus money as well! I have an appointment with my tax preparer this afternoon to file the necessary paper work with the IRS so they can investigate it.
I would love to confront the person who did this! And that is all I am saying about that!

Old 06-09-2020, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

DAMN !!
Best Wishes and Best of Luck