THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-07-2020, 10:28 AM

Cats are hit or miss. Most are a pain and barn cats are mean and they tend to make more. Plus they get fleas and ticks. Whatever. I've see a few nice ones but it just never works out like you plan.

Simple endless mousetrap.

Get a bucket and fill it 1/3 way with water. Put a piece of wood up it to make a ramp. Run a piece of study fishing line or wire through a beer can and across the top so it spins on the line. Now put some peanut butter on the can. The mice climb up and jump on the can to eat the peanut butter. They fall in the pail and drown. Super cheap and simple. Never fails. In winter water freezes. Put something in it to keep from freezing (be careful of pets) or use a new 5 gal bucket. Sides a slippery.

Old 05-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Senior Chief

Simple endless mousetrap.

Get a bucket and fill it 1/3 way with water. Put a piece of wood up it to make a ramp. Run a piece of study fishing line or wire through a beer can and across the top so it spins on the line. Now put some peanut butter on the can. The mice climb up and jump on the can to eat the peanut butter. They fall in the pail and drown. Super cheap and simple. Never fails. In winter water freezes. Put something in it to keep from freezing (be careful of pets) or use a new 5 gal bucket. Sides a slippery.[/QUOTE]

I saw a video of this method a while back, they used an empty plastic coke bottle. Drilled 2 holes in top of plastic bucket an inch from top, and bottom end of bottle, put clothes hanger wire thru bottle and both pail holes, a little peanut butter on bottle. Video showed mouse set one foot on bottle, spun right off into the liquid! Ingenious indeed!!

Old 05-07-2020, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't mind taking care of a cat. I'd get a spayed young adult female from the pound and let her do her job. But the comment about songbirds reminds me that one of our house cats killed a juvenile robin last year in the garden. It was pretty sad.

I ordered some more mouse traps. Going to get a tractor here soon and clean up some brush piles, cut our acreage, and maybe put some more gravel around the sides of the shop. That should help quite a bit. I'll give the owls and hawks first crack at these guys before I get a cat.

That said, I've been working from home and converted one of the rooms in the shop to an office. It would be kind of cool to have my own cat out here. I like cats.

I can't see doing one of those water traps. I feel bad enough when they don't go quickly in the mouse traps. I want them dead, because they carry disease, but I want to do it as humanely as possible.

Old 05-07-2020, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently adopted a cat from the animal shelter to be indoor outdoor. I have a dog door so there was no way I would be able to keep an outside cat out or an inside cat in. Hes about 5 months old and just killed his first vole this week. Brought it in to show me. I would prefer he kill mice or moles, but hes just getting his murderous legs under him.

He comes and goes as he pleases, stays pretty close so far, and poops outside. So I don't have to clean a litter box. Im told because he got fixed young he is less likely to be a wanderer as many male cats are.

Only problem with him is hes a rapist. He humps my leg like a dog would. Only with more teeth involved. No amount of kicking him seems to dissuade him. Its like he prefers his victim to struggle. Never heard of anything like it, hopefully he grows out of it. Its irritating.

I do worry about him killing the birds, but so far so good on that.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-07-2020, 01:11 PM

Cats are serious killing machines!! I appreciate that. I even had one once. If you get a nice one they are reasonably pleasant critters. But if you don't... yikes.

I guy figures it like this... I like other people's nice cats. I don't like other people's snobby mean cats. But either way... they're other people's cats.

To each his own. Mouse traps are easy. Been using the "endless mouse trap" at our hunting camp for 50 years! Set it and forget it.

Old 05-07-2020, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We adopted a cat from a rescue about 15 years ago. Great animal--very clean and social--loves people and dogs, and hunts and kills scorpions. He spends most of his time indoors, but when he's outdoors, our timid but trusty shepherd mix won't leave his side and will herd him back into the yard if he starts to stray into the desert. Between the coyotes, mountain lions, bobcats, rattle snakes and hawks, he wouldn't last too long if he were left on his own. Unfortunately, the cat has bladder cancer, and the way things are looking, we'll be lucky if he's with us another week. Since the dog becomes extremely depressed when the cat's away, we adopted a couple more rescue dogs this past week--another timid shepherd mix and an outgoing border collie mix. We wanted one but couldn't decide, so we got them both. It's pandemonium sometimes, but they all get along great. At some point, we'll get another cat, but not right away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2274.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	539500  

Old 05-07-2020, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before you go cats...

My garage buddies where all feral rescue kittens.
2 where from an old barn.
Another 2 appeared outside of garage on their own during consecutive winters.
All males.

After getting neutered and vaccinated, not long after every one wanted attention and/or be held when coming into garage.
Each one knows and responds by their name.
They rub on legs, jump on work benches and stools wanting attention.
If I doze off in chase lounge, 1-2 will sleep on my lap and legs and take turns when they get to warm from the wood stove.

Yes they like heights.
Have old comforters collected over the years on cars and up in rafters with 4x8 plywood.
Usually sleep on both during winters.
Floor and under cars during summer heat.

Hunters? You bet!
Always had mouse problems. Even though the 5g bucket/peanut butter trap worked great, still got nests in parts boxes everywhere. Turds on work benches, etc.
Nothing since these guys been here.
They can hear them while in asleep in rafters. And when out there working with tv or stereo on.
Its cool to watch them zero in. They have a team system. Average kill time is 5-10 minutes. If the one that gets it not hungry, another one is. Sometimes they share.

Course theres food and litter duty twice a day, but for me its worth it.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 05-07-2020, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Prefers his victim to struggle" LMAO!

Old 05-07-2020, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
He humps my leg like a dog would. Only with more teeth involved. No amount of kicking him seems to dissuade him. Its like he prefers his victim to struggle. Never heard of anything like it, hopefully he grows out of it. Its irritating.

Honey, is that you?

Old 05-07-2020, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have posted before "Patches" on duty.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	539513  

TOM
Old 05-07-2020, 10:28 PM

Default glue traps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtokid1968 View Post
Sticky traps!!!!!!!
I will say it again Sticky traps! They catch ANYTHING that moves!
Keep them then by every door! Sometime they are just full of bugs, spiders
geckos anything that moves!
gtokid1968 is the winner!!!!!!

I have 6 of the large Glue Traps in my 1,200 Sq. Ft. detached garage and I am constantly "glueing" mice. Much cheaper and less effort than a cat. Glue traps never need to go to the Vet.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:27 PM

Default Deer mice

Don’t forget the TICKS. Lyme disease Bad business. Ticks go on cats too. Use the traps

Old 05-13-2020, 11:24 PM

Get a cat. Keep all the windows rolled up on the cars though and make sure the cat door is only big enough for the cat and not big enough for a larger predator. You would be shocked just how small a door they can go through comfortably. Don't leave anything upholstered where the cat can scratch, and consider getting it a scratch pole. Don't let it mingle with the house cats. You probably know anti-freeze tastes sweet to them and is poison for them. You probably know everything I just said but there you go.

Old 05-14-2020, 10:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I lived in an old wooden apartment building at one time and it had a mouse problem. I had two cats and I never saw a mouse or found evidence of them.
Neighbors without cats did have droppings and things chewed. Cats ruined my GTO car cover. They persisted in sharpening their claws on the corners stretched over the front bumper. They love to sit on the roof. I do believe a cat kept inside the garage would keep the garage mouse free. A litter box would be used by the cat rather than a car interior. It would have to be a neutered cat. A tom would mark his territory.

Old 05-14-2020, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Get a couple cats..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 05-15-2020, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Black snakes like mice .

3 Generations of "Beach Boys Racing" !

Everybody knows somthin.
Nobody knows everything !

1st time on a dragstrip, 1964. Flagstart !

"Thanks for the entertainment."

"Real Indians Don't Wear Bowties"
Old 05-15-2020, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love cats, had them for years but the problem with bird killing and the fact that they prey on the small mammals that feed birds of prey, fox, ermine etc. has turned me against outdoor cats. Cats, as great as they are as pets are an invasive species in North America, they were brought over on ships with the colonists.

I've watched the song bird population on my 12 acres almost disappear in the last 20 years. Not saying that is all due to cats, much of it is also due to bird feeders which disrupt the birds desire to migrate. But even the conservative estimates say that outdoor cats kill 30-60 million song birds a year in the US alone. Not to mention the small mammals that would otherwise feed native predators.

I've also seen cats that were tremendous barn mousers, that would literally fill up a five gallon bucket in the course of a week ( That was Casey, a 20+ lb male ). But they required considerable care to keep them healthy and doing their job.

Old 05-15-2020, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Several years back, I had some mice getting into the basement of my rental house. I don't have a picture, but I built a trap that looks very similar to the one in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiL5NvXfxZA

I started with a 5 gallon bucket but I kept the lid. Instead of using clear plastic bottles, I used pieces of PVC secured to the lid. I smeared peanut butter around the bottom of the PVC.

It worked pretty well, came back a few weeks later and found five or six mice dead in the bottom of the bucket. I dumped the mice and applied fresh peanut butter and caught a few more.

Old 05-15-2020, 05:23 PM
Senior Chief

I started with a 5 gallon bucket but I kept the lid. Instead of using clear plastic bottles, I used pieces of PVC secured to the lid. I smeared peanut butter around the bottom of the PVC.

It worked pretty well, came back a few weeks later and found five or six mice dead in the bottom of the bucket. I dumped the mice and applied fresh peanut butter and caught a few more.[/QUOTE]

Video was pretty good, still prefer the plastic coke bottle that spins on a wooden dowel

Old 06-05-2020, 03:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any update?

Had 2 stray kittens come by 2-3 days apart crying outside house but a raccoon got both.
BIG one by the piles of scat around house and garage.
Setting up a live trap this weekend.
Would use my old leg traps when sold muskrat pelts 30-40 yrs ago, but don't want to catch an innocent cat or dog.