Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Oxygen-acetylene hoses and gauges in flood Help.

A friend gave me like new oxygen and acetylene hoses and gauges that were submerged in muddy water for at least 2 days. Can they be cleaned and reused or best to buy new. Tried net but couldnt find any answers. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2020, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In they're a brand name you can usually buy a kit for them, Amazon sells kits for Victor brand. If you can't get a kit just take them apart, and check the diaphragm for holes or tears. There isn't much in them, diaphragms, and springs. Just clean out any sediment there may be in there and reassemble, then test them.

The gauges can be replaced if need be, they sell generic gauges at any place that deals in compressed gases.

You probably know better, but I'll repeat it anyway. Just don't get any oil or grease in them. Petroleum in an compressed oxygen atmosphere will explode.

One other thing, back off the regulator tension on the springs if the regulators are going to sit without use for any period of time. If you leave the handles set at the pressure you run them at, it tends to ruin the diaphragms.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-17-2020, 12:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just rebuilt a set of 40 year old Sears (Harris) gauges ... basically just replacing the diaphragm and some o-rings so the parts are out there most likely and it's not complicated. Hoses should be fine if you clean them out. If the gauges are new you should have no problem finding a kit.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. I was thinking just run water through,torch,and hoses till clean. Gauges were the thing,new to me. I'll check local Matheson gas co,only one left,for parts or online.

Old 05-17-2020, 08:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, that should clean up the hoses and torch just fine.

What brand is the stuff?

Old 05-17-2020, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just remembered when cleaning out garage. It's on todays get too 'stuff's I got more stuff I've saved that 'Carter has liver pills'.

Old 05-17-2020, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Union Carbide, Purox. Gauges still shiny just muddy.

Old 05-18-2020, 03:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good products there ... should be able to find any parts you need.

Old 05-18-2020, 06:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. Yes when he offered for free,gee I'll find a place to store em till i get to cleaning them.