THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-01-2020, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428goat View Post
My wife said on day why don’t you just restore your 67 gto instead of just doing a little at a time. I ended using all the bays of out 3 car garage to do a frame off. Took a year and a half. She supported me all the way. A real keeper. Love her.

When I bought my GTO, I brought my wife with me so she knew exactly what I was buying.

When I brought it home 6 days later, she said one thing. "Just get it done."

This is what I brought home:

I bought it in June of '92 and drove it for the first time in October of '94. Frame off resto - still wasn't totally done - but was done enough to get 800 miles of driving done before the snow flew.

Her brother had taken his '58 Ford retractable hardtop apart (was a running, driving car) to restore it before we met. 25 years later he sold it in boxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GTO 4.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	541503  

Last edited by The Champ; 06-01-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 10:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

[QUOTE=The Champ;6146488]When I bought my GTO, I brought my wife with me so she knew exactly what I was buying.

When I brought it home 6 days later, she said one thing. "Just get it done."

LOL, Okie Dokie, if you say so!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 06-01-2020, 12:07 PM
Senior Chief

After having so many rusty but running and fun cars for years, my wife said why don't you sell the car you are trying to fix up and buy something nice that you can drive and not work on. I was stunned. I asked her who she was and what did she do with my wife. She said you have worked hard all these years and you are always working to fix the car, now that the kids are grown and married just go and get something nice. I bought a nice plain Jane 1976 Firebird from a member on this forum, and now will make it my own. It is already painted and looks nice but I want to make a Formula or Trans Am look alike. My wife likes cars , she has a 2013 Camaro SS that she loves. It is her second Camaro. I think I will keep her.

Old 06-01-2020, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Crazy Stuff, Neighbors C. that is awful"
I am thinking Backhoe, Desert, body...

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 06-01-2020, 02:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Crazy Stuff, Neighbors C. that is aweful, I know I could get my wife to that point but she's a redhead!
She thought she was a clever girl too and called her brother over to move the car out of the garage after she keyed it and claim someone else did it. Not too smart though, she forgot to vacuum up all the paint chips from the car on the garage floor. I pointed this out to the cops who were just giddy over my noticing the paint chips.

They charged her and she had to choose between loss of her pharmacist's license and livelihood (Felony damage to personal property charge) or pay for the car repaint and all the damaged guitars. She made the right choice but then there really was no choice.

I got the check through her attorney, dropped the charges and never spoke to her again.

Old 06-01-2020, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always shake my head when I read about stuff like this. I guess some guys will do just about anything for a little action. There is no way I would ever have a woman I didn't know well and trust completely move in with me. Stuff like this would've been discussed beforehand.

My girlfriend and I have been together 2-1/2 years now. We still live apart but are making plans to move in together next year. Yeah, over 3 years after we met, we'll finally move in together. We know each other well enough now to pretty much know what to expect. I'm sure there are some surprises in store, but she knows how many cars I own, she's seen my garage full of parts, she knows cars are one of my hobbies and she fully supports it. When talking about the house we want to buy together and looking at properties she constantly makes it a point to mention plenty of garage, parking and/or shop space. She's not really into cars herself, but we're also going to make sure she has room for her gardening and plants, as that's what makes her happy.

I don't understand why people rush into things. If the other person is truly right for you, what's the hurry? And if you're not absolutely sure the other person is "the one," again, what's the hurry?

The Following User Says Thank You to Will For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 05:46 PM
Senior Chief

Reading this thread makes me appreciate my wife even more, and that’s saying a lot.

Old 06-01-2020, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
I always shake my head when I read about stuff like this. I guess some guys will do just about anything for a little action. There is no way I would ever have a woman I didn't know well and trust completely move in with me. Stuff like this would've been discussed beforehand.
Well Dr. Phil, I guess you know it all.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. You never truly know what someone is thinking or what they are capable of doing.

I dated this woman for 7 years. She was OK company to be around but a steady diet was dangerous. She had a switch that would just go off with the least provocation or perceived slight. First couple of years, I attributed it to her quirkiness. As time passed, I was lied to, stolen from and constantly goaded to pull my entire retirement savings out so she could live in luxury and not work. My house was paid for and I had the 62 years of age retirement finish line in my sights when we split up. She wanted more debt and damn the consequences. This was a professional woman with a $150K/Yr job, heavily invested in the stock market, and who paid cash for her Mercedes and thought I should continue working so she could quit work. She enrolled her kid in a $20K a year private academy/Hockey School without my input and expected me to share in this expense "as partners", She also wanted her kid to go to Boston College.

Smile and thank the waitress for good service? First the silent treatment all the way home and then the ****storm. A peck on the cheek from a female former classmate at your class reunion? She would storm outside and refuse to come back in. ****storm ensues. Go out with your buddies for a beer? "You'd rather be with your buddies than me? Why don't you go home and sleep by yourself then?" I could go on but I won't.

People are not always who you think they are no matter how long or how well you think you know them.

I don't know your age, but try dipping your toe in the dating pool in your late '50's and see what you catch.

Last edited by NeighborsComplaint; 06-01-2020 at 07:01 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

While I don’t think my wife would ever do this, I agree that you rarely know what people are capable of. Those that disagree have been fortunate enough not to run across the wrong people in life.

I’ve seen normal people do truly hateful things based on emotion.

Old 06-01-2020, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Well Dr. Phil, I guess you know it all.

I'm going to let you in on a little secret. You never truly know what someone is thinking or what they are capable of doing.

I dated this woman for 7 years. She was OK company to be around but a steady diet was dangerous. She had a switch that would just go off with the least provocation or perceived slight. First couple of years, I attributed it to her quirkiness. As time passed, I was lied to, stolen from and constantly goaded to pull my entire retirement savings out so she could live in luxury and not work. My house was paid for and I had the 62 years of age retirement finish line in my sights when we split up. She wanted more debt and damn the consequences. This was a professional woman with a $150K/Yr job, heavily invested in the stock market, and who paid cash for her Mercedes and thought I should continue working so she could quit work. She enrolled her kid in a $20K a year private academy/Hockey School without my input and expected me to share in this expense "as partners", She also wanted her kid to go to Boston College.

Smile and thank the waitress for good service? First the silent treatment all the way home and then the ****storm. A peck on the cheek from a female former classmate at your class reunion? She would storm outside and refuse to come back in. ****storm ensues. Go out with your buddies for a beer? "You'd rather be with your buddies than me? Why don't you go home and sleep by yourself then?" I could go on but I won't.

People are not always who you think they are no matter how long or how well you think you know them.

I don't know your age, but try dipping your toe in the dating pool in your late '50's and see what you catch.
The things you describe are signs of mental illness, unfortunately I have been there and done that. 25 years and the little things get to be mountains over the years. Lying, cheating, and stealing, alcohol abuse, because they think they are entitled to 1/2 of everything, and anything they can get beyond the 50% that the law says they're entitled to.

When I was getting divorced, her attorney started talking about me paying alimony. I got on the phone and told her attorney that she should know that her client (my soon to be X wife) was crazy, and if she ever mentioned alimony again I would let the house go back to the bank, file bankruptcy and she would never get paid, because all the equity was in the house and property. Her attorney thought I was bluffing and told my attorney that. My attorney told her from knowing me and representing me, that I probably would carry out what I had outlined, and if he were her, the subject should be dropped.

I never heard anymore about alimony from that point. I wanted out, I was willing to pay half, and be fair. I wasn't willing to be taken advantage of, I had already been taken advantage of by a conniving, mentally ill, alcoholic, vindictive, nutcase.

That wasn't who I married 25 years before that, people do change, and they do deceive their partners. Mental illness is a progressive thing, add alcoholism, and things go south before you know it.

Rant over............

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 06-01-2020, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The things you describe are signs of mental illness, unfortunately I have been there and done that. 25 years and the little things get to be mountains over the years. Lying, cheating, and stealing, alcohol abuse, because they think they are entitled to 1/2 of everything, and anything they can get beyond the 50% that the law says they're entitled to.

When I was getting divorced, her attorney started talking about me paying alimony. I got on the phone and told her attorney that she should know that her client (my soon to be X wife) was crazy, and if she ever mentioned alimony again I would let the house go back to the bank, file bankruptcy and she would never get paid, because all the equity was in the house and property. Her attorney thought I was bluffing and told my attorney that. My attorney told her from knowing me and representing me, that I probably would carry out what I had outlined, and if he were her, the subject should be dropped.

I never heard anymore about alimony from that point. I wanted out, I was willing to pay half, and be fair. I wasn't willing to be taken advantage of, I had already been taken advantage of by a conniving, mentally ill, alcoholic, vindictive, nutcase.

That wasn't who I married 25 years before that, people do change, and they do deceive their partners. Mental illness is a progressive thing, add alcoholism, and things go south before you know it.

Rant over............
Yup

Old 06-01-2020, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

Rant over............
So you were married to my ex too huh?
My ex had a switch she could flip on and off at will. One minute be at the PTA meeting, next thing you know some bartender is calling me at work telling me she passed out on the floor and if I didn’t come get her they’re calling the cops. This got old real quick and she refused to even acknowledge she ever did anything wrong. Lies, cheating, whatever. But she could put on the princess act around family and church to a t.
See ya!

71' GTO -original 400/4-speed/3.23 posi
13.95 @ 102.1 on street tires @ 4055lbs.

‘63 LeMans- ‘69 400 w/ original transaxle. 2.69 gears.

Last edited by 67drake; 06-01-2020 at 10:29 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 12:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigergto View Post
Reading this thread makes me appreciate my wife even more, and that’s saying a lot.
Ha! I often think “would I trade my problems for a ‘grab bag?’” Then I realize things aren’t that bad.

Old 06-02-2020, 05:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Let me just clarify I wasn't talking about people changing over long periods. Yeah, that can happen. Crossing my fingers it doesn't in my case, but there's only one way to find out.

Just seems like a lot of the time I read stories like the one that started this thread and it's some guy who let a woman he's only known for 6 months move in with him despite huge red flags in her behavior. That's the part that had me shaking my head - I've always been cautious and taken my time, just in my nature.

Neighbors - I'm sorry you went through that. I had similar experiences, but fortunately it was back in my mid 20s when I had nothing to lose. I got tangled up with a couple of crazy women back then which taught me some lessons, so I guess I do have a few things figured out from learning them the hard way like you have. My guess is you'll never let another woman treat you like that, right? And if you had advice to give to younger guys about women, what would it be?

Old 06-02-2020, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As far as not knowing someone, I joked about my wife but I doubt she would ever do anything close to this to something of mine. I met her in April, we were engaged in May, married the following January. Very quick (no she wasnt pregnant ), this past Jan we celebrated our 34th anniv. Never really had a big fight. We are pretty much yin/yang. As hyper as she can get I am equally as mild. I tend to keep everything on the verge of being a packrat, she throws something away that hasnt been used in the last week. Has been a good balance.

Old 06-02-2020, 02:37 PM
Senior Chief

Wife, while looking at my vehicles: "Why dont you get rid of this *old* stuff"
Me: "Should I get rid of everything in the order that I got it?"
Wife: "That would be fine."
Me, pointing very specificially: "This one, this one, YOU, this one, then this one."
Wife: "I'll let you know when dinner's ready."

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 06-03-2020, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
I can't emphasize this one enough and it relates to coworkers even more so than friends and family. The loony older females are very well skilled at hiding their batsh!t craziness but once it rears its ugly head, watch out and never turn your back to them!

Old 06-03-2020, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tell 'em, 'I used to have a lot of women and one car. Now I have one woman and a lot of cars. You want me to go back to the first arrangement?'

Old 06-03-2020, 04:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My advice: if you aren’t paying attention to her somebody is.... and it’s probably someone you know.

Old 06-03-2020, 04:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had a girlfriend in 96 who said my GTO wasn't a practical family car. Major red flag because we never talked about having kids. We didn't date much longer, luckily I was at her house and gone very soon after that comment.