THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-06-2020, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Did a drive by the Drive in Theatre tonight, portable blow up screen, 50 cars only and 4 shows sold out in 11 minutes online.
All proceeds are going to help those in need. Local charity makes up food hampers for school families. 400 hampers a week.

Old 06-06-2020, 02:18 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
... put a couple of friends in the trunk... and the buddies would jump out...
I did that with a friend once back around 1959. About a half hour into the movie a couple village cops yanked the doors open and had us spread-eagled onto the car! Pretty scary, but it turned out that a '53 Ford same color as mine had been stolen earlier in the evening. The friend and his family lived just across the street, so we had no problem getting someone to vouch for us.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post:
Old 06-06-2020, 02:24 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
... All proceeds are going to help those in need. Local charity makes up food hampers for school families. 400 hampers a week...
I sure am glad for all the charitable/volunteer work throughout this crisis.

Old 06-06-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
That is very cool, but how did he get in during the day? Most places have locked entrance and exits.
The photo is of the back of the screen from the entrance side.

The theater is in Henderson NC. Here is the website:http://www.raleighroaddrivein.com/

Old 06-06-2020, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is last night at the 11:00 showing of Dazed and Confused. Pretty fun- pack a cooler with some beers/snacks and chill out. They are using overflow parking from a water park, an inflatable screen and brought in food trucks. Pretty smart way to make something out f nothing.

We had a great time as my buddy went to high school in Huntsville, TX and knew the characters personally. My wife used to wait on the real Wooderson every night at the bar she worked at.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	633BE0D4-F9D0-4FF1-ACF7-1DAC8A5CCD90.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	541863  

Old 06-06-2020, 02:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh ya, oh ya, oh ya...

Way cool!
Brings back lots of good memories.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-06-2020, 05:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
We've got a few out here. I live about 5 minutes from one. Honestly though, I prefer watching movies at home or in a theater when they open back up.

https://www.westwinddi.com/
yup I know that one. Grab some food at Kinders, then off to the show.
But I agree with you I'd rather watch at home. On the block where I live summertime we have block party's and my neighbor brings out his huge inflatable screen and we have movie night with the block.

Old 06-10-2020, 10:58 AM
Senior Chief

We had a new drive-in theater built in Midland, Tx about 10 years ago. My perception is it's been hugely successful. They started out with 2 screens and added a third a few years later. They upgraded the projectors to high resolution digital and the audio is broadcast in stereo over low-power FM transmitters. They have a full grill menu and reasonable concession prices. You get two current run movies for what you'd pay for one at a regular theater. It's one of my favorite places to go!

1963 Tempest Convertible (195-1bbl, 3-speed transaxle. 428 RAIV, 5-speed, IRS planned) Pictures
Old 06-10-2020, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They changed from speaker hung on door(window when cold out) to FM sometime in the 70's here.
Had A Clarion stereo system 68FB.
Triaxial 6x9's, coaxial slime lines under front seats facing forward, and center dash.
Like indoor movie theater sound back then, and didn't have to play it loud like they do now. That and rude people...

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100