Old 08-11-2000, 09:03 AM

i looked at a 96 bonneville the other day with approx 60,000 miles. the coolant looked like mud ,literally, brown and thick. the car has had dexcool in it since it was new and to the owners knowlege this is all that has been added. has anyone else seen this? any luck with flushing and refilling the system? this is the first time i've run across this in with the newer coolant. the car doesn't loose any volume from the rad ,and doesn't show signs of head leakage. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-11-2000, 09:03 AM

i looked at a 96 bonneville the other day with approx 60,000 miles. the coolant looked like mud ,literally, brown and thick. the car has had dexcool in it since it was new and to the owners knowlege this is all that has been added. has anyone else seen this? any luck with flushing and refilling the system? this is the first time i've run across this in with the newer coolant. the car doesn't loose any volume from the rad ,and doesn't show signs of head leakage. mike

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-11-2000, 10:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via Skype™ to RPM

I am surprised. That is supposed to be the advantage of DexCool - that it can go 100,000 miles before changing. I have nearly 40,000 miles on my Silverado and the coolant still looks fresh. I will keep an eye on it. One thought, do you suppose anyone along the line added the 'ol green stuff to maybe top it off at one time? That may explain the color and thickness as I have read that the two should never meet. One reason DexCool is not recommended for older cars is that its hard to get ALL the old coolant out and the DexCool will not react very well with old style anti-freeze. Maybe some other contaminant got in there also?

Old 08-11-2000, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

I have been using DEXCOOL in My wifes 96
Bravada since day one. 105K no problems.
Sure sounds like stopleak to me. But It eats
DELCO altenators. Three to date. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif[/img]

Decca Records rejection of The Beatles - 1962
"
Old 08-12-2000, 12:57 PM

i asked the owner about contamination and he swears no. what someone did without his knowlege is always a possibility. re the 100000 mile claim; i've seen alot of older cars run this with the ethyl glycol solutions with no problems. we recommended putting a corrosion inhibiting additive or a flush at that mileage. some customers did and some didn't. lets face it tho ,most cars at some time before 100000 will have some type of service on the coolant. be it a water pump ,thermostat, heater core, ect. most competent shops will check the coolant at this time.
as far as mixing the two coolants; gm told us that this would cause an acid formation . i suppose this "mud " could be a result of this. i wondered about hard [unsoftened] water being added at some time.
peronally i wonder if the dexcool isn't just a marketing device for $14.00 a gallon coolant. mike

- Winston Churchill
Old 08-12-2000, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

I have a '99 Bonnie and the dealer sang the praises of Dexcool. but then, the oil change interval is supposed to be 7500 miles, as well. Not likely for me; I changed the oil and filter at 1500 miles (I always do on a new car, ya never know what crap got in at the assembly plant) and again at 6k. I intend to keep a 3K interval on oil changes. I'll watch the Decool as well.

------------------
Never been banned here,
Never WILL be,
Because I'VE got manners!

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 08-12-2000, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife's 96 Roadmaster wagon had a plugged heater core at 30000 miles.My friend who works at the dealer said he has seen several plugged cores with dexcool.I don't know how true it is,but I know the history of our car,and no one added anything.
Probably just my luck!