Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-01-2020, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"When bronze liners are used, they sometimes chip the end of the OE iron guide area during installing, or crack them slightly if they use a ball broach to size them. Then a little piece of the guide breaks off in operation. "

I highly agree, we never used liners , and ran a cutter after install to dress up both ends. Never was a fan of liners from a machine shop perspective.

Old 04-01-2020, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELCITYFIREBIRD View Post
"When bronze liners are used, they sometimes chip the end of the OE iron guide area during installing, or crack them slightly if they use a ball broach to size them. Then a little piece of the guide breaks off in operation. "

I highly agree, we never used liners , and ran a cutter after install to dress up both ends. Never was a fan of liners from a machine shop perspective.
I am OK with the liners themselves, it's a love/hate kind of deal. I like that they are thin wall and can be easily installed and replaced. I like that they don't require a big hole to be drilled like a full size guide. I don't like the way most of the kits final size them with a carbide ball or a formed ball broach. Those are driven through the new guide with an air hammer to press and size them to the final size. But blasting a ball shaped sizing tool through an iron head is what can crack and chip the OE guide. Aluminum heads are no issue as far as the ones I have worked on. So my solution has been to install the guides and finish the inside diameter and size them with my Sunnen valve guide hone. It's a time consuming, messy extra operation, but produces very nice results. Very round and straight when finished. Much better than the impact sizing tools.