Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-25-2020, 06:30 PM

Default Ram Air air cleaners

Hi all,
I want the ram air snorkels on my '73 Formula to be functional but would like to use something less bulky than the original air cleaner assembly.
I've attached a pic of the current set up but that air cleaner has to go because it sits too high and touches the hood.
Therefore I decided I would make the ram air functional through the hood scoops but I don't like the bulky original set up.

So, the question.

What are you running for your Ram Air other than the original air cleaner or have you modified it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7719.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	535360  

Old 03-25-2020, 10:54 PM
Senior Chief

If you're interested, I'm selling a factory Motorcraft (Ford) air cleaner. They came on '84-'85 Mustangs. Those years, are the last years of the carburetor Mustangs and they used Holley carbs from the factory. The dual snorkels actually bolt on to the circular housing. You can fab up your own ducts with that setup...

For sale by Jonathon Randolph, on Flickr

Old 03-25-2020, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you don't mind fabricating an upper pan, something along
the lines of a 68 RamAir tub might be just what you're after?

The pic is from Mike Noun's page
http://www.musclecarfilms.com/1969_F...ir_setups.html

Old 03-26-2020, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

You need a TURKEY PAN and some sheet aluminum fabrication, or just make your own air box, that's an expensive pan for your purposes. We make our own air boxes for the dirt late model. Not a lot of room under them 2nd gen hoods. You have a taller intake on it? The lid proximity to the top of the carb often does more harm than good when you get that close. IIRC, the factory setup is a choker on the engine, probably worse with a taller intake. (speculating on intake).
If it was me and I had the OEM setup, I would keep it on unless the car is heavily modified.

http://store.cobranda.com/cotparamairb.html

Last edited by STEELCITYFIREBIRD; 03-26-2020 at 12:27 AM.
Old 03-26-2020, 10:13 AM

Wen i got my 73 formula it already had a homefabricated ramair pan, it lines up with the 2 holes for the snorkels.. and now clear the hood with new bodymount bushings.
It seems to work as IAT temp on my sniper fuelinjection shows ambient temp when cruising. but i am a little worried it is too thin where it sist on the throttlebody there is under 2" of room between the lid and and the throttlebody.

Picture from when i still had a holley 750 4160 carb.

another old picture after painting and adding latches for better clamping of the lid.

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 03-26-2020, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I personally would hate to modify a factory formula hood just to adapt a custom made air box, when the factory setup fits, works, and functions as good or better than anything else that could be made.....with no fuss, bolt on and done. Why go through the work when it's factory engineered.

I've raced my 70 RA bird for 25 years and I can tell you the factory setup works exceptionally well. I've tried all kinds of different mods, with, without, no filter, blocked scoops, open element, and the car has always run it's best times with the factory parts in place and working. Plus not many around with that air cleaner, it's a rare piece and always a point of discussion at the local cruises.

Now on the other hand, my father bought a fiberglass bulged hood for his 69 GTO and he wanted the scoops functional again. Since the hood wasn't a factory piece anyway, this was an opportunity to do something custom. I did a bunch of fiberglass work, made an upper hood pan to work with some L88 corvette parts, lower drop etc....with the filter in the hood. Many many hours of work to make it look like something GM would do, with GM parts, but the end result is a one off deal that is unique and no one else has. So I understand the desire for something like this as well, but it's no easy task.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PA150026.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	535393  

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2020, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustice View Post
Wen i got my 73 formula it already had a homefabricated ramair pan, it lines up with the 2 holes for the snorkels.. and now clear the hood with new bodymount bushings.
It seems to work as IAT temp on my sniper fuelinjection shows ambient temp when cruising. but i am a little worried it is too thin where it sist on the throttlebody there is under 2" of room between the lid and and the throttlebody.

another old picture after painting and adding latches for better clamping of the lid.
Now there's another one off I haven't seen. I'm guessing that was done a long time ago since RA air cleaners for these are repopped now. That's quite a bit of work. At least this idea doesn't modify the hood for an air box.

Old 03-26-2020, 10:29 AM

I have been holding on to this piece, and still use it, i plan on getting a repop ram air pan, but they are too pricy for me atm. but i need to add rubber boots to the hood.
As of now i use adhesive foam around the filter openings to channel air from the hood to the airfilter.

-469 ,Butler 310+ Eheads, Hurricane intake portmatched by butler, Butler roller 230/236 @0.50 112 LSA, Johnson lifters, pypes 2 1/2" exhaust, 3.42 yukon duragrip lsd, holley sniper efi, hyperfuel efi tank +++
Old 03-26-2020, 07:43 PM

thanks for the pics. That is certainly something that is unique. I like the idea. I do still want to retain the original ram air method. I just don't like the bulky original air cleaner assembly.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djustice View Post

What size are the air filters? I'm going to see my fabricator and see if he can make something similar.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good stuff. Need 1050 Dominator flange

Old 03-27-2020, 09:08 AM

I'm running an Edlebrock Performer intake manifold with an Edlebrock 600 carby.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbd73 View Post
I'm running an Edlebrock Performer intake manifold with an Edlebrock 600 carby.
I am also running an edebrock performer. (hopefully a Troker II soon)

In the picture i have hacked of the holley Choke/airhorn and replced it with a K&N stubstack link: https://www.knfilters.com/racing/stubstacks.htm to promote flow into the carb (hopefully )

Just logged into my mail and dug up the order, produkt linked below.
quantity 2x

https://www.knfilters.com/e-3322-round-air-filter

Last edited by djustice; 03-27-2020 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2020, 04:54 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks DJustice. Yours is the only air cleaner I have seen that is different to the original. I like the idea of not changing the hood so will see if my fabricators can make something similar or come up with a different design.