Old 05-17-2022, 09:24 AM

Default Source for timing cover seal

Does anyone have a source for the complete early style timing cover (crankshaft) seal? That is, I need the metal/spring part as well as the cork seal.

Looking around online, it looks like the front cover seal kits only include the cork part…

Old 05-17-2022, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you considered this? http://www.pontiacsafari.com/L1Garag...ealUpgrade.pdf

If you go that way I'll be glad to loan you my alignment tool with a $50 deposit cheerfully refunded after deducting the shipping I pay to get it to you. You will be the 14th "customer" that has used it and no complaints yet.

Old 05-17-2022, 10:23 AM

Considering it for sure Bill, I just want to see what all my options are before I commit to a particular direction…

Old 05-21-2022, 01:41 PM

Bill,
Got the timing cover off the 59, cleaned it and found out ir had already been modified, but by the factoy. Evidently the 59 was the changeover year. good news for meI

progress on 389 into 55: With help got the heads off and took them, with the help of my son in law to the machine shop Wed. Yesterday the called and told me both heads are cracked. There go bigger ports and valves. Good thing I had my 55 heads rebuilt less than 5,000 miles ago and modified for unleaded! That means the exhaust manifold will still fit the steering gear!
Kingman man

2000 Dodge Grand Caravan w w/c lift
2000 Kia Sportage 4 dr
Old 05-21-2022, 03:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingman Man View Post
Bill,
Got the timing cover off the 59, cleaned it and found out ir had already been modified, but by the factoy. Evidently the 59 was the changeover year. good news for meI Kingman man
Maybe already done, but definitely not original. Pontiac Chassis Parts Catalog dated Oct, 1 1966 shows the early seal was used 1933-62 and the later (lip) seal was used starting in 1963. I've heard rumors of '62 421 engines using the lip seal and some low performance engines using the old style seal into 63-64. The same catalog shows one timing cover for 1963 used for "all with 1st type water pump without divider and internal housing" and another timing cover for 1963 used for "2nd type water pump having a divider and internal housing". Looks to ne like the change over was in 1963.

Last edited by Bill Hanlon; 05-21-2022 at 03:50 PM.