Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 05-17-2022, 11:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Maybe someone stuck a banana up your tailpipe(s), or a mouse family moved in

10.09 @ 133
Old 05-18-2022, 08:42 AM

I think it’s more of the accumulation of neglect, slip shod work, and a novice to poor mechanic lol

Old 05-18-2022, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure what Pertronix you have,I have stuck with the original Pertonix 1.Been 20 years and have never had a issue.Have 2 in running engines,last one I bought still shows made in USA.FWIW,Tom

Old 05-18-2022, 12:14 PM

I’m not replacing it yet.. after a little research I figured out I’m missing the firewall to head ground strap, and the one from the body to the trans is original equipment.. before I replace anything that has to do with electricity I’m going to make sure I get the whole grounding situation fixed, also have a set of midd wires I need to put together to replace the summit ones

Old 05-18-2022, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0300youmadeit View Post
The idle screws are 1 and 1/2 turn out.
Because that's where the engine runs best, or because that's where you put them during your initial setting before the engine fired and ran?

In other words...sounds like you need some fine-tuning of the mixture screws, after you get some other issues figured-out.

Quote:
The floats were sitting half way up when I had the car apart, and the fuel sits at just about the top of the porthole on the carb.
Fuel level is at the TOP of the "porthole" on the carb?

That's not right.

Old 05-18-2022, 01:36 PM

1.5 turns out: for initial set up
Top of sight window (I’m getting the terminology down): that’s where it was which I now have learned is not right. The needle and east was completely fouled, I replace both the front and rear.

I spent hours on YouTube last night learning more about the carb.. hope it pays off. One question though.. when I rebuilt it the accelerator pump had a rubber piece, the original just had a little non on it and the replacement one has about 1/2 inch of thin rubber.. should I cut this so it doesn’t interfere with the float or should I get a different one? Thanks

Old 05-18-2022, 05:20 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
1.5 turns out: for initial set up
Top of sight window (I’m getting the terminology down): that’s where it was which I now have learned is not right. The needle and east was completely fouled, I replace both the front and rear.

If you have an older holley carb with small brass sealing plugs then the fuel level needs to be just below the hole when the plug is removed.
If you bump the fender (with your thigh), the gas should just seep out of the bowl.

Because you have, it seems a "Port Hole" fuel bowl, then the fuel level should be in the center of the port hole glass height. NOT AT THE TOP.

I spent hours on YouTube last night learning more about the carb.. hope it pays off. One question though.. when I rebuilt it the accelerator pump had a rubber piece, the original just had a little non on it and the replacement one has about 1/2 inch of thin rubber.. should I cut this so it doesn’t interfere with the float or should I get a different one? Thanks
You must cut the stem of the Umbrella Seal off just above the nub after you install it. All new ones come with the stem. You use a pliers to pull the stem thru the bowl to install it. THEN you cut the stem off above the nub.

Tom V.

ps "Post #21 "Maybe someone stuck a banana up your tailpipe(s), or a mouse family moved in" "

I may have, in my lifetime, installed a pealed potato in a tailpipe, but installing a banana is a new one for me.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 05-18-2022 at 05:45 PM.
Old 05-18-2022, 06:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orH6ZSY0W1o

Old 05-18-2022, 07:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You Save the skin because that’s where a lot of the nutrients are, lol!
Expanding foam insulation is my go to for complete nasty A holes that really deserve such .

Old 05-19-2022, 09:36 AM

Well I drainers the oil.. fortunately no coolant.. but it may have been better equal parts gas as it was oil.. lm letting it air out a little bit to hopefully evaporate what left before I put in the new oil..

I pulled the carb off, properly trimmed the umbrella on the accelerator pump, set the floats about midway up, replace the baseplate gasket (I had put one on that was too smal, and it kept the primary open and the transfer slots were way to exposed). Before I try to run it again I’ll verify spark on every plug.. If it floods again I may just get a new carb