Old 05-18-2022, 05:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any Dampening Foam pointers?

So I've got some 3M NVH Dampening Material 04274, and the 3M gun to apply it. Any pointers? Is this stuff sticky? Does it expand at all? How clean do the surfaces need to be?

Some of the sheet metal seems to have considerable variability as to how far it is spaced from the braces ... going by how it separated from the braces and the original foam. Not really sure if it's wise to move the sheet metal closer .. don't want to make any waves in the surface. So do I just put the foam in and let the sheet metal find it's happy spot? I don't see any obvious bulges or wave in the sheet metal at present.

Thanks

Old 05-18-2022, 07:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It does expand when first dispensed. It is sticky but still needs a clean surface to bond to. I primed all the areas I used it. I don't think factory panels were primed.

The repop hood I bought was completely missing spots of foam along one side, so I put some in each location, then gently pushed the hood skin down to ensure it make good contact. The skin easily returned to its previous location and the then I let the product set up.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following User Says Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 01:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That should work ... didn't think of that. Thank you.

Old 05-22-2022, 08:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the tip mrennie, worked nicely.

Although after using this very expensive little tube of stuff ... seems to me any decent, black, urethane seam sealer would do the same job for MUCH less money. Although under the hood I'd be more likely to use a dedicated product due to the heat and fumes. I thought this stuff would be more of a "foam" like originally used .. but pretty much has the exact same properties of cured urethane seam sealer.

Old 05-22-2022, 06:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the SEM brand it looks more like factory, but it did distort the quarter a tiny tiny bit. I ended up blocking it again and spraying another coat of epoxy and that fixed it., i forgot to do it before body work. Also got a little bit on my fingers that took like a month to go away,lol.

The Following User Says Thank You to n20ta2 For This Useful Post: