Old 04-24-2010, 05:14 AM

Default RAM AIR MANIFOLD HELP

HOWDY YALL,

HEY HAS ANYBODY OUT THERE FOUND A FOOL PROOF WAY TO MAKE RAM AIR III D PORT MANIFOLDS SEAL TO A HEAD ???? NEEDLESS TO SAY THEY DO NOT HAVE THE FULL COMPLEMENT OF BOLT HOLES TO REALLY GET THE BEST POSSIBLE SEAL AGAINST MY 71 400 96 HEADS. I KNOW THE FACTORY USED STEEL/COPPER STYLE GASKETS AND I KNOW FOR A FACT SOME TIMES THEY SEALED AND SOME TIMES THEY DID NOT, HAS ANYBODY TRIED HITTING THEM WITH COPPER SEAL PRIOR TO INSTALL, IF YOU HAVE THESE MANIFOLDS AND GOT THEM TO STOP LEAKING COULD YOU PLEASE SHED SOME LIGHT ON HOW YOU DID IT !!!!!!! THANKS CHAD

Old 04-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It sounds like you are using 1970 manifolds.

They only have 3 mounting holes per side and are MORE prone to leaking if the mating surface is warped or rough/uneven.

Check them with a straight edge (head mounting surface as well)

I generally have the machine shop clean/true them up with thier belt sander.

If BOTH sealing surfaces ARE true they SHOULD seal properly with the OEM style steel shim gaskets.

Reproduction manifolds are the 69 style which have an EXTRA mounting hole on each side which generally give LESS problems.

Old 04-24-2010, 11:37 AM
Senior Chief

X2 I was about to say the same , check the surface on both.