Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-04-2020, 11:06 AM

Default Line Lock Question

I've had a Hurst Line Lock on the shelf for years, finally time to put it on. '67 GTO, 4sp, manual drums, installing on the front bakes. The instructions say to install it after the distribution block, plugging one brake line outlet and teeing after the solenoid to the 2 front breaks. Is this the best way to do this? Can it be installed between the master cylinder and distribution block? Seems easier.
If anyone has pics of there install, they would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:35 AM
Suspended

No

Installing before the block will activate all "brakes". Hurst has had those instructions since the invention of the line lock, Follow them.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you've got a dual master cylinder then the answer is yes.

Tried to delete this. I need to look at my car. I modified mine to a dual master cylinder, so my distribution block plumbing might be different.

Old 10-04-2020, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had my line lock installed before the distribution block on my Chevelle for decades. Dual master with power front disc.

All it does is cause the brake light to come on when activated because it's moving the valve in the distribution block and triggering the switch with only the front brakes used. Once I'm done with the burnout and use the brakes again, it centers the valve and the light goes out.

I only did it this way because the lines around the headers were much easier to access at the time, and I've found no real need to dig back into it and start redoing new lines "after" the distribution block.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 10-05-2020, 10:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

How about disable the rear brakes for burnout? When I had drums I always pushed thru the front brakes in the burnout box. So I had the lock on the rears so I could stand on the brakes. I recently did a front disc conversion. Can I still put the lock in the rear line with front disc/ rear drum?

White '67 LeMans 407/TH350/Ford 3.89... RIP
Red '67 LeMans. 407/TH400/Ford 3.25
Old 10-05-2020, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

On my IA Camaro I use the line lok as the T for the front lines and adjustable prop valve in the rear for the rears.Got rid of factory distribution /prop valve.

One of my Charger buddies uses it in the rear to disable the rears for his burnout. You can even when engaged added pressure with the pedal so not sure if there is a one way valve in it if plumbing in the rear.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-05-2020, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just simply pump the brakes a couple times, make sure I have adequate foot pressure on the pedal, then hit the button to lock the front brakes and have at it. I've never had any issues pushing through the front brakes in the burnout box.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE