THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-08-2019, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the Bing page today.... I'm picturing a lifted truck with 20 sets of towing mirrors and a light bar capable of illuminating a small city.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BingWallpaper-2019-12-08.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	526269  

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2019, 03:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I could only find 'flathatting' references to airplanes flying extremely low. Nothing referring to pickup trucks?

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 12-08-2019, 03:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
How about the tall snorkel air intakes sticking up beside the passenger side window? like they are going anywhere near water!
That seemed to be the norm for four wheelers when I was in Australia.
May come in handy in the AZ valley where in a normal vehicle you can't traverse a road dip during a rainstorm.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 12-09-2019, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

The Chevrolet accessory for the Colorado, I believe was to move the air intake up out of the dirty air stream. If you go in that much water there are bigger problems.

Old 12-09-2019, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bear in mind that the hod-rodded 32 fords and such that we now consider awesome example of vintage automobilia .... were at the time ridiculed by the guys our age as asinine examples of teenage douchebaggery

BTW, I was pretty sure that term was invented in our upstate NY bar about 15 years ago.

Along with Waggonwheeling and Corndooring ... both of which have far more innocent origins than you might think.

Old 12-09-2019, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
The Chevrolet accessory for the Colorado, I believe was to move the air intake up out of the dirty air stream. If you go in that much water there are bigger problems.
I’ve heard that it’s to avoid splashes. We had big rains out here on Thanksgiving, and I drove my Yukon through a parking lot that was flooded up to the curbs. (About 5 inches.). The waves of water flew well above hood level.

Old 12-09-2019, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tooski View Post
That seemed to be the norm for four wheelers when I was in Australia.
May come in handy in the AZ valley where in a normal vehicle you can't traverse a road dip during a rainstorm.
If you are using your 4x4 for any sort of off-road where creek or river crossings may be encountered, a snorkel is a must have accessory. I've done a lot of 4WD touring with mates (always in their cars) and we have crossed some serious rivers. Essentially, if the river is about 2 foot deep and not running excessively, when you enter the water you will create quite a bow wave with water flowing over the hood. A Snorkel alleviates the danger of water being drawn into the engine.

Safari Snorkels are the "go to" product down here. Sold world wide I believe. Some are only used on school mum run cars of course but if you need a massive 4WD to go and take the kids to school, there must be something wrong in their heads anyway.

Take a look: https://www.safari4x4.com.au/

Old 12-09-2019, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
We have a lot of that here too (and many "interesting" Jeeps).

Based on this thread, I'd say if their goal is to get attention it must be working so more power to them!

At least they are into modifying their vehicles and not afraid to work on them.

Big change from the vehicular flora of suburban Seattle where we last lived for sure!

Even if some are comical, I'd rather look and listen to most of them than the remaining 99% of the cars that remind me of jelly beans on wheels.
Hmmm young guys ( looking at the trucks posted) trying for attention? LOL yea im guilty. I would've drove a Toyota pickup with a 8inch lift, a very loud stereo, winch in the front roll bar with kc hi lighters if I thought it would get me some "attention" ….but yea it did.LOL most of us know what im talking about. I also had some fast cars etc..for the day..and they got me some attention as well.OK im gonna say it The Girls!!

And I see these types of cars and trucks daily but I chuckle to myself because I know why they do it..i know why I did it.

Old 12-11-2019, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarebird View Post
Drivers here in New Mexico are a rum lot - either flathatting like maniacs or barely moving. We also have an excess of jacked up full size pickup with the usual assortment of redneck nonsense: 8"+ diameter exhaust extensions, tow nuts, etc.

But one thing in particular lately warrants these twunts a swift kick: running towing mirrors when you are not actually towing anything. Perhaps it is these mouthbreather's equivalent of manspreading on the road and in parking lots?

note the bed exhaust in the last pic - pure dopery [/rant]

I'm confused why you care what other people do with their side mirrors? How does it affect you? Seriously who cares if they fold out their mirrors?

87 Grand National
Nothing stock

2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport Twin Turbo
Tune and cold air daily driver.

2019 CT6 BLACKWING
Old 12-11-2019, 12:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will give you an example:

A few days ago I stopped by a gas station to fill up a small gas can. I parked my truck so the pass. side was by the pumps - trying to be courteous to other customers as most fill necks are on the drivers side. As I filled my can, another truck pulled in to use the pumps on my drivers side. He had his mirrors fully extended and his pass. mirror was less than 6 inches from my door glass prohibiting me from opening my door. I simply folded his mirror back hard enough to make a loud crack and got in my truck.

He was not happy but elected not to pursue the issue - maybe he learned something.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep we were crazy in out teens,just different times. Same around here,wooden beds are common to replace rusty beds.Just wait till that mirror gets broken! Guy hit mine they were in,800.00 to repair luckily door wasnt damaged from hit.I'd like to be there when kid is 50 or 60 trying to climb into jacked up truck.

Old 12-11-2019, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of these kids are buying the trucks used, they probably came with the mirrors. I mean if you shop for a big diesel it's probably going to have tow mirrors on it.