Old 10-30-2019, 03:58 PM
Senior Chief

Default Sticker removal

How do ya remove those stickers they put in from the factory.....like the Trans Am stuff......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtKk5GNtWH0

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you're stupid.
-John Wayne
Old 10-30-2019, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say a heat gun or hot hair dryer and peel it off.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They make these weird eraser wheels that go on your drill that "wear" off the sticker without harming the paint. Obviously they must be used carefully.

I used them to remove all the dealership stickers on some of my heavy equipment ... work very well ... and don't hurt the paint ... although this is heavy equipment, not a Trans Am.

Just do a search on "Eraser Wheel" on Amazon ... tons of them come up .... and most of them recommended for just your purpose.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have taken vinyl lettering off with mild heat from a heat gun, hair dryer may work as well. Once the vinyl gets warm enough it comes off pretty easy. Then again none of what I did was 40 years old either. Not sure what your end game is but if you just want a cleaner look, beware that the long term placement of the decals has most likely left a shadow. Especially the hood birds. I dont know what does it, may be the glue, but they etch themselves into the paint. I have had a half dozen hoods in the past that the bird was completely gone but the image was 'burnt' into the paint.

Old 10-31-2019, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heat gun and you need at least one fingah nail. Then some adhesive removah. But like noted above ^^^^^^ ....if you are going to refinish said panel....that area where the stripe was...has to be stripped to bare metal,or you will see a ghost of where the stripe use to be?

Old 10-31-2019, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If using an eraser wheel, be aware that they create heat that can burn/melt/disturb lacquer finishes, even the factory finish. Seen it, done it.

Old 10-31-2019, 11:42 AM
Senior Chief

If the decal/sticker has been on the vehicle for a long time, and been exposed to the sun for a long time, expect to see a 'shadow' when the decal is removed. In effect, the decal 'protects' the underlying paint from the uv rays, which, over time, dull the finish.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:01 PM
Senior Chief

Thanx Guys,,,its on the spoiler...some old dealer crap......

Heat gun it is and I'll get bbn one of those eraser wheels .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtKk5GNtWH0

Life is tough. Life is tougher when you're stupid.
-John Wayne