Old 03-03-2019, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great progress! I would like to know about the stands you're using. Can you share some information on those? Where they came from, brand or part numbers? Satisfied with the quality and stability? I've built my own tall stands in the past, but they require lots of labor hours to hand build. A PM will be fine. Thanks for posting the progress.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
Great progress! I would like to know about the stands you're using. Can you share some information on those? Where they came from, brand or part numbers? Satisfied with the quality and stability? I've built my own tall stands in the past, but they require lots of labor hours to hand build. A PM will be fine. Thanks for posting the progress.
ACME tools, sunex 10 ton high height, 239.99 pr free shipping

I was going to fab my own also but for the price of these wasn't worth it. very happy with them, strong and well built. have em on the lowest setting, will go really high.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 12 bolt install

moved to getting the rear suspension completed. when I was in my 20's I was a weight lifter and amazed my buddies by curling a 12 bolt rear back then! yeh, not now ha. thought of that while hooking up the hoist.

I didn't want the chrome cover showing so painted over it. wasn't pleased with the brake lines moser installed but its not a show car so i'll live with em. the bends were as though whomever did it had no clue. oh well.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 03-17-2019, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default rear suspension completed

all installed. new axle bumpers, shocks, sway bar, brake lines etc. feeling like a car again.

black rustproofing all done. the black is under rated I say! just because its there doesn't necessarily mean its hiding something. I undercoated after por15 and seam sealer to protect the heck out of it. nothing shady underneath and everything I replaced I welded up stronger than need be to boot. black means your gonna drive it as it should be not a flower pot on wheels.

first thing I did when lowering it down was to check level with all the torque box and frame rail replacement. was nervous about that even though I measured etc during the work, but had never done it so still wondered the whole time. it sit perfect! the level bubble was even dead center. pretty thrilled there not even a slight lean anywhere.

the car sits to high I expected that with no gas tank in and gas weighs just over 6lbs a gallon so won't know what I have till that's in. I do plan on cutting the front coils -the right way- to settle the front down.

cannot find a pinion bumper like it originally had so I plan to use the 69 gto type and fab a bracket.

I welded the upper sway bar link brackets to the frame.

Old 03-17-2019, 03:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sweet! Another beast coming back to life.

Old 03-18-2019, 08:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keep in mind when you lower the front, it raises the back some. It's a juggle to trim coils and get it 'right'.

Looks great, I'm a fan of the bed liner stuff. (And POR-15).

Welding those brackets is a good idea, since some have pulled those out or stripped the holes/threads.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 03-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dang, didn't know you were getting a new rear, would have made a couple suggestions. One, ordering it 1/2" narrower on each side takes into account for any future disc upgrades, without pushing the wheels/tires out.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 03-18-2019, 10:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

yeh getting the ride or stance height I want isn't going to be fun. thought about that, cutting the coils may make it rake forward and I hate that. not doing anything until I get the gas tank in with fuel. I may have to change out the rear leafs and front coils if need be. getting that right is important. seems a hit and miss thing darn it. I have not found any info for the 70-73 as to any "magic" leafs and coils for the right stance. not sure what direction to go there.

I won't be going with rear disc brakes. I even went with manual brakes. had front discs rear drum manual on my 69 Judge clone and loved it. kind of driving I do manual is fine.

the stance is major to me, hate the thought of having to eat my current leaf/coils but bet I have to.

thanks for the input!

Old 03-18-2019, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When you say 'rake forward', can you explain that? Like, are you meaning the nose slightly lower than the rear?

Since I've been using Global West springs/leafs, never had an issue with rake, stance, or drop, Doug gets it right. A short conversation on the phone, and done. And even if it's a year later, and you get it together and it's not what you want, you can exchange them.

Gotcha on the brakes. I did large drums in the rear for a long time, but there's just such better pedal feel and modulation with discs all around IMO. (for the driving I do)

What kind of leafs and springs do you have now?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yeh by rake I mean sits higher in the rear than front.

global west is the place huh. awesome, thank you wish I'd have known would have got em from them. I have gw subframe connectors. I got the ones on the car from classic industries. maybe they will work with me on a return.

don't get me wrong, 4 wheel discs are awesome, I just don't need em. I'm in the minority there for sure. I just cruise some and race once in awhile. not into hard cornering and braking.

thanks again, when ready i'll get with global west.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually a little rake is good, and most do like that better than the alternative. Going to be tough to have it stay at the same ride front/rear, with the fuel level changing. Well, talk to Doug about it, see what he says, sure there's a solution, he will know.

Guys in the 70-74 section would know what the 'original' stance was, and in some cases I think the rear sat slightly lower than the front, but not sure. Know the service manual has frame point measurements, that might give a clue.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yes, the rear did sit a smidge lower than the front - I think it was this way the whole second gen run - it had something to in part to do with water draining through (washing the insides of) the rockers.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-20-2019, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

as it turns out, I had seen where leaf springs can be "de-arched". so I'm going that route. I have a local spring shop and its about $60 a spring. its a simple process and does not affect the strength or spring load. turns out its commonly done to achieve desired stance height.

so I purchased an assembly manual and have the measurements of stock ride height.

going to simulate fuel tank/gas weight but so far I need about a 3 1/4" drop. when I get the leafs right, then i'll know how much to trim the front coils.

glad I can go this route!

Old 03-20-2019, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default re-arching video

how its done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYWfYyYQ2kA

Old 03-20-2019, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Coming along quick......very nice work!

Old 03-31-2019, 04:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Leaf and coil spring adjustments

I re-arched my leaf springs and it gave me exactly what I was after. very pleased! all springs were installed to have it mocked up. no fuel tank or interior yet so I put weight in the trunk and inside to simulate.

the as delivered leaf's had a 6 1/4" free arch. car sat really high.

I had them re-arched to 3 1/4" free arch and it sit perfect to achieve my when completed 28" ground to fender. with the completed weight and a bit of settling it will be just what I was after.

I don't want or like the modern day on the ground look. want the as new look.

I see some well known spring suppliers providing what is supposed to be a 3" "lowering" leaf spring yet had 5 1/4" free arch which means still to high! and what is stated as a stock height is at 8" free arch which would be really high.

The re-arching lengthened the leaf spring just barely an inch and mounted up leaving the shackle at a nice 10-15 degree angle.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default front coil cutting

finished the front coils today. wanted to bump down slow with these so I trimmed 1 1/2" off which is not even a full coil. the one inch at the coil is 2" at the body was not accurate with these coil springs as I got exactly 1 1/2" drop at the body also. that's ok, I can trim more and I'll be right at 28" where I want to be.

If you don't trim to much the ride is not affected. soon as I sit it down I rocked the body at each fender and it rocked smoothly and easily same as before trimming. proof trimming coils correctly is not a problem.

one pic is of the new coils trimmed compared to the sagged originals. the crusty originals were sagged so bad you can hardly tell which end is the square end. they would stand up on both ends.

so I'll be visiting the front coils again later but back to metal work for now. done with the leaf's though!

Old 04-27-2019, 07:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default quarter etc etc

removed the quarter panel, outer wheel house, trunk drop off. purchased the full quarter from goodmark as I wanted to cut and replace where I choose rather than get a quarter skin. also I needed the door jamb for a repair there anyway.

Old 04-27-2019, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default door jamb splice repair

once rust gets into the torque box and aft rocker area it eats away the bottom door jamb. cut what little I needed from the goodmark panel and spliced it in. I had to rebuild the quarter panel inner brace at the bottom as well. I was very careful with the welding of the jamb piece so it blends in. ready to tackle the outer wheel house next. prior to this car the most iv'e done is patch panels, enjoying the challenge.

I cut the quarter panel leaving the good portion of the original where it meets the tail panel so I have original "square" points to match up to.

Old 04-29-2019, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Real nice work!!