Old 08-16-2019, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Look at that crusty critter!

these pics were of late July last year. just getting ready for removing the crusty peg leg rear and start rust repairs. looking back, I accomplished a ton in one year with only available weekends and days off. I read a magazine statement in hemmings that a restoration should only take 2 years. maybe if your retired and can devote all your time to it!

it looks even worse than it was, this car was a bit unusual on rust. trunk floor is excellent that allowed me to keep the car together. no rust at rear or front windshields. just the big repair at the passenger side inner quarter brace was the hassle. all else was old panel remove, new panel replace. I could stick my fingers all the way thru to the interior at that rust area behind the passenger door jamb.

glad that's over.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 11:00 AM.
Old 08-16-2019, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default only quarter skins left for metal work complete!

all welded up on the outside splice in. smoothed the welds and promptly rust proofed. I like to por15 the welds etc before seam sealing so it drains into any pin holes or voids I didn't see. welded the bracket back on, I left the bottom flange to inner panel loose until I fit the quarter skins. its drilled & copper weld thru treated and ready. notice that all original bumper bracket locations were retained also.

I will be spraying all areas with epoxy primer yet before the skins go on.

I'm going to take it slow on the skins, fit both sides then I figure I can go from one side to the other tack welding and thereby keep the welds cooler and avoid warping.

I have a lot of seam sealing and further rust proofing to do before moving on. will be awhile maybe wait for cool season yet.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Good black stuff

everything in the right places that I could see and touch got 3 coats of por15. some semi-gloss and some gloss just depended on what my shop supplier had on hand. go's a long way actually. I like it better than spraying primer because it seeps between seams and voids you can't get to.

entire bottom of the car got the 3 coats then undercoating.

doing all this for the next guy I suppose. heck I could have left it alone with primer and would easily lasted me, just like knowing I'm hopefully pro-longing the cars life span for years and years to come.

Old 08-18-2019, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front bumper endura

The front bumper was in very good condition on this car. I hand sanded it, used the 3m flex filler in a few areas, also filled the bumper jack slots beings there not needed.

I have never taken one down to bare endura and never had a problem. using a high quality epoxy primer is the key. I used Ppg epoxy recommended via a restorers book.

Old 08-18-2019, 08:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Door rebuild

I was searching for a set of doors beings these were bottom rusted so bad. then I found a new (at the time) reproduction bottom door patch panel and decided to rebuild mine. actually enjoyed it because I thought they were toast. I cut the repair panel to only what I needed to replace rust.

for the price of the repair panel, skin, & hinges I have brand new doors.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Finally back to relaxin shop time

Been nothing but life duties and home maintenance lately. (imagine that) began the quarterpanel replacement. bought full quarters from goodmark so I could cut to where I wanted, the skins didn't have enough to em.

pleasantly surprised, I suppose after all the skill learning as I go, that the quarters were almost easy. the outer wheelhouse fits very nicely to the quarter only minor tweaking of the outer wheelhouse needed. other cuts and trimmed areas also as to be expected from a reproduction panel but overall extremely happy with the panel. usually its been one side to good to be true, the other a real hassel so we'll see what the drivers side has in store. going to get both fit, then weld at the same time forcing me to go slow and let the metal cool going from one side to the other.

got around to putting up foamboard insulation in my shop, really made a difference. pic of our Kansas homestead on a beautiful autumn day today.

Old 11-09-2019, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Fitment of quarters

I do have a lot of experience trimming to fit. my Dad taught me how to build balsa aircraft when I was young and later in life I trimmed to fit many a panel on actual production aircraft.

I trimmed up to the butt weld fit slowly. 4 or 5 rough cuts before another 4 to 6 times trimming with a 2" sanding wheel with my dotco. the tight butt weld fit helps not blowing thru it so easily.

I took my time and had the quarter up and down likely 25 times. maybe more.

only a 70-73 firebird owner will understand the one pic. its where the trunk drop off, inner and outer tail panels, and the quarter come together. to my knowledge there is no "filler" piece for back there. seems odd, and certainly a major area for water and debris to hit and start rust so i'll be overkilling the area with preventative measures for sure.

the seam is not visible from the trunk unless you plant your head on the trunk floor and look up at it. after spatter paint and such be hard to see even then.

enjoying the heck out of the process now. should have quarters done and the remaining blue areas (cars original color is silver) of the car sanded and epoxy primed by the end of December. then on to gap welding and adjustment before actual bodywork.

Old 11-10-2019, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Build thread

I've posted this but beings this turned into my build thread, wanted to post it all here.

the dash bezel was 40 bucks via ebay a non ac firebird bezel. wanted speedhut gauges with built in blinkers so plugged the bezel arrows, bored the 2 trans am gauge hole locations, used the engine turn vinyl to cover, painted the surround black. new firebird emblem -centered- , always thought it weird Pontiac placed the bird off-kilter to one side or the other.

blocker kit scoop mod. fabbed the screen plate, welded nuts to it and epoxied it in. repop scoop and reinforcement plate.

Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Looks to me like you would make a GOOD body man!!!

Old 11-17-2019, 04:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Quarter panels final fitted

Thank you Gtokid1968, 'preciate it.

Both quarter "skins" final fit completed. started with full quarters and cut to fit as skins where I wanted them. ready for prep to weld up.

any non-pros out there with decent skills that shy away from the quarters I would say don't. do it yourself it wasn't very difficult. just a large patch panel is all.
I flirted with chickening out but upon a body man stating he gets $1,000 per quarter, no way. glad he said that, they were no big deal.

the outer wheel houses and trunk drops offs both fit very very nice to the quarters, minor splice cutting and fitting is all. the passenger side was the better quarter, the drivers side was not stamped nearly as cleanly but again wasn't really difficult just took more up-and-downs to get right.

really tickled with my main checkpoints...…….the quarters meet the same point in the tire viewed from the rear, the match to the tail panel is good except for the mismatch on the passenger side, the fwd and aft gap to the tire on both sides is near exact, I put the bumper up to check level to mounting holes and all good. all viewed angles look great.

notes: the little magnets are a must for this, extremely helpful and worth the pricey cost.

Old 11-18-2019, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice work!

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 11-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default passenger side welded up

Thank you HWYSTR455

Passenger side all welded on. still have to go back over the weld and fine tune em but want to move on to the drivers side and get it to the same point.

I did get some warping as hard as I tried not to. but its my first quarter install. also as tight as I had it fitting, learned you don't want it that tight I don't think. I didn't take into account how the panel changes via expansion so I actually had to use the cutting wheel and open the gap up more as I went in a few areas.

after the drivers side is on, i'll do some hammer/dolly/stretching work and see how that works in the warp areas. experts please chime in on that would like to hear advice on that.

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 11-30-2019, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I have a car now!

Both quarters completed, I didn't realize how much it would make it a car again, very excited. major milestone. hasn't been a complete car since 2015.

my worst fears of not getting them right etc were not realized! they came out extremely nice. went slower on the drivers side and it came out better by quite a bit. the hammer and dolly worked on the passenger side when I briefly tried it on one spot. so I still have that to do yet but its minor.

the tail panel fit and quarter panel/trunk drop off angles are the same, measurements to the shop floor are the same also. very pleased with the results being my first time with this! zero major issue or cosmetic issues.

the big stuff is over! lotta fine tuning to do now and looking forward to it. I love building a car. enjoy the entire process. (except laying on my back under the car welding!)

Old 11-30-2019, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default few more pics

I put the spoiler and bumper up loosely to check all the angles etc.

I really like knowing everything underneath those quarters is new and rustproofed to the nth' degree.

It all started oct 2015 with a u haul trailer...…..

Old 01-20-2020, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default movin on...

alum oxide blasted the crusty bumper brackets and welded them back on.

fitted the repop panel just below the rear glass. had to cut the little "feet" and re weld them on as they were to low causing a mismatch between the lid when closed. also needed to be trimmed on the sides to get it to sit right. then I carefully removed the pins that hold the clips for the molding from the original and welded those on to the new repop. this panel was a bit crusty but underneath it and all around the rear glass base is rust free and dry as a bone. hard to believe. -but glad-

finally finished all the seam sealing por15 and undercoating. this is a time consuming effort to remove the loose crusty stuff and replace and seal up and rustproof nicely. I think I could submerge this car in water and it wouldn't touch bare metal anywhere! ha. dig it though.

in between it all my beloved CHIEFS made it to the superbowl! I watched them win the superbowl on tv with my dad in 1970. 9 years old. all us neighborhood kids loved the chiefs and played a lot of sandlot football.

Old 01-20-2020, 06:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default different direction

going to move away from the body work stuff for awhile to take a break from it. all the new metal and rust repairs are done. final gap fitment is next, will be welding on some thin wire as needed to make the gaps nice. then final body filler and endless sanding. be awhile before I get to that. going to complete most of the rest of the car now. I want to be able to pull it in and out of the shop under power to sand and such so its not so messy.

put the fuel tank in about ready to start it up after over a year and a half. added a roll over valve to the fuel tank vent beings I tossed the funky emissions set up between the rear seat as well as the canister that was in the engine bay.

had the original driveshaft cut at both ends to remove the weaker 1310 ends and had new 1350 series yokes welded on. added a forged sonnax trans yoke and the moser rear has the forged 1350 as well. all balanced and installed. -its not a butler driveshaft, just had the cool decal. and added my version of a "correct" Pontiac engine blue stripe!

if anyone needs the info, the firebird with the th350 trans driveshaft works without shortening for moving to a th400. the th350 trans yoke is 5 1/2" so I used the 32 spline 5 1/2" th400 sonnax yoke.

Old 02-09-2020, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Aftermarket radiator mounting

Planned on electric fans so went with a champion aftermarket aluminum radiator. this presents custom mounting. figured there were a lot of aftermarket set ups making this easy but I didn't find any nor did anyone that's done this here want to reveal there method lol.

maybe better/easier ways but here's what I did and it came out great with the radiator mounted very solidly and cushioned. wanted to use the original rubber mounting gaskets I had so I fabricated some brackets for the lower engine side that encapsulate the bottom rubber ends. on the lower bumper side, the small original brackets worked perfect.

for the top of the radiator I used small 1/2" square tubing and fabbed brackets at the original fan shroud nutplate locations and welded it up. the square tubing fit perfect against the radiator and leveled out with the top hump.

used automotive/marine self adhesive rubber on the square tubing that pulls against the radiator and at the bottom of the square tubing. cleaned and hit it with some semi gloss rattle can and called er' good.

Old 02-09-2020, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What I did was use 64-67 GTO lower radiator brackets, then fab a top plate. I'm going to re-do my top plate, right now I just have short 'tabs'. I want to do a flat plate with a 90 bend on the core so it covers it all up. Can use either the 64-67 top brackets, or lower brackets, with the rubber isolators, will figure it out once I get that far.

https://www.inlinetube.com/products/...SABEgLh0vD_BwE

I too remember looking high and low for what others have done, but didn't find anything. Same with top plates, no one makes them to sell to the public, or I didn't find them.

Bunch of places offer 'universal' brackets/mounts, but none I saw looked clean enough or were too bulky.

When I do my top plate, I will make a template, so others can use it too. If you search, you will see when I originally went to electric fans I posted asking, but never really got any decent input.

1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
Old 02-09-2020, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

yeh I found a couple universal panels that looked to funky and required mods to fit anyway. what I did looks a bit to "industrial" but it will do till I can mod it later. not after a pro tour polished thing though. wanted to fab my own panel but didn't have anything big enough to break (bend) the panel as needed. i'm in get the car done mode so I can live with it and have some fun doing things later down the road.

Old 02-09-2020, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm taking the same approach, get it on the road and can do small, detail-oriented projects on weekends with a beer. I've been without driving something with more than 400hp for too long!