The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-29-2019, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Paint manufacturer that might hit it right the first time

Having the GTO basically torn apart at one point,,, I've got some spots that show the original mint turquoise paint. Not until we started to remove some layers of paint did I realize the car had been painted 4 times,,,the original mint turquoise and then another time in the same color but it didn't match very well compared to the original. The car was 16 years old when I got it so it had been repainted in mint t again and then white . I painted it cardinal red in 86. The second time it had been painted in mint t it was too light and I'd like to get it close to the original color. Is there a paint manufacturer that might be better than the rest at nailing the color correct the first time? Or does it matter and who ever mixes it will probably have to tweak it to get the correct hue?

Old 09-29-2019, 05:14 PM
Senior Chief

The paint store that mixes paint for body shops can mix correct. That is where I go.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you can find a NAPA parts store that does paint well, the Martin Senour Rod and Restoration Deck has some of the popular factory standards matched up in modern technology paint. My code N burgundy is spot on and in that color deck. Not sure about your mint color. irgoatmike

Old 11-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott70 View Post
Having the GTO basically torn apart at one point,,, I've got some spots that show the original mint turquoise paint. Not until we started to remove some layers of paint did I realize the car had been painted 4 times,,,the original mint turquoise and then another time in the same color but it didn't match very well compared to the original. The car was 16 years old when I got it so it had been repainted in mint t again and then white . I painted it cardinal red in 86. The second time it had been painted in mint t it was too light and I'd like to get it close to the original color. Is there a paint manufacturer that might be better than the rest at nailing the color correct the first time? Or does it matter and who ever mixes it will probably have to tweak it to get the correct hue?
Only way to get it correct is to paint it in lacquer. Other paint will be close but never exact.
TCP global sells Lacquer and that is the best bet to get it the way you want it.

White/Black 70 RAIII T/A M21/373 (stripper)
Carousel Red/Black 69 GTO Judge 4 Sp
2002 Firehawk Red/Black 6Sp