Old 10-28-2019, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My "cheap" paint job

2017-11-09_12-05-10 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2018-04-24_03-00-46 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2018-04-24_03-00-04 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
There has been discussion regarding how much a paint job should cost. I could not afford 10's of thousands of dollars for a paint job. So I did it myself. I have about $3k in this paint job, including materials, and tools (labor excluded). Up to this point I had a lot of experience with a spray gun doing furniture but never a car. For the most part it came out pretty good. When parked in a show field I would say it hits right in the middle. There are plenty of paint jobs much nicer and there are plenty that are a whole lot worse. I enjoy driving my car and do not have illusions of winning any trophies against a concours restored 57 chevy, but I dont worry TOO much about driving it either. I wanted to let some other guys out there know that it can be done on a very low budget and you can have a car to be proud of. This is not a knock on any professional shop.
2019-09-26_06-26-20 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-09-26_06-26-02 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-09-25_08-12-56 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
And this is my current project that I have recently put the paint to. This has been wet sanded up to 3000 and buffed to date. I have less than $1k into this one so far, as I already had the guns, buffer, paper, compounds, etc. from my first car.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:48 AM

Kerry....... are you for hire or wanna start your own business? Outstanding work!
I'm with you... I could never afford to sub bodywork and paint out either so I also do my own. Thanks for posting and showing what is truly possible with space, time and practice.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, and I already have my own business (not painting cars)! Its not that fun!! LOL.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great! Plus any touch ups and you have the equipment to fix it now. Well done!

Old 10-28-2019, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have always wondered how one gets $10,000 into a paint job. I guess I can see the labor costs being quite expensive if there is a lot of metal work and rust repair to be done. I, too, cannot afford spending that much for paint and resort to doing the bodywork and paint work myself. Both of your cars turned out great and you saved a lot of money in the process.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Milner View Post
I have always wondered how one gets $10,000 into a paint job.
It all comes down to labor and materials. Labor rates will vary depending on where you live, but in my area they're probably in the $85 to $100 per hour range; when you also factor in the cost of the paint and materials, it's not hard to reach or exceed $10,000. As anyone will tell you, the vast majority of time spent on a quality job will be in preparation, the actual painting is a small part of it. Sure, it's possible to do a good job at home (TAKerry's car is a perfect example, it looks great) but your labor is 'free'.

Old 10-28-2019, 09:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It looks great.

It comes down to body work and labor around here. If it's a scuff and shoot it's not nearly as expensive. I did my car myself because I wanted to go back to bare metal and weld in some replacement body panels. That would have cost mucho dollars if I'd hired it out.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

An inspiration and exactly what I would like to do. My first two paint jobs were scuff and paint with cheap materials and cheap tools ... but that was 30 years ago. Would like to try to do it right this time. All I'm looking for is an OEM quality paint job.

A list of the products you used would be a great help.

Old 10-28-2019, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for sharing. I've been in the bodywork phase for literally 3-4 years and finally get near the end. Your post is timely and very motivating!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 10-28-2019, 05:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have very little idea of how a body shop works, but I do understand labor cost. I own my own contracting business. I think the biggest cost with a 'pro' job is def. the labor. Like was stated at $80 + per hour it doesn't take long to get into tens of thousands of dollars. The black car was a 5 year long project, there is not a nut or bolt on that car that was not touched. Rotisserie build. I imagine if I had paid for the work it would be in excess of $50k. Although I have not calculated the actual time I had it DOES come at a cost. Everyones time is worth something whether or not its spent in the shop working on a car, or attending your kids ballgame. I have an acquaintance whom was a conservator with the Smithsonian. He made up a list of 6 simple rules for the perfect finish. He wrote it for furniture finishing but it works on cars as well, and I try to follow when I finish.
1. prepare the surface properly
2.select the correct finish materials
3.prepare the finish material correctly
4.use the right tool to apply the finish
5.use the finishing tools skillfully
6.work in the right conditions.

Old 10-28-2019, 05:22 PM

Your paint job looks very nice. My father was a furniture finisher and he taught me how to paint. Paint supply's and material is what bring the price ups and the brand of paint you use. Reds cost the most. Sometimes a pint can be over $120. Times that by gallons and clean harder etc

Old 10-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am sure I will get flack for the materials I used but they worked for me. Car has been painted for a few years now and it has held up well. I will try to list off the top of my head forgive me if im short on details.
I used rage gold for the body filler, also used a finer finishing putty/glaze as need be. I used a flex filler for repairs on the bumpers.
I used an epoxy primer from eastwood. I spray the epoxy with a cheap hvlp gun from home depot or lowes. I have used both. I think I am on the third one. They cost less than $50 and I only half @$$ clean them. Its just my laziness knowing they are pretty cheap. BUT, I have sprayed a good bit with my current one. I bought my primer, paint, and clear coat from a local store. They have a lot of body shop supplys and cater to the pro, semi pro crowd. I have gotten to know the guys pretty good and ask for their advice. They are always very helpful and full of info. I think the product is finish 1 which I believe is Sherwin Williams. I use an awaita gun for finish paint and clear. It was fairly expensive, I think around $300 or so. It is not really a pro gun but a really good hobby gun. Its great for the amount I use it. It came from a recommendation from the guys at the paint shop. There is a world of difference between that and the hd gun!! I wet sand from about 300 through 3000. I used buffing compounds in three grades with related wool pads, I will have to look in the shop for that brand. But, im not really thrilled with it. I hit the last coat with 3m polishing compound with a foam pad. Buffing is my weak point as I am not a patient person when it comes to that step. I know I should spend more time with each coat but I get bored doing that part pretty easy. Hope this helps a little.

Old 10-29-2019, 01:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be a very happy man if my paint turns out that nice.

I've had my eye on at least an Iwata LPH400-144LV or even maybe their next model up.

I'll need something that will shoot basecoat or clear.

Did you paint yours in a professional booth? Home made booth? No booth?

Old 10-29-2019, 08:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Black car I made a booth in my garage. At the time I had a boat of zip wall poles. I put up a tent around the car, set up some a bit of negative pressure with a fan blowing out of the bottom of the door. I had things sealed up pretty good. I had one spot in the paint where a mosquito got into it, but virtually no dust or grit.
Silver car was done more wild west style. It was shot in the same environment as the pic. I did not take any precautions against dust or tenting. Paint came out pretty good but it did have a lot of dust in it (go figure!). It all came out in the wet sanding though. I did have one run in the clear on the silver car and was afraid I was going to have to strip and repaint. I was able to wet sand it out though. I doubt anyone would be able to find it if I didn't show where it was.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2019-09-16_04-22-25 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-09-16_04-22-17 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-09-16_04-22-01 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
2019-09-16_04-21-53 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
Here are some of the silver parts after paint. None of these had been wet sanded when the pics were taken.

Old 10-29-2019, 09:11 AM
Suspended

I made the mistake of a high quality paint job once but I never did it again.. Frankly, I like a nice competition primer paint job.... I'm looking into satin paint colors now....

Last edited by 389; 04-25-2022 at 05:43 PM.
Old 10-29-2019, 12:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

TAKerry ... you give me hope brother

I'll probably be building a 2x4 and plastic booth attached to my shop.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Be careful of plastic overhead. It will flake or fall off into your paintjob.

Old 10-29-2019, 06:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks great!

Old 10-29-2019, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

2018-04-26_08-53-44 by Kerry Grubb, on Flickr
I like the flat look too. Here is my bike I painted about 7 or 8 years ago. Its hot rod black with a satin clear coat.