The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-30-2019, 12:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
Be careful of plastic overhead. It will flake or fall off into your paintjob.
Do you mean the over spray will dry on the plastic and then fall into the paint?

Old 10-30-2019, 08:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, I dont think I would put plastic overhead. I used plastic to tape off when I sprayed primer on the black car and yes, it dries and flakes off. I have since changed up. I get painters paper which is kinda thin from Sherwin Williams to mask everything off. Plastic on the sides of a home made tent is fine. I dont think there should be any need for plastic on the ceiling. Mine was not so much to catch overspray as much as keeping outside crap from blowing in.

Old 10-30-2019, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great Kerry!

Old 10-30-2019, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I will probably be building a temporary outside booth. I guess I could use a tarp over the top if that would be any better ... would be a normal gable style roof, like a house.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If your building something outside, def want to put a roof on. A blue tarp would be great as it has a bit of weight to it. A frame makes sense structurally. I wouldnt worry about anything sticking to it and falling into the car paint/overspray wise. I just dont think there will be that much to matter. Like I mentioned earlier, DO NOT use plastic to cover parts of the car for protection when painting. Once dry the next coat of paint will blow it all off with the pressure. With painter paper the overspray sinks into it pretty good.

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2019, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Looks great Kerry!
Thanks!

Old 10-30-2019, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjs72lemans View Post
Be careful of plastic overhead. It will flake or fall off into your paintjob.
You can’t give all the trade secrets away.....these noobies have to have a little skin in the game....

Old 10-31-2019, 01:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
If your building something outside, def want to put a roof on. A blue tarp would be great as it has a bit of weight to it. A frame makes sense structurally. I wouldnt worry about anything sticking to it and falling into the car paint/overspray wise. I just dont think there will be that much to matter. Like I mentioned earlier, DO NOT use plastic to cover parts of the car for protection when painting. Once dry the next coat of paint will blow it all off with the pressure. With painter paper the overspray sinks into it pretty good.
Thank you.
Yep I'll be building a fairly substantial frame that will need to last a few weeks outside. I'll most likely be doing the usual fenders, hood, doors, main body sort of thing.

All this hinges on test painting a fender and seeing if I like the result enough to go ahead with the whole project.

Old 10-31-2019, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
You can’t give all the trade secrets away.....these noobies have to have a little skin in the game....
I readily admit I am at the very best an amateur. I am not trying to substitute a 'garage' paint job for professional work. The biggest reason I started this thread was to show that some dummie with readily available tools can accomplish a decent paint job at home for a reasonable cost. I am sure that I have done 100 things wrong, but it works for me. I found very little 'real experience' when I painted for the first time. I read a few articles and saw a couple of videos but no one that had done it for real. I have seen your (muslcah) paint jobs on here and only wish what I did was 1/4 as good.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm the type of guy that always hopes for other people's success no matter their experience or aptitude. I'd never hope someone else fails. I've been welding my whole life, and when I see new welders with cheap equipment do well, I'm very happy for them and will try to advise them the best I can to get the best results they can. I never let my ego get in the way of the fact that some people do well enough without $20,000 in equipment and 40 years of experience. I'd never withhold information just to see someone fail, what possible satisfaction would a person get from that?

Every welder made their first weld at some point, every painter does his first paint job at some point, hopefully they have a good experience, do a good job and are happy with the result. It's what makes a community like this great.

Old 10-31-2019, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

both cars definitely look great kerry!

my friend just painted his own 78 t/a martinique blue. he has never touched a paint gun before & built his own makeshift paint booth out of 2x4 & plastic wrap. used all dupont base/clear paints. & honestly, it looks better than some "pro" paint jobs i have seen, cant find any flaws at 1-2 foot away.

i debated on spraying my cars myself too, but i know a guy with a body shop that lets me do all the prep work myself & he just sprays it in his booth. then i do the wet sanding & buffing. comes out great & saves me a lot of $$ on labor work i can do myself.

next car i think i will attempt to spray myself.

Old 10-31-2019, 02:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is definitely a lot to be said for a professional that can handle a gun, they can often compensate for less than perfect materials, conditions etc.

I have a few friends that paint ... hoping maybe I can get one to come out and look the car over before I do any final painting .... or maybe even talk them into actually shooting it

Luckily mine has a vinyl top ... there is a huge chuck of metal I don't have to worry about screwing up.

Old 10-31-2019, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
both cars definitely look great kerry!

my friend just painted his own 78 t/a martinique blue. he has never touched a paint gun before & built his own makeshift paint booth out of 2x4 & plastic wrap. used all dupont base/clear paints. & honestly, it looks better than some "pro" paint jobs i have seen, cant find any flaws at 1-2 foot away.

i debated on spraying my cars myself too, but i know a guy with a body shop that lets me do all the prep work myself & he just sprays it in his booth. then i do the wet sanding & buffing. comes out great & saves me a lot of $$ on labor work i can do myself.

next car i think i will attempt to spray myself.
I had a similar deal worked out with my black car. I was gonna do the lions share of the work and had someone lined up to put the finish coats on. The plan was for me to do all of the prep, prime, and paint finish on all of the jambs, under trunk lid etc. Once I had all of that I figured the finish paint couldn't be much worse.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

78, got the lights today, they look great! Thanks, sent you a pm.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

cool, glad they made it that fast. are they going in the 10th anniv car in the pics?

Old 11-01-2019, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes.

Old 11-01-2019, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Both cars look great! A black car for the first job is daring, but they also look thre best when done!

I've been learning how to bodywork and paint for a little bit now. I've yet to paint a complete car, but I plan on doing it. Body shops have gotten out of control around here, so learning how to do it will save huge money.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-01-2019, 01:10 PM

Kerry, I forgot you were into bikes too. That satin black is sweet!

Old 11-01-2019, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that looks great!

here's my take on paint jobs;
Most of the paint jobs applied to classics these days has finish quality taht exceeds what our cars were delivered new with... frankly, I'm fine with a "factory" paint job - I too will be driving my car.

Congrats on taking this on yourself - and the great results!!
(wanna paint my car?!)

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

HI Bob, I was at willow street yesterday and thought about you. I need to bring the 77 up one weekend.