Interior TECH Upholstery, Carpet, Dash, Headliner...

Old 05-05-2015, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '68 door armrests

Came up empty on a search. Has anyone successfully recovered the original door armrest covers on their car? I have yardage of my interior color (Pearl). I realize you can buy them but they don't fit the OEM base as nice as the OEM pad and the OEM pad had a metal core rather than the repro plastic.
I peeled off the old cover and see that it was only glued (repro staples into the plastic core) to the padded core. Would a heat gun and some patience yield acceptable results or were these vacuum formed or some other process that mere mortals cannot replicate?
Thanks.

Old 05-09-2015, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since nobody else has jumped on this..

The repops that I bought five years ago fit and looked terrible (maybe they are better now?) So I decided to give recovering the originals a shot. I didn't do the work- the guy that rebuilt and covered the seats did it.

They turned out pretty good. There is just a little bit of wrinkling on the ends but it is not noticeable unless you look closely. Different vinyls probably "work" differently so results may vary.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8222 detail.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	397221  

"The best way to show a car is to drive it"
Old 05-09-2015, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great Question. I've got repop black foam armrest installed until I know how to recover them with acceptable wrap wrinkles at the corners.

Old 05-09-2015, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From recovering my door panels and using a heat gun to pull around the corners, I can say that the material that Legendary uses gets pretty pliable when hot. It just might work. Getting ALL the wrinkles out would require the material the shrink though...so, you're probably going to have SOME wrinkles at the corners.
Actually, my armrest pads have some minor wrinkles at those corners but just at the bottom where the pads meet the plastic structure. I suspect they may have been recovered at some point.