Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 10-27-2019, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone notice at least two manifold vacuum sources connected to each other in the 3 way “T”.??

Old 10-27-2019, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELCITYFIREBIRD View Post
Anyone notice at least two manifold vacuum sources connected to each other in the 3 way “T”.??
I think those early intakes had a fitting from the upper and lower runners in the manifold and the third hose to the PCV in the rear of the lifter valley.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quite normal.

The holes that need to be plugged are at each end of the "ditch" between the front bolt holes and the front barrel holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN6788.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	523110  

Old 10-28-2019, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Tro...m#Hardstarthot

Using this method will generally allow the engine to start.

Not just an issue with the manifolds with heat; have anywhere from 3 ~ 10 callers daily with the hard starting hot issue. All makes of cars, all makes of carburetors, 1-barrel, 2-barrel, 4-barrel. Inline engines have less of these issues than "V" engines.

Carter thermoquads have less of these issues than other 4-barrels because of the thermoplastic bowl (cooler fuel). Of other 4-barrels, end bowl Holleys (air gap between manifold and bowls) seem to be next to the TQ's.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to carbking For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2019, 10:24 AM
Senior Chief

Hey carb kink

Thanks for the info . Is there anything that can be done to the stock quadrajet to help fix the problem? Also I noticed a little dribble of gas coming out of the little brass hole next to the black flat head screw (see pic) after about five minutes after I shut the motor off . Driver side only .

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Tro...m#Hardstarthot

Using this method will generally allow the engine to start.

Not just an issue with the manifolds with heat; have anywhere from 3 ~ 10 callers daily with the hard starting hot issue. All makes of cars, all makes of carburetors, 1-barrel, 2-barrel, 4-barrel. Inline engines have less of these issues than "V" engines.

Carter thermoquads have less of these issues than other 4-barrels because of the thermoplastic bowl (cooler fuel). Of other 4-barrels, end bowl Holleys (air gap between manifold and bowls) seem to be next to the TQ's.

Jon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E18F1958-9003-44FB-98F0-5F576FD4419A.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	523120  

Old 10-28-2019, 11:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gto19 View Post
Hey carb kink

Thanks for the info . Is there anything that can be done to the stock quadrajet to help fix the problem? Also I noticed a little dribble of gas coming out of the little brass hole next to the black flat head screw (see pic) after about five minutes after I shut the motor off . Driver side only .
A three line filter placed right at the inlet to the carburetor, with the third (return) line routed to the top of the fuel tank will minimize the issue, generally solving the issue.

A phenolic spacer under the carb may (or may not) help this issue, but might help hot city driveability.

Most important - vote!

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:36 PM

Hi . i live in North Australia and it is always hot , i have a 389 tri power and a 389 Carter AFB . and have trouble with hot starting also , the carter can be seen shooting fuel out after parking , as yet i have not found a carb heat spacer to fit this this stock motor ,the exhaust cross over on this car is blocked with a freeze plug as these holes are round , we can buy 98 fuel at the pump .. the tri power car also has the exhaust cross over blocked and has heat spacers under the carbs ,but i suspect the float level would be better a bit lower . i am sure both cars have to much fuel in the engine after a few minutes being parked when hot . good luck .

Old 10-31-2019, 02:06 AM

On a side note, is there anyway to stop the paint from burning on the heat crossover on the intake?

Old 10-31-2019, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pain wise what I do is first coat the heads Exh port tops and the Intake Exh crossover area with a high heat silver header paint, let that dry fully and then top coat it with your color.

The color paint will still burn off, but the area will not rust up so you can just touch up those areas.

Just not that to have even the high heat paint work right these areas need to be clean bare cast iron.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 10-31-2019, 06:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 11-01-2019, 05:26 AM

on the 389 the ports are round so with a little effort with a die grinder i fitted stainless freeze plugs , can be fitted in the head .either or ,, and it does stop the paint burning off the intake .