Old 11-29-2015, 06:06 PM

Default 1969 Grand Prix electrical fluctuation / Space Saver spare photos request.

Hello GP enthusiasts!

I have a question and request. Anyone have a GP who's electrical system fluctuates/oscillates? This is most apparent when cold then dissipates once warm but is still present. Also photos of how a Space Save spare is stowed, mounting brackets and trunk decals?

Thanks!
Alex

Old 11-29-2015, 08:22 PM

Default fluctuates

have alternator diodes checked , tension on belt, battery post connections and ground straps.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:35 PM

Hmm . . probably the diodes then. All other related items you mentioned are good. Thanks for the response!

Alex

Old 11-30-2015, 12:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Hi

I have the 69 GP SJ space saver tire and brackets and parts ...

it goes in the left /drivers quarter panel ...

I should have taken pictures before I pulled it out...the car is gone now ..

I think I have pictures of it before I stashed it this summer in the shed...

Scott

Old 11-30-2015, 01:40 AM

Yeah, I would like to have a look at the photos when you find them.

Thanks for the response!
Alex

Old 11-30-2015, 03:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default space saver

from the trunk of a 69 Grand Prix

Scott
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PB290039.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	414539   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB290045.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	414540   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB290042.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	414541   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB290046.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	414542   Click image for larger version

Name:	PB290047.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	414543  

Old 11-30-2015, 12:55 PM

Received,

Thank you!
Alex

Old 12-01-2015, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Scott,

I'd be interested to buy or borrow the hardware brackets from that spacesaver. One of the businesses that I'm invested in is a laser cutting and forming business. We have a reverse engineering table so it would be fun to map them out and fabricate a few. Never enough demand to make any money, just for fun.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
Old 12-21-2015, 06:08 PM

Thanks for the photo reference!

Here is my example of Space Saver spare storage. Already had the jack mast holster at the bottom, upper perch and threaded rod eyelet plate mounted in place. I used some flat stock and pipe to design the inflator bottle retainer bracket. I am not certain that's how this bracket was from the factory, but it is believable. The tire iron between the mast and spare also provides excellent stability.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5365-ss spare.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	416214   Click image for larger version

Name:	8624-ss-spare.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	416215   Click image for larger version

Name:	1799-sss-bracket.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	416216   Click image for larger version

Name:	4827-sss-bracket.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	416217  

Old 12-21-2015, 11:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patina Tiger View Post
Thanks for the photo reference!

Here is my example of Space Saver spare storage. Already had the jack mast holster at the bottom, upper perch and threaded rod eyelet plate mounted in place. I used some flat stock and pipe to design the inflator bottle retainer bracket. I am not certain that's how this bracket was from the factory, but it is believable. The tire iron between the mast and spare also provides excellent stability.
Back in about 1986 I purchased a non-running 69 SJ parts car from the late Tom Dalton in Clifton Heights, PA. It had the space saver spare tire option. Behind the spare there was a rectangle shaped black pad or accoustical material that was adhesively attached to the inside of the left quarter panel. Can't remember if anything came in contact with it. Don't believe it could be seen when the space saver was in place. Do remember that the left side trunk cardboard panel wasn't there because of the space saver option. Right side was in place. Only GP I ever saw the pad used on and the only GP I ever saw the space saver option on. Could the pad be part of the space saver spare option package?

Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 AM

Hmmm . . Not sure. I did find a set of trunk trim panels in my car as you described. I will have to see if there is a slot in the LH panel to slip around the thread stock. There are a few finishing screws along the trunk floor flange that may have secured these panels in place. I'll photo and post in the next reply.

Thanks!
Alex

Old 12-22-2015, 10:47 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Hmmm . . Not sure. I did find a set of trunk trim panels in my car as you described. I will have to see if there is a slot in the LH panel to slip around the thread stock. There are a few finishing screws along the trunk floor flange that may have secured these panels in place. I'll photo and post in the next reply.

Thanks!
Alex
Another thought. While the space saver spare was stored standing up in the left quarter panel when not in use was there a provision for storing a full size road wheel when it was in the trunk and the space saver was in use? When there was no space saver option the full size spare and road wheel would each store on the trunk floor and be retained with the same hold-down threaded rod. Was the threaded rod for the space saver also used to hold down a full size road wheel to the trunk floor?

Old 12-23-2015, 03:45 PM

Default Trunk Partitions & Floor Loop for spare

I think when you ordered the Space Saver spare, that was all you got and no floor loop for a road tire. The loop on my floor is cut, from the factory?

The floor hook's threaded portion is straight, several inches long and the wheel is face down with the jack foot used as centering clamp.

Here are the trunk partitions I found in my vehicle. I pulled the felt then soaked them with water to lay flat. Not sure if these are correct? They somewhat fit, but not really.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3484-trunk-partitions.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	416338   Click image for larger version

Name:	3950-GP-trunk-partitions.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	416339   Click image for larger version

Name:	9338-floor-loop.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	416340  

Old 12-23-2015, 08:38 PM
Senior Chief

I bought my 69 GP (model J) back in 1973 and it didn't have side trunk panels like yours. Mine were just a dark gray or charcoal cardboard that only covered the opening in the quarter panels. There wasn't any felt type material and there wasn't any material or cardboard that covered the wheelhouse. Panels were attached along the bottom with screws. After years of use they were looking shabby so I bought a set of what Ames said were exact replacements. While they fit somewhat like my originals they were not the correct material. If it matters my GP was an October 1968 build. The panels I found in the SJ parts car that had the space saver had only a right side and it looked just like my originals. Just curious as to when your GP was built. If later could there have been a running change in production where later cars got nicer panels like yours? Could your panels have come from another year GP like 71 or 72?

For what it's worth I recently contacted OPGI and they are sellling what I call "incorrrect panels". They sent me a sample of there material and it's not correct. Still looking for someone that makes the real thing.

In the meantime are there any 69-72 GP owners out there that can let us know what your trunk panels look like?

Last edited by 1969GiPper; 12-23-2015 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up So...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969GiPper View Post
I bought my 69 GP (model J) back in 1973 and it didn't have side trunk panels like yours. Mine were just a dark gray or charcoal cardboard that only covered the opening in the quarter panels. There wasn't any felt type material and there wasn't any material or cardboard that covered the wheelhouse. Panels were attached along the bottom with screws. After years of use they were looking shabby so I bought a set of what Ames said were exact replacements. While they fit somewhat like my originals they were not the correct material. If it matters my GP was an October 1968 build. The panels I found in the SJ parts car that had the space saver had only a right side and it looked just like my originals. Just curious as to when your GP was built. If later could there have been a running change in production where later cars got nicer panels like yours? Could your panels have come from another year GP like 71 or 72?

For what it's worth I recently contacted OPGI and they are sellling what I call "incorrrect panels". They sent me a sample of there material and it's not correct. Still looking for someone that makes the real thing.

In the meantime are there any 69-72 GP owners out there that can let us know what your trunk panels look like?

is there a way you could send a decent pic of one of your originals to my e/m address? I'm about to go thru several 40 year+ collections of Pontiac parts helping some friends whose priorities have changed. If I know what I'm looking at it would be a plus for everyone involved. Thanks. I've always loved GP's from our '63 to our '67 and my '69 4-speed/air to the 'triple-black '76 SJ that I waited 8 years for my Mother to finally sell to me. She finally got tired of guys following her home from work wanting to buy the car. How often does that happen nowadays? jegstek@netscape.net

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 12-30-2015, 07:37 PM

Quote:
I think when you ordered the Space Saver spare, that was all you got and no floor loop for a road tire. The loop on my floor is cut, from the factory?

The floor hook's threaded portion is straight, several inches long and the wheel is face down with the jack foot used as centering clamp.

Here are the trunk partitions I found in my vehicle. I pulled the felt then soaked them with water to lay flat. Not sure if these are correct? They somewhat fit, but not really.
I saw this thread a few days ago and decided to look at my 69 GP trunk floor that has the space saver tire option. I thought that with simplicity in mind that all trunk floors probably had the road tire "floor loop". Then I thought I've been in that trunk so many times and I've never seen the "L" shaped piece of metal that all other trunks have to keep the long jack from moving around. To my surprise when I pulled the carpet back = no floor loop + no "L" shape!! I took some photos I will try to attach, My trunk does have the "jack mast holder" and the "upper perch" and a "lower perch" where the jack rests in the lower part of the qtr panel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0063.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	416949   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0062.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	416950  

Old 12-30-2015, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Back in about 1986 I purchased a non-running 69 SJ parts car from the late Tom Dalton in Clifton Heights, PA. It had the space saver spare tire option. Behind the spare there was a rectangle shaped black pad or accoustical material that was adhesively attached to the inside of the left quarter panel. Can't remember if anything came in contact with it. Don't believe it could be seen when the space saver was in place. Do remember that the left side trunk cardboard panel wasn't there because of the space saver option. Right side was in place. Only GP I ever saw the pad used on and the only GP I ever saw the space saver option on. Could the pad be part of the space saver spare option package?
This thread sparked my curiosity and you never know what you may learn about these cars. I took some pics today of my space saver and did not see a rectangle shaped black pad - perhaps this was something a previous owner put in for protection or to limit vibration? My previous owner used a foam pad at the bottom "perch" and I have kept it in place. Here are a few photos for reference - I believe this car to be original (except for the foam)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0065.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	416959   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0068.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	416960   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0069.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	416961   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0083.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	416962   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0084.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	416963  

Old 12-31-2015, 11:24 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRGPHO View Post
This thread sparked my curiosity and you never know what you may learn about these cars. I took some pics today of my space saver and did not see a rectangle shaped black pad - perhaps this was something a previous owner put in for protection or to limit vibration? My previous owner used a foam pad at the bottom "perch" and I have kept it in place. Here are a few photos for reference - I believe this car to be original (except for the foam)

Do you have the trunk right side quarter trim panel and if yes can you supply a picture? Is it the original panel? If I can find it I'll supply a picture of that rectangle shaped black pad.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:36 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Landis View Post
is there a way you could send a decent pic of one of your originals to my e/m address? I'm about to go thru several 40 year+ collections of Pontiac parts helping some friends whose priorities have changed. If I know what I'm looking at it would be a plus for everyone involved. Thanks. I've always loved GP's from our '63 to our '67 and my '69 4-speed/air to the 'triple-black '76 SJ that I waited 8 years for my Mother to finally sell to me. She finally got tired of guys following her home from work wanting to buy the car. How often does that happen nowadays? jegstek@netscape.net
Sorry, my original trunk side panels got tossed years ago. All I have now are the replacement panels that I purchased from Ames. While they may be close to the correct shape the material is completely wrong. They only cover the opening in each quarter panel and do not cover the wheelhouses or go around them.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Do you have the trunk right side quarter trim panel and if yes can you supply a picture? Is it the original panel? If I can find it I'll supply a picture of that rectangle shaped black pad.
This car did not have the right side panel when I got it but I did find a left side and a right side from a previous car in the garage. They are mirrors of each other. Will attach pics. Here are measurements as best I can tell. Width at widest place = 29.5 width at bottom of top flap = 21.5 width at top of top flap = 10.25 Height (unfolded) top to bottom = 26.5 Top flap = 10 inches height. Base = 16.5 inches tall. Side facing qtr panel = tan, side facing trunk = dark green.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0098.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	417034   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0100.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	417035   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0103.jpg
Views:	37