Old 09-11-2016, 02:49 AM

Default Replacing Motor for Power Window

I need to replace a power window motor on my 76 GP. The glass is stuck in the low position. Before rolling up the window I need to replace the "fuzzie", glass channel weather strip.

The problem is I can't move the window an inch. It seems to be locked in place by the dead motor.

The Fischer body manual instructs to roll up the window before replacing the motor. How can I do that when the motor doesn't work?

Thanks for any help.
/Hans

Old 09-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever you do you NEED TO BE VERY careful!!! The regulators on all GM cars (power window cars included) are made with a very large counterbalance spring wrapped around the central pivot. The Torque of the motor is supplemented by the assist of this spring when you go to raise the glass. The spring gets "wound" tightly on the way down and "unwinds" when you push the switch for the glass to go up. The glass on those cars is fairly large and heavy.

In a case with a stuck motor.

I would try 2 things, first see if you can bump the motor or give it a little tap using a hammer and a block of wood or large screwdriver. While depressing the switch try and "bump" the motor into action. The brushes may be stuck and vibration could get it to move, at least a little. If the armature is seized in one of the bushings then you have no choice but to unbolt the motor from the regulator while in the car.

With the glass in the down position you have no real room to maneuver your wrench which is why the shop manual says "up position."

Some GM cars from that era come with 3 dimples in the metal which are center-lines for a drill. The shop manual tells you to use a hole-saw & drill those 3 holes in the door to access the bolts. You would need to put up a photo of your car's inner door with all the trim removed for me to see.

With the glass up position you need to block the glass using pieces of wood inside the door or a big screwdriver (or 2) so that your glass doesn't drop suddenly into the door once you remove the motor.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:43 PM

Thanks Peter,

I will follow your advice and see how far I get. I read the instructions in the Fischer manual and it seems the 1976 G-body (A-57) is the only one where you don't have to drill the holes. There are templates where to drill for the other styles.

/Hans

Old 09-11-2016, 11:46 PM

I replaced the fuzzies, and loosened the felt supports for the window, re-installed the battery and tested to roll up the power window. It turned out the motor was OK and the window started to roll up.

However, something was still wrong I couldn't get the window in the correct position when rolled up. When I carefully rolled the window slightly up and down, the guide pin from the window to the guide track popped out from its plastic "wheel" running in the guide track.

On touch I noticed that all lubricants felt more than glue than lubricant. Apparantly, white lithium grease will be suitable to treat the mechanism.

I hope to be able to pop the guide pin back into the plastic wheel in the guide track. (Replacement parts?)

The door has a large dent in the just below the rear view mirror. I wonder if this could have had anything to do with the window problems.

Any suggestions how to go about this, or where to find replacement parts. Please let me know. It's a 76 Grand prix.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:08 AM
Suspended

I you have a dent in the door at that position it may be pushing on the guide & pushing on the window which is keeping pressure on it making it hard for it to go up or down. I would try to push the dent out some to help relieve some of the pressure on the window track & frame.