Old 02-14-2020, 06:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default one more i am looking at 81 turbo

nice clean car, fully loaded it has 4 wheel disc brakes ,does this mean that it is a ws6 . looked at the front sway bar and it seems to be the larger one
any feed back

Old 02-15-2020, 10:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

WS6 has 4 wheel discs as part of the package, but 4 wheel discs were available separately, without WS6 too, with code J65. So, you could have 4 wheel discs without having WS6.

Plus, I've read that it's likely that all Turbo Trans Ams came with 4 wheel discs, whether the car had WS6 or not. So, that's another case where having 4 wheel discs doesn't necessarily mean the car has WS6.

The front sway bars are all the same size, 1.25", so it's not larger than any other. The rear sway bar is the one that's normally larger with WS6 being 3/4" compared to 5/8" for standard. That would be another clue to whether it's WS6 or not.

I read a recent post where I believe somebody said they found a 5/8 rear bar on a WS6 81, instead of a 3/4 rear bar. That might have been a case of them thinking it was a WS6 car due to 4 wheel discs, when it could've just had the J65 option without WS6.

Another visual clue to WS6 is 2 extra braces installed on the front lower control arm mounting points, like in this picture:

WS6 braces a by grand73am, on Flickr

Last edited by Grand73Am; 02-15-2020 at 10:18 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

not 100% sure but i think i read all turbo t/a's were ws6 optioned. i know all 80/81 turbo pace cars were.

Old 02-15-2020, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't personally know either, but this is what Hogshead said on his "build sheet bingo" page, which insinuates that not all TTA's had WS6:

4-wheel disc brakes became available in 1979. These were part of the WS6 package, but were also available separately. My observation has been that all Turbo Trans Ams were made with 4 wheel disk whether they had WS6 or not.

Old 02-15-2020, 12:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
I don't personally know either, but this is what Hogshead said on his "build sheet bingo" page, which insinuates that not all TTA's had WS6:

4-wheel disc brakes became available in 1979. These were part of the WS6 package, but were also available separately. My observation has been that all Turbo Trans Ams were made with 4 wheel disk whether they had WS6 or not.
good to know. probably safer to say "most" tta's were ws6.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78w72 View Post
good to know. probably safer to say "most" tta's were ws6.
just made the deal for the car will post photos soon

Old 02-15-2020, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Ok!!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-16-2020, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

here is a photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2717 (002).jpg
Views:	93
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	532097  

Old 02-16-2020, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

nice looking TTA.

i see the notorious black carbon spots from running rich under the tail pipes... you will have some tuning to do or possibly a carb rebuild in the near future.

Old 02-16-2020, 11:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
nice looking TTA.

i see the notorious black carbon spots from running rich under the tail pipes... you will have some tuning to do or possibly a carb rebuild in the near future.
yes that is what i am thinking also . what souls i do for the tuning , or what should i check for

Old 02-16-2020, 12:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Good looking car.

I'd drive it as it is right now. The car might not have been driven much before, and when it was, it might have been just short trips that didn't really heat up the engine enough to burn off the carbon. The black exhaust might clean up with time on the road and the engine more thoroughly heated up.

If it doesn't, you can always look more into it then.

Before driving it more, I'd do a fresh oil and filter change.

Old 02-16-2020, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grd777 View Post
yes that is what i am thinking also . what souls i do for the tuning , or what should i check for
the 81's computer system is somewhat difficult to tune or get everything set right. i would suggest getting a 1981 GM manual & read up on the CCC system to get familiar with it. first things to check are for any trouble codes like rich/lean codes etc. that will help identify any bad or malfunctioning parts such as the O2, TPS sensors or bad carb mix solenoid. also a big thing is to check the choke operation, the original choke elements can go bad after 40 years & not pull off the choke which will cause it to run rich. also check all vac lines. reading the gm manual & following the trouble code chart should get it running better. & definitely check out the 301 garage forums for all the info & help you will need for these 301T cars. i own a 81 pace car & have done a lot of tuning & a full restoration so if you have any questions let me know or check out 301g.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grand73Am View Post
Good looking car.

I'd drive it as it is right now. The car might not have been driven much before, and when it was, it might have been just short trips that didn't really heat up the engine enough to burn off the carbon. The black exhaust might clean up with time on the road and the engine more thoroughly heated up.

If it doesn't, you can always look more into it then.

Before driving it more, I'd do a fresh oil and filter change.
the 81 CCC system is notorious for having issues & running rich, very few mechanics back in the day or today know how to work on these cars & many made matters worse by messing stuff up of bypassing thins they didnt understand. i agree to drive it as is for a bit to get a baseline & be familiar with how it runs. but those black carbon spots are very common for these 81 cars & likely is not from the engine not being heated up. its probably a bad or incorrectly adjusted choke, if thats not it, its a bad or not set right sensor. or with todays ethanol fuel & the carb not rebuilt with modern parts etc.

cant hurt to start with a oil change & long drive & maybe a good seafoam treatment to help remove the carbon build up. then check/replace the plugs too. & for the oil, especially being in canada if you drive it in cold temps, i would use a good 10/30 synthetic oil for the turbo heat... doesnt need any crazy high zddp oils since the cam is so small & fully broken in.

Old 02-16-2020, 03:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You mention a "Seafoam" treatment. Does it actually do anything for cars?

Old 02-16-2020, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
the 81's computer system is somewhat difficult to tune or get everything set right. i would suggest getting a 1981 GM manual & read up on the CCC system to get familiar with it. first things to check are for any trouble codes like rich/lean codes etc. that will help identify any bad or malfunctioning parts such as the O2, TPS sensors or bad carb mix solenoid. also a big thing is to check the choke operation, the original choke elements can go bad after 40 years & not pull off the choke which will cause it to run rich. also check all vac lines. reading the gm manual & following the trouble code chart should get it running better. & definitely check out the 301 garage forums for all the info & help you will need for these 301T cars. i own a 81 pace car & have done a lot of tuning & a full restoration so if you have any questions let me know or check out 301g.

the 81 CCC system is notorious for having issues & running rich, very few mechanics back in the day or today know how to work on these cars & many made matters worse by messing stuff up of bypassing thins they didnt understand. i agree to drive it as is for a bit to get a baseline & be familiar with how it runs. but those black carbon spots are very common for these 81 cars & likely is not from the engine not being heated up. its probably a bad or incorrectly adjusted choke, if thats not it, its a bad or not set right sensor. or with todays ethanol fuel & the carb not rebuilt with modern parts etc.

cant hurt to start with a oil change & long drive & maybe a good seafoam treatment to help remove the carbon build up. then check/replace the plugs too. & for the oil, especially being in canada if you drive it in cold temps, i would use a good 10/30 synthetic oil for the turbo heat... doesnt need any crazy high zddp oils since the cam is so small & fully broken in.

i just noticed the vac lines off the air cleaner are disconnected and go nowhere

Old 02-16-2020, 05:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by red1975pacer View Post
You mention a "Seafoam" treatment. Does it actually do anything for cars?
its debatable how much it actually helps, but its similar to GM's top engine cleaner thats been used for decades so i think it would help some. ive used it for physically cleaning built up carbon film on tops of pistons & chambers of heads, it was one of the few chemicals that would touch the stuff & worked the best over even lacquer thinner or mineral spirits etc.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
i just noticed the vac lines off the air cleaner are disconnected and go nowhere
should be a vac diagram sticker on the core support.. or get a manual, you will need it. post a pic of the engine bay if you can.

Old 02-16-2020, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
should be a vac diagram sticker on the core support.. or get a manual, you will need it. post a pic of the engine bay if you can.
will do

Old 02-17-2020, 12:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
will do
here u go
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2737 (002).jpg
Views:	77
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	532222  

Old 02-17-2020, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
here u go
since you confirmed its a canada sold car, dont need pic of the distributor...

id like to see the front area of the engine/intake with the air cleaner off to confirm it has the very important PEVR valve, which controls the fuel enrichment when under boost. lots of times these got broken or removed & will cause all kinds of problems.

& a pic or test the choke housing 12v wire.

Old 02-17-2020, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
since you confirmed its a canada sold car, dont need pic of the distributor...

id like to see the front area of the engine/intake with the air cleaner off to confirm it has the very important PEVR valve, which controls the fuel enrichment when under boost. lots of times these got broken or removed & will cause all kinds of problems.

& a pic or test the choke housing 12v wire.
i post photos on my other post , let me know what you think