Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Do dealers buy cars from private parties?

Ive got a car Ive been trying to sell but no luck yet. Its a 2003 suburban in great shape. Im paying on this car monthly and dont need it anymore. Either way its going to cost me when someone buys it because I owe a bit more than what Kelly blue books shows for value of car.
Will a dealership buy these back??? I know if they did it would be for a much lower price I could get from private party. I just hate having to make my payments and insurance etc for something I dont drive.

Old 06-12-2007, 07:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

yes they will, but right now you and many others have a gas problem, so at an dealer auction the suvs are everywere so the price of your truck is very low, so they really don't need your truck. I don't no about CA but here in MD we have a co. called CARMAX they buy cars and trucks from the public

Old 06-12-2007, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I was able to sell my '02 extended cab s10 to a dealer before we left Texas.I inherited my moms '03 Impala when she passed away so we had the s10,Impala and my wifes '00 Prizm.The truck was the only one we had payments on and I really liked the Impala(didn't think I would)so it had to go.
I looked up the Kelley blue book for trade in value which was 7,000,the truck only had 62,xxx miles,so I was hoping for 6k.The first dealership treated me like a redheaded stepchild and offered $4,500,I bit my lip and left.The next dealership treated me VERY nice and offered $6,800,I almost fainted and asked again to be sure.They had the paperwork and my check for the difference in 20 minutes!
Just be willing to take the vehicle to several places and know what its worth

Old 06-12-2007, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any dealer will buy your truck. And like said before, they wont give you much for it at all. As a matter of fact, they'll probibly lowball you or try to steal it. All trucks are really cheap right now for obvious reasons.

If I were you, Id throw out the KBB because it isnt worth the paper its printed on when determining used car values. The values are set by the autcion houses and based on whet they sell for in your region for that week. The most acurate book (and what a used car manager will have handy at all times and pays a lot of money to get) is The Black book. Its as acurate as your gonna get. Unless you have access to the Manheim auctions website, Id try and lower the price a bit in the paper before you are floored at what the dealer may offer you.

You either make a lot of money in the car biz or you starve.

Old 06-12-2007, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgto
Ive got a car Ive been trying to sell but no luck yet. Its a 2003 suburban in great shape. Im paying on this car monthly and dont need it anymore. Either way its going to cost me when someone buys it because I owe a bit more than what Kelly blue books shows for value of car.
Will a dealership buy these back??? I know if they did it would be for a much lower price I could get from private party. I just hate having to make my payments and insurance etc for something I dont drive.
Sure, how do you think they get the cars on their used car lots? They take most of them in on trade, which is the same thing as buying them back from the people who are buying something else. But as others have posted, you have to remember all the variables of the market. Just a few years ago, a used Suburban was a hot commodity! Now it is probably a cold turd due to the gas prices. You also have to remember that the dealership is in business to make money, and not just a little. The mark up on a used 03 Suburban on a new car dealerships lot is in the 3-5k range, AFTER reconditioning. So, if you see a dealership advertising one for say 18k retail, and recon could be up to 1k on a Suburban, you can figure an offer of around 12k. Now that price is completely hypothetical, I have no idea of the value of your truck. Just giving you a formula to go by. I was a sales manager at a new GM dealership for 3 years before I retired.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-13-2007, 11:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

you can try to take it to some dealers and get a ball park figure of what there going to give you

Old 06-13-2007, 02:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wouldnt try a dealer...they will give you less than a trade for it, probably less than 'wholesale'...better sell on craigslist...figure out by NADA book and Kelly book what "trade" is , and you`ll know what to ask for it,if you want to sell, quick...

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey Bjorn, what's a more accurate source of pricing, KBB or Edmund's?

George

Old 06-13-2007, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski
Hey Bjorn, what's a more accurate source of pricing, KBB or Edmund's?

George
couldnt tell you, Edmunds I`m not familiar with...but never thought Kellys was even "close"...I always thought NADA`s book was best

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 06-13-2007, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Edmunds seem to be more reasonable in their pricing; KBB seems high.

www.edmunds.com

George

Old 06-13-2007, 04:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you walk into a dealer with either of those books in this situation, they'll laugh at you. Theyre not even close.

Old 06-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dealers use Galves around here - lowest of all the blue books.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978