Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Can you split a High Def signal?

I want to go back to DirecTv. I had it for years and what I did was split the signal after the receiver...to separarate TV's. I couldn't watch multi channels, but I had an RF remote so I could change chanels where ever in the house. So...

With the new tech, I have heard that you can't do this with the newer receivers? Is this true? If It's high def, can I split that signal and still be in high def?

Thanks a pant load,
Pat

Old 06-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Senior Chief

I asked that at the T.V. store the other day and the salesperson said yes. Don`t know if he was full of crap or not.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure, as long as it's still a RF signal coming from the receiver box, meaning you still use coax cable to connect to your TV's.

George

Old 06-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Senior Chief

But to make it true HD out of the box I would think you really need to use the HDMI port and an HDMI cable.

Old 06-14-2007, 03:15 PM

You do need to use the HDMI port and cable out of your Directv receiver for true hi-def. My receiver has two HDMI ports. HDMI cables come in fixed lengths, I think up to 12 feet. You may be able to build one longer if necessary.

"Those that would give up essential liberty in pursuit of a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."
Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-14-2007, 03:26 PM

Yes you can split HD after the receiver. The best way would be with an hdmi splitter. It can be expensive though depending on the length of cable you need. You could also split it with a DVI splitter or a component splitter and run RCA cable for sound. I think it would be cheaper and easier to just get another HD receiver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB
I want to go back to DirecTv. I had it for years and what I did was split the signal after the receiver...to separarate TV's. I couldn't watch multi channels, but I had an RF remote so I could change chanels where ever in the house. So...

With the new tech, I have heard that you can't do this with the newer receivers? Is this true? If It's high def, can I split that signal and still be in high def?

Thanks a pant load,
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hdmi splitter.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	94533  

Old 06-14-2007, 03:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can split HD.

go here: www.cablestogo.com

They offer boxes with 4-8 outputs, I bought one and installed it for a friend. Works great.

Make your own cables by buying RG6 75 ohm cable and installing RCA connectors on the end. With RG6 you run the signal a 100 feet.

HDMI cables WILL produce a clearer signal on lower analog channels. The component cables will split and recombine the lower analog channels, on an all digital simulcast, probably no difference.