Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:08 PM
Suspended

Default Flat tires on walk behind mower.

I keep getting roofing nails and glass punctures in my tubeless mower tires. Does anybody have a solution to recommend? I've looked into foam, but the cost was $25 per tire. I've plugged some holes but they don't work for the life of the tire.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try some slime. It's bright green and you can put that in your tires. I did it on my lawn mower with a slow leak. Worked great for me.

Old 06-09-2007, 12:56 PM
Suspended

Walmart sels a yellow version of slime for half the cost and it works just as good. I put it in my tractor and atv tires.

Old 06-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Suspended

Thanks guys. I'm not looking for something like that stuff. I run over nails all the time which might work, but glass isn't going to work well with slime. I don't want to deal with Slime when it comes time to change tires.

Old 06-10-2007, 12:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

UMMM mabey im missing something here. but, how often do you plan on changing the tires?? You were looking at foaming them. you went going to change them after that. Id just use the slime and be done with them. Ive had good results with the the blue slime type stuff as well. p.s. that slime stuff will work for your glass punctures as well. they make one that will seal holes up to 5/16" round.

my cars
Old 06-10-2007, 07:07 AM
Suspended

I never use slime on my road vehicles, but for a tractor or ATV, it's a perfect cheap way to shore up your tires.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Eh ok, maybe the slime is better than I think it is. I just didin't think it would seal a glass puncture well. I know it didn't work well in the tire store for cars--but they have a lot of weight and heat that a mower wouldn't. The foam is permanent and you never have to question it even if you get another puncture--I figured I'd put a tube in for the foam, that is if I could get past the price.

Okay, you've convince me. But if I'm not satisfied, someone's getting their pay docked.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Senior Chief

A tire repair kit would work. Like the ones that have the tar covered rope seal. Since the tires are not used for high speed performance use, you could successfully plug and unlimited amount of holes if repair performed properly.

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/autokits.htm

Comes with 30 plugs...and $41 is cheaper than 4 repairs and time saved R&R of the tire.

A patch kit will work for the glass.

http://www.safetyseal.com/store/safetyplusrefill.htm

Old 06-14-2007, 08:19 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Pontiac1976 Send a message via AIM to Pontiac1976 Send a message via Yahoo to Pontiac1976

Gee 41 must be for the case pretty look. you could get the cheap sear, walmart, auto zone, pet boys around $8 -12 then just buy the plugs from a supplyer in 50 packs $15-18. I just guessing on the prices should be cheaper then up up north.