Old 11-22-2015, 06:29 PM

Default 1962 Bonneville 2DR - 'Bonnelina' in Virginia

I have decided to ditch my custom 1962 Bonneville 2Dr Hardtop project. 389/4BBL/Dual Exhaust - 4SPD Auto - 3.23 Posi

Finished, this would be 'one of one' as it has a Catalina tail panel welded into it, which basicaly makes it a stretched Catalina (hence the 'Bonnelina' in the title)

This is a project that was supposed to end up a really nicely sorted driver car, which I really gave up on about 2 years ago. I have decided to get my GTO on the road, and need the funds to make that happen.

This is an insanely good deal and a great winter project. I have about $15,000 into this car, and could part it out for a good chunk of money. I'm not interested in that, so my loss can be someone else's gain.

The car needs a lot of reassembly, but the majority of what is needed to finish the car is there.

Here is what I can recall that has been done to it:

Brakes:

New Master Cylinder
New Front Drums
New Front Wheel Cylinders
New Front Shoes and Hardware
New Front Brake Hoses
New Front Wheel Bearings and Seals
New Wheel Studs and LugNuts
New Rear Brake Hose
New Rear Wheel Cylinders
New Rear Shoes and Hardware

Suspension:

New Front Control Arm Bushings
New Upper Ball Joints
New Lower Ball Joints
New Front Coil Springs
New Front Shocks
New Rear Coil Springs
New Rear Shocks
New Quick Ratio Steering Box (not installed)
Rear Stabilizer Brackets (not installed)

Drivetrain:

Tuneup (plugs, wires, etc)
Transmission Service (including steel filter, fluid, rear seal, etc)
New Rebuilt 3.23 posi
New Axle Bearings and Seals
New Dual Exhaust

Body:

New Front Windshield and Seal
New Rear Windshield Seal (installed)
New Vent Window Glass and Seals (not installed)
New Door Window Glass, Seals, and Window frames (not installed)
Newly Rechromed Rear Bumper (not installed)
New Rear Body Mounts
New Trunk Pans (needs some finishing)
Extra Excellent Straight Front Bumper (not installed)

Interior:

New White Headliner (not installed)
New White Sunvisors (not installed)
New Custom Red/White Door Panels (not installed)
New Custom Red/White Seat Covers (not installed)
New Seat Foam - Front and Rear (not installed)

Other:

New Gas Tank
New Tires (215/70/15) on Dodge rims w/ Pontiac Dog Dish Caps
New California Car Company Cover
New Rebuilt Conversion Radio (Mike Hagan)
Factory Manuals
Battery (but it's 2 years old now)
Extra Rebuilt 1962 389 Engine

What's Missing?

Carpet
Package Tray
Kick Panels
Rear Upper Seat Frame (need a non-Bonneville one)

So here is a lot more detail - if you got through the list above...

The car will start and drive (or at least did when I parked it last year) Original 389 is still in it and runs well. It needs a carb rebuild. Currently has a crap Edelbrock on it, but I have correct AFB(s) and a kit. The big 4SPD auto (not the Catalina/GP 3spd) works great, and has just been serviced. The rear is all new, and is an original 3.23 Olds/Pontiac 9.3 posi rear. It also has a really funky, but new dual exhaust that sounds great. The gas tank is brand new as well, so no rust in the fuel system.

It has a mediocre black paint job on it, that looks good from several feet away. I actually paid two different people to paint this thing, and they both did less that satisfactory work. The car had been hit in the rear, which crunched the LH rear taillight area. We decided to clip in a Catalina tail panel, which turned out decent (not perfect, but it's a driver). I have one and a half sets of Catalina side trim. The intention is to weld up a longer set so that the stock Catalina trim fits the car. The floors are good in the car (it was a California car for most of its life). It has new rear body mounts welded into it, with new rubbers and hardware. Trunk pans from Pontiac Paridise have also been installed with a combination of screws and welding. There is still some patch work needed there for completion.

I had a custom red/white interior made by Ciadella Interiors. It is patterned after a 1961 Impala set, but all in vinyl. The doors are patterned after a 1962 Biscaine and are fully assembled on the original metal frames, and ready to install. I have over $2,000 alone in just the door panels, seat covers, and the seat foam. You will need to get a non-Bonneville rear upper seat frame, as I did not want the arm rest. I also have a ready to install headliner and complete new sunvisors in white. The radio is the original, which has modern guts in it as done by Mike Hagen (at a cost of over $500). I have a front speaker that is stereo as well.

The suspension and steering, brakes and whatnot are all sorted. Pretty much everything. The seal on the original steering box is shot, so I bought a rebuilt quick ratio one, that needs to be installed.

One of the big bits that needs to be done is the windows and seals. Currently, it has no side windows at all. Everything is there to finish it, including new glass for the doors and vents, plus the seals. It even has brand new door window frames. The windshields have both been recently installed, with the front glass being new.

Also included is an extra rebuilt 1962 389. It has never been fired, but has new everything: valves, springs, cam, TRW pistons, bearings, refurbed rods, freeze plugs, etc. The downside is that it has sat so long, and has enough dirt about that it should be taken apart, cleaned and re-gasketed. You can have the engine stand too. I don't have an engine lift anymore though, so you would provide that when you show up.

Price is $4,200 (which is about what I have into just the radio, interior, and rear bumper!) - Clear VA title - The car cover is a California Car Cover one, made for the car that cost $250 and comes with it too

703-785-8636

(Note: I also have a Dick Boneski rebuilt 1962 Tri-Power, complete with one piece air cleaner, which is available separately)

I have several pics - but need to figure out how to host them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1962_01.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	413977   Click image for larger version

Name:	1962_02.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	413978   Click image for larger version

Name:	1962_03.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	413979   Click image for larger version

Name:	1962_04.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	413980   Click image for larger version

Name:	1962_05.jpg
Views:	343
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	413981  

Old 12-03-2015, 09:59 PM

Slick looking project. Do you have the original Bonneville side trim for the car? Did you weld up the trim clip holes? Any other spare parts that go with the car?

Bill.

Old 12-05-2015, 11:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This IS a serious bargain for someone. If I wasn't already covered up with projects I would be all over this thing.

Good luck with your sale here it ought to go quick IMO!

Old 12-05-2015, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by a421cat View Post
Slick looking project. Do you have the original Bonneville side trim for the car? Did you weld up the trim clip holes? Any other spare parts that go with the car?

Bill.
Nope - I don't have the Bonneville trim (except for the tail panel piece). The gameplan was to weld up and extend Catalina trim to use on the sides. I have all of the pieces necessary to finish that part. There really isn't much spare that comes with the car, with the exception of the additional 389.

-Shaggy