Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any chain saw experts?

I borrowed my dad's chain saw, and as part of the deal, I want to put it in top-notch condition when I return it. It's in pretty good condition since it's only seen homeowner use. I'm no expert on these, and a few of things happened while using it.

It's a little hard to start and keep running when cold. Runs fine when warmed up.

I used it to fell a tree and started cutting it up. At one point the engine was running at speed, but the chain stalled, even with no load on it. The oiler is working fine and I even cranked it up to max oil delivery. I let it cool off a bit, then it worked fine. It did a fine job on my dead tree.

Second time, it seemed down on power. I could cut logs, but had to go gently or the engine would slow.

Any help is appreciated. It's an Echo CS-330EVL single cylinder 2-stroke.

Old 06-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Senior Chief

Bad gas, old gas, improperly mixed gas and a gummed up carburetor could be the cause. Also, if Sta-bil was used in the past, it has a tendancy to gum up the carb. The spark arrestor could be bad as well.

Dump out the old gas, mix up some new oil/gas, clean out the carb with some carb cleaner and give it a try.

Chain saw dust and oil can also gum up the linkage. A thorough cleaning will help.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:04 PM

Don't forget to keep the chain nice and sharp. It's amazing the difference between a sharp and dull chain, like a whole new saw when sharp.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:30 PM
Senior Chief

Good point. If the shavings are large and chunky, chain is sharp. If powdery, dull. Also smell for smoldering or burnt/discolored wood, another sign of a dull chain. Check for bluing on the cutters.

Old 06-14-2007, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seen green trees(cottonwoods-10/12" thk) in the spring/early summer have so much water(sap), that it keeps the saw from cutting.
I cut'm half way, let bleed out couple days, then finish'm.

Is Stabil not good for 2 cycle fuel?
Just wonder'n. Use my stuff often enough not to worry bout fuel go'n bad.

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-14-2007, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot.
Gumout works well in 2 cycle carbs/lines if unit been sit'n to long.
Just mix bout 10% with fuel, the make your 40-1, or whatever it should be.
May take a coupe-2-3 tank fulls to clean up.
Got a free lawn mower and weedwacker do to no maintaince(gum'd up)

http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/b...hop/?start=100
Old 06-15-2007, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Carbs...

will not stay adjusted. Adjust the low speed screw for the highest RPM setting. Hold it wide open running and adjust the high speed for same...highest/smoothest rpm. Should start easy and rev well. If not...there are mechanical issues. Good luck. I hate borrowing stuff! lol Ron

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for your help. The chain is sharp as evidenced by the chunks of chopped up wood. I'll think I'll try fresh gas, gumout, a new plug, and carb tweaking. I suspect the gas is old since dad is 84 and doesn't use it much anymore. Heck, he hasn't climbed trees with it since he was 80.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

WOW! Climbing trees at 80! Good for him. I have just climbing a ladder at a little over 60. Mortality raises its ugly head.
cm

Old 06-16-2007, 09:59 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That should read "I have trouble just climbing a ladder...."
cm