Old 11-29-2015, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Keith. So now the VIN sticker has to be crooked and the import sticker clocked 4 hours off of TDC.

HFR - any luck on the 985? I googled around some the other evening, but couldn't find anything.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

here is another Canadian decal pic from a GTO which I realize is not the same plant as Norwood. But, I bet it's safe to say from other conformance decal pics and Keith's pic that great care was not taken to clock or level either of the decals
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...=698107&page=2

Old 11-29-2015, 10:59 AM
Senior Chief

Could the 985 be a Union number?

Old 11-29-2015, 11:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

That was my thought as well or possibly a border inspection number.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 11-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has anyone used Rust Prevention Magic ("RPM") produced and sold by ECS? I tried it on the prop valve and will interested to see how it holds up. The prop valve was stripped, holes plugged, and then media blasted. Once it was blasted I hit it with the wire wheel. The whole thing then went to White Post and was rebuilt. It was delivered back to me exactly one week I after I mailed it out.

The RPM stuff is like the consistency of somewhat dry mink oil waterproofing. They recommend heating the part with a heat gun/hair dryer, and then applying the product with a stiff natural bristle brush. Let it soak in, and after the part cools rub off the excess. Once finished it has a slight waxy type feel. We are going to do a test sample on a piece of steel and leave it outside. I'll report back the results. Here's the prop valve before and after application. There is no visual difference. The lighting makes the part look shinier than it really is.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The round blue Canada Transport Decal is known as the "National Safety Mark". I found the registry of NSM numbers and searched for General Motors and it came back "985". Here are the links if you want to see them. Each manufacturer had to register to be allowed to affix those decals to certify the cars met Canadian Safety Standards and each manufacturer got a 3 digit identifier:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/motorvehicl...-faq_e-702.htm

http://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/saf-sec-sur/...neral%20Motors

Old 11-29-2015, 05:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Rick. I kept thinking it was a regulation number pertaining to the transporting of a vehicle. I didn't think they were using them in the '70 model year though.

Old 11-29-2015, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike, I had a hard time finding any reference to them at all till I found a forum where they referred to the decal by the NSM name and then it was much easier. GM was 985, Ford was 977 and Chrysler was 972. I'm not sure what date they began using the decal though.

Old 12-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Slowly, but surely moving forward on the Black Car. The first load of parts have come back from the powder coat guy, and another batch was dropped off including the air cleaner. The stuff that came back looks great. He really does a nice job.

The new panels have also been fully assembled. I got the upgraded uppers from Legendary and they are fantastic. Then I caught big sale at Classic and bought OER lowers, arm rests, door pulls and remote mirror trim. Add in new window crank logo fillers, and they look fantastic. The lower door pockets from OER were really nice. Dead straight with good grain pattern, and all the necessary hardware. I was surprised that the new door pulls did not include the special screws you need, and that window crank fillers did not include the backing plates. I swapped out screws on the old door panels, and made my own backing plates, but I was surprised nonetheless. Here's a couple pictures.

Old 12-26-2015, 08:30 PM

Looking good as always Bob..

Old 12-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What a logistical challenge! Looks great Bob!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 12-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Yes fantastic as always...was also surprised regarding the lack of backing plates...

Old 12-27-2015, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, can you show the panel insides? The connector that holds the panel to door that always cracked?

Old 12-27-2015, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike - I'll get you picture at some point, but I have already wrapped the panels and put them away. I bought the Legendary "preassembled" panels which have a rolled metal inner structure at the top where the originals had the rolled plastic that always cracked. The "preassembled" also has the inner window sweep already stapled in place. These were expensive, but very high quality pieces.

Old 12-27-2015, 01:21 PM
Suspended

Cool

Been long time since I've worked w OEM door panels, and never w your vintage here.

Was the remove & replace from original panels backing plates easy straightforward or any details you'd care to share on those specifics?

Panels look great and was surprised that the new lower repop's were spot on grain & fit wise..was expecting opposite based on other products Dashes, etc.

Salute to MPD from me.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll go ahead and try to pull them out of the stash tomorrow and show a photo of the back. The Legendary pre-assembled upper door panles already have the rolled upper backing in the window opening area installed, and it is metal instead of plastic. They are wonderful.

Old 12-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the back of the assembled drivers side door panel.

Old 12-28-2015, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bob, those look like excellent quality pieces, better than original due to the metal upper structure. My originals look pretty good other than the plastic upper structures being in several pieces, but I may haul off and replace them someday with those Legendary reproductions.

Old 12-28-2015, 07:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

They look great but the million dollar question is how do they fit on the door?

Old 12-28-2015, 08:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by njsteve View Post
They look great but the million dollar question is how do they fit on the door?
I'll know when I get the car back, but their fit is pretty far down my worry list. I haven't heard any complaints about Legendary fitment, and the OER lower door panels were the exact size of the originals.

Got the intake off the engine today and started stripping it down for cleaning and fresh paint. MPD wanted me to tell you that you should have replaced the heater hose nipple when you rebuilt the engine. He saved it to give back to you when he returns the car after we get it perfect. Ha, ha...