Old 12-23-2019, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default Forged axles

How do you tell the difference between the forged and cast axles?

Are forged ones necessary?

If getting new axles are there strong affordable
Options?

I probably won’t buy and put 4:33 back in. But, if I do will the cast axles hold up?

Is a visual inspection on my good enough?

Old 12-24-2019, 04:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since no one else is posting .... I wasn't aware that cast axles were ever used, I thought they were all various types of cold rolled steel rod.

Old 12-24-2019, 04:51 PM
Senior Chief

First off search this forum for the visual differences. It's obvious when compared forged against cast but you need some pics to really help. There was some discussion that one or three holes in flange were an indication but never anything conclusive. I tore down a 69 3.55 4 pinion, nodular housing that did have forged axles. Disappointingly it suffered the typical damage from a failed axle bearing of the early type . I'd like to tag on this discussion. If you buy replacement axles is it possible to convert to the late 69 bearing style?

Old 12-24-2019, 05:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don’t know how to post a picture but if you PM an e-mail address to me I can get pictures of a 69 Firebird forged vs regular axle flange to you to post for others to see. I assume they are the same as A body axels except for length.

Old 12-24-2019, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have found the F-body axles has one hole at flange and A-body axles has three holes at flange.
Non-forged axles has a straight smooth surface along the axle lenght to the splines and the forged ones has a ruff tapered surface to the splines.

http://gtoaa.org/