Old 12-28-2019, 05:53 PM

Default 65-67 gto hood scoop inquiry

So, I had been looking for a 65-67 hood scoop to put on a tempest hood. The hood is in great shape seemed a waste to buy a whole new hood foot a scoop... problem is no one sells a gto metal or fiberglass scoop. Luckily I found a donor hood locally that came off a car that had caught fire (scoops still perfect shape).

Anyways, got me thinking ...maybe I should make a mold out of this scoop and make a fiberglass one for people doing a clone or something.
I guess what I'm wondering is if anyone other than me has looked/needed/wanted a fiber glass hood scoop????? Thanks for comments and opinions.

Old 12-28-2019, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think you'll find most of the people who want to add a fibreglass scoop are more inclined to go with the Chevy cowl induction. No numbers to back this up, just an impression I got. They also made ~250k (over three years) of legit GTO hoods, and now there are the reproductions. Not trying to talk you out of it, just thinking it's a limited market?

If there isn't one already, an open scoop insert that fits the originals could prove popular?

Old 12-29-2019, 01:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chevy cowl induction hood on a Pontiac should be considered sacrilegious.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:11 PM

I think the biggest problem is trying to mate a fiberglass scoop to a steel hood. Back in the ‘70s I remember this was quite popular to do, with the results being cracked paint not long after probably due to the different expansion rates of steel and fiberglass.

Honestly I don’t see it being a profitable endeavor as muscle car enthusiasts have moved past ‘glassing hood scoops onto the hoods of their cars, especially so with so many nice reproduction steel muscle car hoods available now.

Old 12-29-2019, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

To add that scoop that was saved, you need a Pontiac hood that's made for a Pontiac hood scoop. Now if you're a good metal fabricator that can fit a donor section for a Pontiac hood scoop to a Tempest hood it could work. Other than that you'll end up with a POS.

As for a fiberglass scoop on a Pontiac hood.... that would be a POS. You know the old saying? You don't mess with Mother Nature, or she'll bite you in the buttocks.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With today's panel bonding adhesives I suspect fastening a fiberglass scoop to a steel hood won't have the same problems of the past. Even if you don't find a market for reproductions, it would be easy enough to make a mold to have on hand just in case.

Old 12-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Chevy cowl induction hood on a Pontiac should be considered sacrilegious.
In 1984 I put an L88 scoop on a TA. All my friends thought it was great

Can't believe I admit that.