Old 10-08-2019, 03:20 PM

Default '56 Pontiac Safari

I seeking info on 56 safari. Parts I know are missing include
Inner front fender wells
Front radiator support and front sheet metal . It has nice front fenders, hood grill, two front bumpers etc

Someone previously took the whole front clip off for what ever reason and missing part must have been left somewhere

Are 56 chevy parts of above the same? ( ive found those aftermarket refab. Or are 56 pontiac parts of above available new or used original

Im still sorting through what was stored inside the car to see what else is missing.... Might be missing heater blower and firewall parts

I already researched the Vin #

Old 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM

Old 10-08-2019, 04:50 PM

I'll add. Rust search.....The car looks pretty rust free in general in the usual fisher body areas, a Colorado Desert area car. Has a couple small spots.

For a western desert car what areas should I look for rust on this pontiac that you other guys have had rust at ?

The usual areas I know about on a Chevy look real good..

Old 10-08-2019, 04:55 PM

Old 10-08-2019, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Pontiac parts are out there, many of the "Nomad" parts are reproduced. Lots of support here. Nice find.

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 10-08-2019, 06:00 PM

Main thing I need info on right now is the inner front fender wells and front radiator area inner sheet metal

I'm kinda thinking 56 chevy stuff might be different....?

Old 10-08-2019, 06:44 PM

I doubt the fender wells or radiator sheet metal is the same as a Chevy, but it should be the same as any other 1956 Pontiac. Try Steve Barcak at Pontiac Heaven in Arizona for parts. http://www.pontiacheaven.org

Old 10-09-2019, 07:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The inner fender wells and radiator support sheet metal are the same for all 1955-56 Pontiacs. Nothing else will do.

Those parts are NOT same for Chevy. Pontiac and Chevy share upper body parts only (firewall back and above floor pan), such as glass, doors, lift/tail gate. Nomad and Safari share some body parts and some trim. Virtually nothing else is shared between Chevy and Pontiac. Body parts ONLY. Front end is not part of body.

Pontiac and Chevy station wagon bodies were made in the same Fisher Body plant and then shipped to respective Chevy and Pontiac assembly plants -- where each did their own thing with the rest of the car and they are much different. For non-body parts, Pontiac shares more with Olds than Chevy.

Old 10-09-2019, 05:13 PM

Larry,

Someone referred me to this site and you as the Safari guy expert

Are there any other sources of inner fender wells, etc. other than Pontiac Steve in AZ

Old 10-09-2019, 06:23 PM

You could put an ad in the parts wanted section here: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...play.php?f=450
If you haven't already, join the Pontiac-Oakland Club International: https://www.poci.org The monthly magazine is worth the admission cost and it has a good classified ads section. There are also local chapters throughout the country, chances are there's one close to you (by the way, it helps if you put your location in your profile.)

Old 10-09-2019, 08:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Miller View Post
Larry,

Someone referred me to this site and you as the Safari guy expert

Are there any other sources of inner fender wells, etc. other than Pontiac Steve in AZ

I'm confused! Are you Rick Bowerman? I got emails from Rick 4 days ago asking for the same parts you are asking for. I replied to Rick and suggested he join this forum. I also suggested he visit my website and see the "Links" page for references to salvage yards that have Pontiac parts, including Pontiac Heaven.

I know quite a bit about 1955-57 Pontiacs/Safaris but do not consider myself the "expert". The combine knowledge of all the Pontiac enthusiasts here is the "expert".

Old 10-11-2019, 12:22 AM

I asked over on HAMB about Safaris.... Stuart from HAMB referred you Larry and this website..... Probably the same Stuart above (thanks Stuart).... Hope that clears up your confusion

Never got a Email from you.

Just searching for Safari info

Old 10-11-2019, 08:05 AM

Yup, that was me.

Old 10-11-2019, 10:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's email message I got from Rick Bowerman
"Some on at Hamb refered me to your website

Im looking Info / parts that will fit '56 Pontiac safari. Im missing these completely : inner fender wells, and radiator support sheet metal. Are these available reproduction or etc . Or are 56 chevy parts the same ? Also driver side front floor pan (at least) .

Rick Lake Elsinore"
I replied to two of his emails but never got a reply from him.
JD, where are you located?

Old 10-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Like I said , I never got a email reply from you. Nothing in my spam folder either

Sorry, I was just looking for info, didnt mean to cause a big to do

Last edited by JD Miller; 10-11-2019 at 03:35 PM.
Old 10-12-2019, 04:46 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Miller View Post
Like I said , I never got a email reply from you. Nothing in my spam folder either

Sorry, I was just looking for info, didnt mean to cause a big to do

No problem JD, not a big to do, just trying to figure out who is who. The email I got and replied to was from Rick Bowerman. You are JD Miller. Two different names, different people, it seems? But both asking for the same things at about the same time for '56 Safari.

It doesn't really matter, I'll help where I can whether it is two people or one.

Let us know where you are located, that may help us to assist you in finding your needed parts locally without paying big shipping cost.

Old 10-14-2019, 06:57 AM

I'm the one that contacted you on the inner fenders on the HAMB. I also have the heater blower and my buddy has the tailgate stainless if you are missing that. If the tail lights are missing those can be kind of hard to find. That most certainly should be saved.

Old 10-15-2019, 05:03 PM

Thanks pknopp

I still havent sorted through boxes of everything, I saw the taillights in there somewhere. There are alot of extra trim and interior parts too from other 55,56 pontiacs also

I am storing a 49 ford that looks interesting too.... Body is done sealed and customized, Has built 302 ford and c4

The Following User Says Thank You to JD Miller For This Useful Post: