Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 05-22-2018, 01:47 PM

Default Spring Compressor Needed?

I'm getting ready to do my disc conversion on the front of my 65 Tempest with the parts I got last year from Inline. The question I have is do I need a spring compressor or can I take the ball joint nuts loose, drop out the old spindle and install the new one just using a floor jack to lower the bottom spindle down and taking it apart? Or am I better to just buy a set of spring compressors and save myself the hassle and be safer?

Old 05-22-2018, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just as you described, split the upper and lower ball joints and remove and replace the spindle.

No spring compressor is needed as the shock is in the center of the spring and limits the lower control arm, although with a floor jack under it there should be no need to limit anything, as the weight of the car will keep the spring compressed anyway.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 05-22-2018, 02:49 PM
Suspended

I have done my fair share of disc conversions and never needed to change the steering knuckle. But if I did, a floor jack is all I would need. However, for someone that is inexperienced at this kind of job a spring compressor would be a good safety feature.

Old 05-22-2018, 03:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I have done my fair share of disc conversions and never needed to change the steering knuckle. But if I did, a floor jack is all I would need. However, for someone that is inexperienced at this kind of job a spring compressor would be a good safety feature.
If the shock is installed, there is absolutely no need for a spring compressor. The spring cannot move due to the shock being bolted at both ends to the frame, and the lower control arm, plus being located in the center of the spring, it is completely captive and there is absolutely no way it can even move out of the spring buckets/mounts, The movement of the lower control arm is limited by the extension length of the shock. Even if the OP lowered the floor jack the shock will stop the lower control arm from dropping more than an inch or two, in effect doing the same thing that a spring compressor would do in the absence of a shock ..…………………

If anyone can remove a front coil spring with the shock attached at both ends, please video tape it so I can be astounded at my ineptness. After over 45 years as a mechanic, I have never seen any way to remove a front coil spring on a GM RWD car, with the shock attached to the frame, and lower control arm..………………….

Buying a spring compressor for the job described, would be a total waste of money.

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 05-22-2018 at 03:53 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 05:16 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
If the shock is installed, there is absolutely no need for a spring compressor. The spring cannot move due to the shock being bolted at both ends to the frame, and the lower control arm, plus being located in the center of the spring, it is completely captive and there is absolutely no way it can even move out of the spring buckets/mounts, The movement of the lower control arm is limited by the extension length of the shock. Even if the OP lowered the floor jack the shock will stop the lower control arm from dropping more than an inch or two, in effect doing the same thing that a spring compressor would do in the absence of a shock ..…………………

If anyone can remove a front coil spring with the shock attached at both ends, please video tape it so I can be astounded at my ineptness. After over 45 years as a mechanic, I have never seen any way to remove a front coil spring on a GM RWD car, with the shock attached to the frame, and lower control arm..………………….

Buying a spring compressor for the job described, would be a total waste of money.
45 years and you have never seen a shock come apart?!?! I am not saying it is common, but it can and does happen. I also never said that it was necessary to do the job with one, I said that using one would be an added safety feature for an inexperienced person.

And who said the OP had to buy one??? Most big box auto parts stores either rent them out or loan them for free these days.

Lastly, if you have a Super 8 projector I'll get you that video.

Old 05-22-2018, 06:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dont be skeered.

No spring compressor needed.
I changed many a spring and lower A arm bushing without.

I have used a piece of all threadwith 2 nuts, one at each end in the place of the shock. Then let the nut down (unscrew) to relieve the spring. And actually It didnt seem that it was even needed. Once the A arm is down far enough you can pry the spring from the seat and remove without issue.

So in reality , Put the car on stands, Then lift the LCA with the jack. Seperate the upper and lower ball joints, remove the spindle. Then you can just remove the shock,Lower the jack and pry the spring out with the arm extended all the way down. TIP loosen the lower control arm bushing through bolts before lowering the jack so it moves easily and doesnt bind .

You would be hard pressed to use a spring compressor on the spring as you might think.

Trust me. I do this **** everyday for a living

Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Dont be skeered.

No spring compressor needed.
I changed many a spring and lower A arm bushing without.

I have used a piece of all threadwith 2 nuts, one at each end in the place of the shock. Then let the nut down (unscrew) to relieve the spring. And actually It didnt seem that it was even needed. Once the A arm is down far enough you can pry the spring from the seat and remove without issue.

So in reality , Put the car on stands, Then lift the LCA with the jack. Seperate the upper and lower ball joints, remove the spindle. Then you can just remove the shock,Lower the jack and pry the spring out with the arm extended all the way down. TIP loosen the lower control arm bushing through bolts before lowering the jack so it moves easily and doesnt bind .

You would be hard pressed to use a spring compressor on the spring as you might think.

Trust me. I do this **** everyday for a living
And you trust a piece of Grade 2 steel? Okay

OP will be safer with trusting the shock.

Old 05-22-2018, 07:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Chief. The point is you dont need any of it.

Besides the "soft piece " of steel is harder than I can chew through and with the LCA all the way down the spring tension is not heavy.I used it a time or two until I realized how to do it without any compressor, bolt ,allthread anything.Done it many times.

But if you want to, fumble with your spring compressor or whatever you deem necessary. Whatever.

Old 05-22-2018, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I always do it with a good chain wrapped around the spring and cross member, just for glee!

Old 05-22-2018, 08:38 PM
Suspended

Did some people not read what I said?

Quote:
No where did I say "required".

It's kind of like wearing a seat belt. No you do not need it but it is a good safety feature

Last edited by Chief of the 60's; 05-22-2018 at 08:44 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Feelin Butthurt?

Get over yourself man

Your quote clearly states your lack of experience

Chill out

Old 05-22-2018, 09:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATECH View Post
Feelin Butthurt?

Get over yourself man

Your quote clearly states your lack of experience

Chill out
You're an idiot and your Grade 2 All-thread proved that. Years doing something halfassed does not mean you know what you are doing. But your irony is rather amusing.

Last edited by Chief of the 60's; 05-22-2018 at 09:51 PM.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OOh name calling and large print

So much for helping the OP.

Old 05-22-2018, 09:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
You're an idiot and your Grade 2 All-thread proved that. 45 years doing something halfassed does not mean you know what you are doing. But your irony is rather amusing.
Done editing yet ?

Cant get it right the first time?

And I am the Idiot. OK. Sure

Good luck getting the OP back on the road.

You should lose the attitude and be helpful once in a while

Old 05-22-2018, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Define "come apart". Of course I've seen a shock break, such as the but it's pretty evident if it's broken. The cross shaft bolted to the lower control arm could be broken, again you'd see it hanging down. The bottom eyelet could be broken, again pretty evident surveyed even by a casual DIY wrench.

Since external spring compressors commonly will not work on a GM springs because they contact the frame and cannot reach the upper coils to compress the spring, the only alternative is a internal spring compressor with the hooks on it that go up through the center of the spring. The shock would have to be removed from the car to use one. Since I've changed probably 200 sets of GM front springs I'm not seeing any value in using a spring compressor to change spindles, I've never used one and don't even know how either style could be used, without removing parts on the suspension that don't require being removed, shock, sway bar links.

I'll stick by what I said, no spring compressor is needed with the shock and sway bar connected. The lower control arm cannot drop by splitting both ball joints to replace a spindle. With the jack under the lower A frame there is no stress on the shock, so even if the shock was missing, it's still not going anywhere because the weight of the car secures it.

FWIW, grade 2, 3/8 inch all thread has a tensile strength of 5750 Lbs., that's just shy of 3 tons The LATECH is probably speaking about using 1/2 inch all thread which has 10,500 Lb. tensile strength, over 5 tons. He's not anywhere near being dangerous using either.

The main thing is the OP has no need to replace the spring or even touch the spring to replace a spindle. He doesn't need to remove the spring at all. A shock shaft is tempered steel and usually roughly 1/2 inch. tapering down to 3/8 inch fine thread, the shock isn't going to "break" with 5-800 Lbs. pushing against it, when the spring is close to fully extended it doesn't have much stored energy in it.

I have a healthy respect for coil springs, but I'm not unduly scared of them. Common sense and good work habits got me to 65 YO. Working on cars everyday for my livelihood and listening to the elder mechanics saved me from injuries, and working harder than I needed to. I never give any advise on this board that is unsafe, or not proven to work. Work smart and not hard.

1984 Grand Prix

Last edited by Sirrotica; 05-23-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2018, 08:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just changed my whole front end out. I didn't use a compressor. But, pay attention and respect the power of that spring. Don't get sloppy with the floor jack placement. You can do it.

Old 05-23-2018, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

For what it’s worth I did the same job and DID use a spring compressor. Disc brake conversion that used different spindles. It may not be necessary with some of the other techniques described. For me, I had never done it before and the directions for the disc brake conversion said to remove the shock and use a spring compressor. I simply followed directions and all came out well.

I read the directions before I attempted the job and made sure I had all the tools described. It would probably be quicker to just leave the shock installed if you feel comfortable going it. But your like me and wanted to follow the documented directions you have in hand, rather than trying to extrapolate from multiple sources bickering on a message board, going and renting the compressor from autozone or something will get the job done.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports

Last edited by RocktimusPryme; 05-23-2018 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-23-2018, 02:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Amen Brother!

Old 05-23-2018, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes. 1/2 inch allthread a time or two. IIRC 5/8 will actually fit though.

Not needed in either case.

I only post here to help others out. I dont come here to argue with others. But when the BS meter goes off and an unsuspecting OP could be in trouble ....well ..........

One thing is , I know what I am doing , as I have been a professional wrench for 35+ years .It is my liveliehood, not just a hobby . I am licensed and certified as well.

So when someone starts using large print (yelling) and calling me an Idiot ,it does not bode well.

Old 06-01-2018, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have changed over to disc brakes many times with just the weight of the car and a good jack. This time however I don’t have the weight of the car so I am using a good quality spring compressor not one of those 35 dollar hook ons